Gary Deegan suspended from the club (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Coventry City confirm that Gary Deegan has been suspended from training for a period of two weeks whilst further investigations take place into comments on Twitter social networking site.

Neither the player nor the club will be making any further statement whilst internal investigations are on-going.

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10269~2825177,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:

pusbccfc

Well done City!

pusbccfc

Well done City!
He made comments that have upset fans, therefore they have done the right thing!

Nonleagueherewecome

What a dumb move. The whole affair has been completely blown out of all proportion by people as stupid as Deegan is. Is he any worse than Suarez, Barton or Terry? Yet their clubs don't "fire" them, do they? Chance to cut wages again though, isn't it? :jerkit:

smileycov

Facebook User
What a load of shite!! It was a misguided joke blown out of all proportion. This has nothing to do with morals or common decency, it is all about SISU saving a few more quid!! He appologised move on.
The hysterics on here hardly helped, Some people never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

SkyBlueJohnso

2 weeks to do an investigation? into what? he made a stupid comment as banter with a mate, quickly realised his mistake and apologised for it.

yes he is a role model and should know better, and the club have to take some action, slap his wrists, fine him, remind him of his obligations and move on.

job done!!!

lordsummerisle

Knee jerkers get what they want.

Don't rate him as a player at all, but to be got rid of for something like this would just be stupid.

More witch-hunts than Salem.

dongonzalos

He wont get fired, he would get a full payout by SISU for his wages and a payout for defamation of character if City sacked him for this. SISU just cant afford that.

I am sure SISU will be suspending him firstly so one they can have a look at it and see if they can somehow get rid of his wages. secondly if they cant then they have taken some positive action.

This debate will just drag on and on but I still standby my belief that he is not a terrorist, does not support terrorism. He has a had a bit of banter and unfortunately used a social media site to do it. The banter was of poor tatse and he has apologised, removed it and explained it was banter. (so I am led to believe)

I think people on here are reacting in the same manner I would expect them to if it was discovered that Deegan had been sending money to support a terrorist organisation or he had come out and openly said I support violence to free Ireland.

It is banter of bad taste he should get a bollocking for that and be forced to make a public apology in which he explains his views and opinions, so people find out what he really believes in.

skyblueman

He was stupid but has apologised so perhaps a small fine should be as far as it should go.. will be interesting to see what the club makes of it tho

stupot07

Hang on a minute - they haven't sacked him, they have suspended him pending investigation. If had made those comments and it had been reported to my employer this is the action they would take.

All those pointing to Saurez, terry and Barton, pretty much everyone was in agreement that their clubs didn't deal with the issue properly. This is the correct and proper course of action that 99% of companies would take.

Nick

Administrator
I do think it has got out of hand. A bollocking, sending his wages for 2 weeks to a charity and a public apology would have done.

As said, by blocking him from training it just means 1 of our very few players isn't as fit for the start of the season!

akira1984

These people who are condemning Deegan are hypocritical morons. