General Election 2019 thread (6 Viewers)

Astute

Do you really think policy wonks don’t exist? You may disagree but there’s plenty of reasoning behind most of these projects (except Brexit)
Oh really?

To have reasoning behind something doesn't mean something is right. Agreed?

Now you can change your answer. There is reasoning behind Brexit. Doesn't mean it is right or wrong. There is reasoning behind free internet for everyone although it would cost us nearly 40 billion to start with and hundreds of millions a year to keep it going. Doesn't mean it is right or wrong.

So why is it that a Labour thing always has reasoning but a Tory thing never does?

Shows what you say is nothing but propaganda. And it won't make a difference to anything. Because the only people who agree with you most of the time are those who come out with the same propaganda.

Astute

"It's not right that people have to sell their homes to pay for social care"
What he means by that is that they should be selling them to pay for insulin, dialysis and chemotherapy, and we will be once he's flogged the NHS
And what about what Labour did to the NHS when in power last time? All done after saying that they would invest in the NHS. Whereas you are playing a guessing game on little evidence other than they might do the same as Labour did.

clint van damme

And what about what Labour did to the NHS when in power last time? All done after saying that they would invest in the NHS. Whereas you are playing a guessing game on little evidence other than they might do the same as Labour did.

I'm not playing a guessing game I'm basing it on evidence. Even the current health secretary took a payment from a privatisation lobbyist.
As for Labour last time if you think Labour under Corbyn is the same as under Blair then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

shmmeee

Oh really?

To have reasoning behind something doesn't mean something is right. Agreed?

Now you can change your answer. There is reasoning behind Brexit. Doesn't mean it is right or wrong. There is reasoning behind free internet for everyone although it would cost us nearly 40 billion to start with and hundreds of millions a year to keep it going. Doesn't mean it is right or wrong.

So why is it that a Labour thing always has reasoning but a Tory thing never does?

Shows what you say is nothing but propaganda. And it won't make a difference to anything. Because the only people who agree with you most of the time are those who come out with the same propaganda.

What’s the reasoning behind Brexit? I’ve been asking for three years and no one can tell me

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah but then some muppet goes & cuts em down...
Packham blasts council over 800 chopped trees

He's also said that people can plant trees in their gardens but acknowledges they often get too big so he suggests cutting them down at that point and starting again. It's not the best for wildlife, which often requires aged trees to provide more habitat space, but as a measure for the environment it's better than nothing.

I'm not a big fan of tree lined streets - they cause a lot of problems and are costly to maintain. Doesn't mean I'm not aware of climate issues and just feel there are better solutions to be had.

shmmeee

Mate. Corbyns not a Blairite. This argument is silly.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

How on earth do you maintain a tree? There are frigging thousands of them huddled together in the New Forest & similar. They just grow if left alone. Anyone that gets too close just needs to be reminded of the risk they are taking by moving closer to the tree!

Those forests are very carefully managed - the are not just 'left to grow'. It's one of the arts of it - how to manage it but make it look like you aren't.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Do I like him???

He's certainly some of the things you list there. Not all but you have to look beyond the headlines rather than being so quick to judge...like abandoning his kids. Was it him abandoning them? Or was it an unhealthy relationship with his partner for his kids to be party to?

What about his lovechild? The one he refuses to acknowledge and never sees? And there are strong rumours he has another one but again is making sure it's kept out of the public domain.

Astute

I'm not playing a guessing game I'm basing it on evidence. Even the current health secretary took a payment from a privatisation lobbyist.
As for Labour last time if you think Labour under Corbyn is the same as under Blair then we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Did we know that Labour was going to speed up privatisation of the NHS?

Just like we don't know now.

shmmeee

He's also said that people can plant trees in their gardens but acknowledges they often get too big so he suggests cutting them down at that point and starting again. It's not the best for wildlife, which often requires aged trees to provide more habitat space, but as a measure for the environment it's better than nothing.

I'm not a big fan of tree lined streets - they cause a lot of problems and are costly to maintain. Doesn't mean I'm not aware of climate issues and just feel there are better solutions to be had.

As I understand it you can’t plant a tree where one used to be. I like street trees, they can be done sensibly and have lots of social benefits for health and education performance.

I’d like to see council tax reductions for front garden greenery, not sure how you’d administer it though.

clint van damme

Did we know that Labour was going to speed up privatisation of the NHS?

Just like we don't know now.

Like I say, evidence.
If as much evidence existed that I was going to shit in someone's coat pocket as exists in relation to the Tories selling of the NHS, even if I vehemently denied it you still wouldn't leave your coat on the back of my chair!

Astute

What’s the reasoning behind Brexit? I’ve been asking for three years and no one can tell me
Not being told what to do by those who are nothing to do with the UK.

Being able to trade freely with who we want.

Not having those from the EU interfere with what we want to do.

And not paying them billions each year to do it to us.

shmmeee

Not being told what to do by those who are nothing to do with the UK.

Being able to trade freely with who we want.

Not having those from the EU interfere with what we want to do.

And not paying them billions each year to do it to us.

