Gay Footballers (1 Viewer)

A player who played for England against Denmark Wednesday night is coming out gay on Sunday in an exclusive with The Sun, Cant help but think The Sun caught him out and forced him into it? Got to say total respect to him for doing it but should it really be that big of a news story in 2014? Anyone heard any names of who it is? Adam Lallana is the rumored name on twitter?

hill83

It shouldn't be a big news story in 2014, but unfortunately it is. And I'm sure a few comments in this thread will show exactly why.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

It's inherently homophobic to even make a story out of it. The Sun should be ashamed. If they ran 'exclusives' with regards player's heterosexuality, this wouldn't be an issue, but to make a special case as its a gay story is therefore surely prejudicial?!

italiahorse

A player who played for England against Denmark Wednesday night is coming out gay on Sunday in an exclusive with The Sun, Cant help but think The Sun caught him out and forced him into it? Got to say total respect to him for doing it but should it really be that big of a news story in 2014? Anyone heard any names of who it is? Adam Lallana is the rumored name on twitter?

Here we go again.
Destroy the team before we even get there.
Should not be a story these days.

magic82ball

Total respect to whoever it is. I truly believe in todays society they would be supported with the bonheads being the minority. English football has moved on a lot since the days of Justin Fashunu.

magic82ball

Of course its a bloody story! People are fascinated (wrightly or wrongly) with this subject. I would want to know who it is if only to support their career more closely. Football needs a trailblazer in this regard to enable other gay footballers to feel liberated enough to be themselves. Virtually every other profession it is a non issue but the caveman mentality perceived to still be in existence in the game inhibits some people being the person they truly are.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Total respect to whoever it is. I truly believe in todays society they would be supported with the bonheads being the minority. English football has moved on a lot since the days of Justin Fashunu.

Indeed so. If it's lawful and consential, what the hell difference to anyone does it make what two adults do behind closed doors? Those who are so insecure and lowly to wish to judge others for being different from their 'ideal' are the ones we should be concerned about. Perverse logic they apply...

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Of course its a bloody story! People are fascinated (wrightly or wrongly) with this subject. I would want to know who it is if only to support their career more closely. Football needs a trailblazer in this regard to enable other gay footballers to feel liberated enough to be themselves. Virtually every other profession it is a non issue but the caveman mentality perceived to still be in existence in the game inhibits some people being the person they truly are.

What if the person involved doesn't want to be a trailblazer though, and just wishes to get along with their life lawfully and discretely? What right does The Sun have to 'expose' them?

skybluelee

It's inherently homophobic to even make a story out of it. The Sun should be ashamed. If they ran 'exclusives' with regards player's heterosexuality, this wouldn't be an issue, but to make a special case as its a gay story is therefore surely prejudicial?!

Completely agree . Yet people still buy The Sun. Says a lot about this country.

Grendel

It shouldn't be a big news story in 2014, but unfortunately it is. And I'm sure a few comments in this thread will show exactly why.

To be fair SBK hasn't been on here for a while so we should be ok.

Brighton Sky Blue

When I lived in Brighton gay couples could go walking through the city and nobody batted an eyelid-unfortunately other parts of the country haven't quite caught up.

SkyblueBazza

It is only an issue if people make it an issue. Be that the people who "come out", those that "out" them...or people that make, or contribute to, a topic of discussion (including me now!) about it. Personally I really don't care who it is.
I am glad that there are only supportive posts on here though (thus far). No doubt The Sun will do their subtle upmost to remind everyone of the guys sexual status at every opportunity...thus provoking backlash from some idiot at some point.

PUSB

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I wouldn't even buy the Sun to wipe my arse on! Gutter Press rag!

magic82ball

What if the person involved doesn't want to be a trailblazer though, and just wishes to get along with their life lawfully and discretely? What right does The Sun have to 'expose' them?

Absolutely none MMM. If it is the case that they have engineered the exclusive through blackmail then The Sun should be ashamed. Unfortunately as a red-top they will stoop as low as they need to to sell papers. If that is the case then I feel extremely sorry for the individual, if he isn't ready/prepared to come out this could have long lasting effects on his state of mind and career.

I was implying more power to a trailblazer who has taken the decision to come out.

magic82ball

It is only an issue if people make it an issue. Be that the people who "come out", those that "out" them...or people that make, or contribute to, a topic of discussion (including me now!) about it. Personally I really don't care who it is.
I am glad that there are only supportive posts on here though (thus far). No doubt The Sun will do their subtle upmost to remind everyone of the guys sexual status at every opportunity...thus provoking backlash from some idiot at some point.

