Gay footballers (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Kilbane

Because I've just read an interview from a (still) anonymous gay Bundesliga footballer I'd like you to imagine a gay footballer at Coventry City. Some day he'll come out. How would be your reaction? Would you support him? Would you like to have him out of the club? Or just won't you care on his sexuality when he plays well and does everything for the club?

Nick

Administrator
Not fussed if he is gay or not. Nothing to do with me who he is attracted to as it's none of my business. It is what he does on the pitch that counts.

Otis

Why wouldn't I support him?

He's a player for Coventry City. Don't care if he's gay, black, a vegetarian or wears yellow polo necks on Tuesdays.

What difference does it make if he's gay? He's going to play less well? Not try as hard? Seduce all his team mates? :facepalm:

There is bound sure to be a gay player on Coventry City's books.

Otis

Should be easy to tell. They have different colour blood to normal people, teapot hands and always walk with a mince. :facepalm:

ajsccfc

I care about who a footballer likes to have sex with about as much as which of the big cola brands they prefer.

Danceswithhorses

If he's better than mcsheff, bell, kilbane, hussey etc, then he's in lol
Seriously, surely players should be picked on merit, not sexuality ?
I couldn't be less interested in a player's sex life.

CCFC Germany

Read the interview over here and they already said that it is a hoax.
Wouldn't care if a player's gay or not.
This is the 21st century, not stone age.

Joy Division

With it being 2012 and all that I'd like to think that this wouldn't be an issue.

Kevin_Kilbane

Given all the positive statements here it seems strange why gay footballers don't come out. I'd like it if it's just because sexual preference really don't care in football and it's just like that in my opinion. But gay footballers obviously seem to fear the worst if it would go public. In the mentioned interview the footballer doesn't fear the reaction from his teammates because they know already. What he fears is the reaction from the fans week in week out especially on away matches. So I was thinking about it and came to the conclusion that it can't get worse than the abuse "normal" players have to suffer already.

rob9872

I don't believe that its one in ten, those are media figures. I also think it would be lower in football due to the stigma than in general walks of life. I would be amazed if it was half that figure, but even at 5% it would be a lot of people involved in football. Being gay wouldn't be an issue unless they were gay and crap like Julin Darby who as we know was shagging Phil Neal.

Sick Boy

I don't see what the issue would be at all.

Besides, hasn't there been experiments done that those who are, or identify as homophobic have 'issues' with their own sexuality?!

Kevin_Kilbane

Besides, hasn't there been experiments done that those who are, or identify as homophobic have 'issues' with their own sexuality?!

Perhaps true. They wouldn't probably think and talk as much about it or against it if they would be satisfied with themselves. Probably they are too coward to accept their own homosexuality so they abuse these who are happy being it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
He could be the biggest, minciest, gay-boy shirt-lifter on the planet. But if he is a great footballer, I really couldn't give a toss! (figuratively speaking of course!!) :whistle:

dutchman

I don't care whether a player is gay or not, but I would sooner not hear about it.

Likewise I would rather not hear about if he had one of a hundred other possible sexual preferences.

CCFC Germany

Given all the positive statements here it seems strange why gay footballers don't come out. I'd like it if it's just because sexual preference really don't care in football and it's just like that in my opinion. But gay footballers obviously seem to fear the worst if it would go public. In the mentioned interview the footballer doesn't fear the reaction from his teammates because they know already. What he fears is the reaction from the fans week in week out especially on away matches. So I was thinking about it and came to the conclusion that it can't get worse than the abuse "normal" players have to suffer already.

That's just what I thought.
Lots of positive comments here, but I want to see Coventry play a Villa or Leicester team with an openly gay player in their squad...
I think he won't stand the stick he would be given.

Strange enough nobody mentions Justin Fashanu here...

Covstu

I think a proportion of our fans wouldnt like a gay player given some of e comments shouted from the terraces and booing single players for under performing. I guess if they played well it would give them no cause to boo and jeer!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Lots of positive comments here, but I want to see Coventry play a Villa or Leicester team with an openly gay player in their squad...

Thanks CCFC G! I was trying to remember the name! Fashanu was a good player who openly came out about being gay. That was back in the days when it was still ridiculed heavily. A brave decision on his part.

scroobiustom

its worth remembering that its not really a true proportion of coventry/ football fans in general, that are signed up to forums and so i'd hope everyone on here wouldn't care if a player of any team was gay.

The idea of 'sledging' between fans and players is great but it has to be done with a sense of tact and credibility and not inspired by a xenophobic illness.

The BBC3 thing was quite interesting if you can find it.

stupot07

Fashanu played in the late 70's and the 80's, we have moved on massively both in terms of football and society. Black players were on the end of racist chants, monkey noises, fans throwing bananas at them - that never happens in the uk anymore and hasn't happened for a long long time. It was also the time when football violence and hooliganism was rife, and that very very rarely happens these days.

kg82

I wouldn't care if they were gay at all. But the comments on here are a very small proportion of football fans, all of which have the brain capacity to work out how a computer works, so you're unlikely to find any discrimintory sorts commenting. The other thing is, most of those who do discriminate like that are too cowardly to do it individually.

Sick Boy

Wasn't there a law passed that effectively deems homophobic chanting just as bad as racist chanting? IMO, the world of football and especially the football terraces are somewhat homophobic, and I am sure that there would quite a few who would have issues with a gay player playing for their team? I also think that there is more racism on the terraces than people like to admit, I have certainly heard plenty during my time watching City.

wingy

As long as they stiffened up the back four I m fine with it

If you saw Newsnight last night I don't think there will be many takers (,no pun intended ) for this in Iraq.They've got death squads going round wiping out who they suspect, even based on haircuts .

Macca

If you saw Newsnight last night I don't think there will be many takers (,no pun intended ) for this in Iraq.They've got death squads going round wiping out who they suspect, even based on haircuts .

Yep we really made an impression there didn't we?

Sick Boy

Did I hear correctly that they rape them as well?!

I'mARealWizard

I don't believe that its one in ten, those are media figures. I also think it would be lower in football due to the stigma than in general walks of life. I would be amazed if it was half that figure, but even at 5% it would be a lot of people involved in football. Being gay wouldn't be an issue unless they were gay and crap like Julin Darby who as we know was shagging Phil Neal.

Whether you believe 1 in 10 or not is irrelevant. It comes from the Kinsey study in America in the 1950s I believe. They have been verified in countless countries since. Usual figures range from around 8 - 12%. They are most certainly not 'media' figures.

However, you are right about the atmosphere surrounding the football profession. As a gay football fan, I was deterred from attending matches as a supporter because of the homophobic abuse 'bantered' around in the 1990s. So I have no doubt that many talented footballers either decided against pursuing a footballing career. Or if they did then they would certainly keep it hidden.

Max Clifford (as much as I despise the man and what he stands for) frequently states that many gay and bisexual footballers from the Premier League have asked him for advice on keeping things hidden from the general public because of their perceived fear of abuse.

I'm heartened to read the positive comments here, but I sincerely doubt they reflect the majority of fans in the football stands in this country.

Users who are viewing this thread