But none of those are remotely true and mostly based on feels. It’s not like say HS2 where there’s details reports into expected results.

Astute

Mate. Corbyns not a Blairite. This argument is silly.
Why is it? Bliar wasn't going to do it but he did.

You don't know what a Labour government would do this time. Just like you don't know what a Tory government would do this time. But you will say differently though.

Astute

Like I say, evidence.
If as much evidence existed that I was going to shit in someone's coat pocket as exists in relation to the Tories selling of the NHS, even if I vehemently denied it you still wouldn't leave your coat on the back of my chair!
What evidence?

Hearsay isn't evidence.

clint van damme

You don't know what a Labour government would do this time. Just like you don't know what a Tory government would do this time. But you will say differently though.

There is a weight of evidence that one party will put it up for grabs as part of a trade deal and no evidence the other will.

I can say fairly confidently that only one party is a threat to the NHS. I'm sure you'll argue, if I said the NHS is safe under the Tories you'd argue with me.

clint van damme

What evidence?

Hearsay isn't evidence.

Donald Try.p saying it in front of the British media while stood next to the them PM is heresay?
The US ambassador, (or was it trade envoy), said it on national TV, is that hearsay?
The meetings between Tories representatives and US pharma companies. Hearsay? Ok then!

Astute

There is a weight of evidence that one party will put it up for grabs as part of a trade deal and no evidence the other will.

I can say fairly confidently that only one party is a threat to the NHS. I'm sure you'll argue, if I said the NHS is safe under the Tories you'd argue with me.
I won't argue.

But it isn't impossible under Labour.

Why is it the Tories will do again what they have done before but Labour will.never do again what they did before?

Remember it is Labour that has to find hundreds of billions of pounds.

Astute

Donald Try.p saying it in front of the British media while stood next to the them PM is heresay?
The US ambassador, (or was it trade envoy), said it on national TV, is that hearsay?
The meetings between Tories representatives and US pharma companies. Hearsay? Ok then!
Said what though?

Why is it that Trump is a bigger twat than Boris and should never be taken notice of unless you want everyone to take notice of what he says?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Well perhaps you don't really want to know and just want to argue with anyone who dares to explain it to you.

Ian1779

Here you go again.

The Labour party IS a shambles. But you refuse to even consider it. You prefer to come out with excuses for Labour.

No it is not... it’s just not in the format that YOU want it to be.

Given how much you (rightly) hate Blair... but all of a sudden you can no longer vote Labour??

Maybe get off the bloody fence and pick a side once and for all.

Walsgrave

Amidst all the bickering is some good news for all - registrations are up over 800,000 compared to last time round! Whatever side these voters are on, its undoubtedly good for our democracy. Some of these will be repeat registrations but imo that just means people are keener to vote, not a bad thing at all!

shmmeee

Let’s all just flip a coin then shall we?

Such nonsense. There is such a thing as political ideology, even if it doesn’t suit your need to whinge.

fernandopartridge

They did invest in the NHS significantly, its budget grew on average by 6.3% in real terms each year every year whilst they were in power.

I'm not sure why I'm getting drawn into your nonsense anyway, this is my last post on the topic.

Philosorapter

Well, I put it down to Statehood mainly. As a country we did have a Civil War or two a few hundred years back about these ideas and what it means to live in a common-wealth.

I am personally in favour of Democracy and letting people choose their own destiny.

Last edited:

Astute

No it is not... it’s just not in the format that YOU want it to be.

Given how much you (rightly) hate Blair... but all of a sudden you can no longer vote Labour??

Maybe get off the bloody fence and pick a side once and for all.
As I keep saying I am worried where these hundreds of billions of pounds are going to come from. Is it right that we should saddle the younger generations with so much debt? Would you look forward to the Tories getting back in and having a very bad time with austerity to pay for it?

Astute

Let’s all just flip a coin then shall we?

Such nonsense. There is such a thing as political ideology, even if it doesn’t suit your need to whinge.
My need to whinge?

Desperate measures hey Shme?

Astute

They did invest in the NHS significantly, its budget grew on average by 6.3% in real terms each year every year whilst they were in power.

I'm not sure why I'm getting drawn into your nonsense anyway, this is my last post on the topic.
They also speeded up privatisation of the NHS as you well know.

Astute

Well, I put it down to Statehood mainly. As a country we did have a Civil War or two a few hundred years back about these ideas and what it means to live in a common-wealth.

I am personally in favour of Democracy and letting people choose their own destiny.
Democracy is good unless someone is on the losing side.

Philosorapter

Democracy is good unless someone is on the losing side.

The only good thing about Democracy is its intrinsic natures of Liberty and Equality.

Then someone gets elected and it's all downhill from there.

The problem being that not many people who use the democratic process to get in to Government use the same processes when they govern.

Ian1779

As I keep saying I am worried where these hundreds of billions of pounds are going to come from. Is it right that we should saddle the younger generations with so much debt? Would you look forward to the Tories getting back in and having a very bad time with austerity to pay for it?

The difference is that Labour will invest in something that my children may benefit in, the Tories will merely line the pockets of already very rich people.

Users who are viewing this thread