PUSB
This is true but no one can be naïve enough to believe that this wont be the topic on most football fans lips at water coolers up and down the country. This is just the way it is. People have a perverse obsession when it comes to this stuff - hence why The Sun are allegedly unmasking the individual most likely on the front page of their flagship Sunday paper.

Can only see it putting pressure on himself tho and one bad game and you can see the pathetic headlines from The Sun/The Star already. I don't see the issue, Horse racing, Rugby, Cricket it isn't a problem.

SkyBlueScottie

Like others I agree that this is not in anybody's interest at all. If the player has organised this then fair enough, if not it should be left alone.

Hopefully, whoever it is will feel much happier that its now common knowledge and goes on to have a terrific world cup.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think it should be news, if he is purposely giving an interview could it be if he doesn't think he will get picked for the euros so can have that card if not so Hodgson might feel pressured?

Either that, or it is a "we are going to out you anyway so you may as well talk to us"

Either way, don't see the point. Was this was it was like years ago for black players?

ajsccfc

This is a pretty big story if it happens, but the good thing is that something as innocuous as sexual preference will very quickly become less and less newsworthy once the floodgates are open.

Shame it's the Sun though, who hardly have the best track record and would make it seem like a jump or be pushed kind of slant to it.

chiefdave

The whole 'coming out' thing is very odd. Just the whole idea of it implies that it is a big deal. Frankly I couldn't care less who is or isn't gay in any context let alone the England team. I'm nore concerned about them doing as well as they possibly can in the World Cup and this kind of thing, if it's against the players wishes, is not going to help in the slightest.

hill83

could it be if he doesn't think he will get picked for the euros so can have that card if not so Hodgson might feel pressured?

EPYxue9.gif

Nick

Administrator
It will be like Tom Daley, is anybody really interested if he is gay or not? Every day he was posing with gay pride stuff etc. People will only be interested in how he plays football, apart from the knobheads who will find it away to abuse, sadly.

hill83

The whole 'coming out' thing is very odd. Just the whole idea of it implies that it is a big deal. Frankly I couldn't care less who is or isn't gay in any context let alone the England team. I'm nore concerned about them doing as well as they possibly can in the World Cup and this kind of thing, if it's against the players wishes, is not going to help in the slightest.

The thing is, coming out is a big deal. For the person coming out. The risk of not being accepted and victimised. The risk of abuse etc.
I don't care if someone is gay or not, and like you say, nobody should. But for the person coming out it is a big deal.

skybluejelly

He should definitely be in the team .. We need someone used to coming from behind.... Sorry ..couldn't resist

hill83

What if this player was a "fringe" player? What better way to guarantee a place in the euros?

Nobody in their right mind would do that. It's an interesting theory, but frankly ridiculous.

Nick

Administrator
The thing is, coming out is a big deal. For the person coming out. The risk of not being accepted and victimised. The risk of abuse etc.
I don't care if someone is gay or not, and like you say, nobody should. But for the person coming out it is a big deal.

I can see it is a big deal for people coming out and fair play to them as it must be a hard thing to do. Is the front page of the Sun the way to do it? Like with Tom Daley it got to the point where it was so in your face every day about how he was wearing pink socks or something which is probably down to the press but who needs to know?

I am not saying footballers should have to hide it but in the ideal world it shouldn't be anybodys business, the same as a footballer who marries a woman it should just be the same as that.

ajsccfc

It will be like Tom Daley, is anybody really interested if he is gay or not? Every day he was posing with gay pride stuff etc. People will only be interested in how he plays football, apart from the knobheads who will find it away to abuse, sadly.

People were interested and it was fairly big news, but it very quickly became 'oh right, thought so' and if the next swimming star is gay, nobody will really be bothered. Hopefully this is what happens here, the sooner we're at the point where who a sportsman likes to have sex with is as interesting as whether they prefer Pepsi over Coke the better.

Nick

Administrator
Nobody in their right mind would do that. It's an interesting theory, but frankly ridiculous.

No I know, just trying to think of reasons why somebody would do it just before the euros on the front page of a paper. Unless somebody has found out and wants to out them so they are getting in first.

skybluejelly

People were interested and it was fairly big news, but it very quickly became 'oh right, thought so' and if the next swimming star is gay, nobody will really be bothered. Hopefully this is what happens here, the sooner we're at the point where who a sportsman likes to have sex with is as interesting as whether they prefer Pepsi over Coke the better.

Well I definitely preferred Pepsi to Shirley..

Users who are viewing this thread