"Gel" (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Lampard: New-look Chelsea need time to gel

ESPN staff

July 25, 2012

Mucca Mad Boys

Are you doing this for a bet?

I think the important point was Moyes played with 2 banks of 4 which according to some is out of date and dominated United who played a more "modern" system. If you think the 2 strikers permanently stand next to each other in a 4-4-2 and behind one another in 4-4-1-1 then I'm glad your just a fan and not in charge.

2 banks of 4 is brilliant for defending, not attacking, but as I've noticed when I've watched Everton (I went a couple of times with my Everton ST friend when Cov were away) they don't really keep the 2 banks as they attack as Fellaini got forward with Cahill + Jelavic whilst Gibson stayed back to knock the ball around.

Also, Everton's wingers arn't as advanced (in terms of pushing forward) so they don't play as forward and the same is with Hibbert at RB, solid at defending, not very good at going forward.

Source: Everton ST holder... :whistle:

dongonzalos

Think it us pretty obvious that the people in football accept when you introduce a handful of new players unto a first 11. It rakes a bit of time for the players to get a good understanding of each others playing styles.

However I also accept lots if teams in league one are in this boat.

How long it takes and how it affects different teams. I guess that depends on the players. Looks to me like wood and Malaga developed a goof understanding pretty quickly.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Yes but isn't that the point of a forum, to vent your frustration or praise the team and people to offer different opinions. If we have to wait 10 games before anyone can give an opinion we may as well shut the site down for a couple of months or talk about the weather or the price of Argentinian plums.

Can I just ask where you buy your Argentinian plums? I buy mine for 1.19p a kilo but I'm sure they must be cheaper elsewhere. :thinking about: I've tried Peruvian plums but they just don't taste the same do they?

ClarrieB

Players need time to gel to maximise performance but i wouldn't classify it as much of a factor in getting the basics right - we don't even get the basics right and that is what makes the 'gelling' argument weak - 9 players in is exceptional and therefore the need to gel is significantly more of a factor but still - the basics should be there when you are a professional imo

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
_59698625_pa-12777276.jpg

Black6Osprey

2 banks of 4 is brilliant for defending, not attacking, but as I've noticed when I've watched Everton (I went a couple of times with my Everton ST friend when Cov were away) they don't really keep the 2 banks as they attack as Fellaini got forward with Cahill + Jelavic whilst Gibson stayed back to knock the ball around.

Also, Everton's wingers arn't as advanced (in terms of pushing forward) so they don't play as forward and the same is with Hibbert at RB, solid at defending, not very good at going forward.

Source: Everton ST holder... :whistle:

Wow I bet you have a friend at every ground and does he like to whistle or something?

I think you answered it well and highlighted that 4-4-2 is the good system for defending (shame we didnt revert to it for the last 10 minutes on Tuesday as we may have won), and unlike chess, players can move where ever they want when attacking and dont have to stick to 2 rigid banks of 4. I'm glad you like the system which makes Everton punch above its weight. They played well against United and closed them down and did most of the attacking for 70 minutes of the game. I hope Cov put that amount of effort in to beating Bury and if we are in the lead and tiring that Thorn changes something to see the game out.

Skyblueweeman

Yes but isn't that the point of a forum, to vent your frustration or praise the team and people to offer different opinions. If we have to wait 10 games before anyone can give an opinion we may as well shut the site down for a couple of months or talk about the weather or the price of Argentinian plums.

Totally agree. My point was though that already, some appear to be questionning things about our team, approach, manager, tactics, new signings etc. After two meaningful league games, it's far too early to sit in one camp or the other. There's many variables that can affect things over two games such as fitness, other teams signings, playing only against fancied teams, playing only against un-fancied teams, other teams time to 'gel' etc etc. A more reasoned point can be made after 5-10 games when there's less variables to take into consideration over more games.

If that makes sense?! :whistle:

Colonel Mustard

Totally agree. My point was though that already, some appear to be questionning things about our team, approach, manager, tactics, new signings etc. After two meaningful league games, it's far too early to sit in one camp or the other.

It's really not, SBW. We've had an entire season of AT; one ought to be able to identify managerial shortcomings/positives regardless of the team's budget or aspirations. I do agree that there's no point in sacking AT now, after he's spent a summer bringing in "his" players. So give him 10, 15, 20 games to exhaust all the excuses from his bodyguards and then maybe we can move on as a united fanbase.

Mucca Mad Boys

Wow I bet you have a friend at every ground and does he like to whistle or something?

I think you answered it well and highlighted that 4-4-2 is the good system for defending (shame we didnt revert to it for the last 10 minutes on Tuesday as we may have won), and unlike chess, players can move where ever they want when attacking and dont have to stick to 2 rigid banks of 4. I'm glad you like the system which makes Everton punch above its weight. They played well against United and closed them down and did most of the attacking for 70 minutes of the game. I hope Cov put that amount of effort in to beating Bury and if we are in the lead and tiring that Thorn changes something to see the game out.

Thank you.

But with 4-4-2, it's hard to break out of the bank of 4 without being caught out of position, e.g. Fleck is a player who needs freedom to create - SIDE NOTE: so many posters bang on about creativity, well, 4-4-2 doesn't provide that, it is a solid formation perfect for direct football - and a 2 banks of 4 would restrict his much need freedom, in fact, with a flat 4 midfield, you can't fit in good players such as; Thomas, Barton, Fleck and Jennings in one midfield.

Imo, for a team that wants promotion, 4-4-2 is not the system we want.

AT has now signed players suitable for the diamond, he'll either fly or fall now...

Grendel

Totally agree. My point was though that already, some appear to be questionning things about our team, approach, manager, tactics, new signings etc. After two meaningful league games, it's far too early to sit in one camp or the other. There's many variables that can affect things over two games such as fitness, other teams signings, playing only against fancied teams, playing only against un-fancied teams, other teams time to 'gel' etc etc. A more reasoned point can be made after 5-10 games when there's less variables to take into consideration over more games.

If that makes sense?! :whistle:

I've questioned his management ability and tactics since last Selember. I have to be convinced that he has upped his game. I've yet to witness anything that has made me think I am wrong.

Sky Blues

To be fair to Thorn, I don't think he has used needing time to "gel" as an excuse. A fact of life maybe, but not an excuse.

He said this to the Football League website pre-season: "Pre-season was tough for the boys. We've been to Scotland, to do some work up there, and had some tough games against SPL sides. It's been a good work out. With five or six new boys in we have needed to gel a bit but you speak to all the managers and they have all had the same problems. It's been good, but tough."

Users who are viewing this thread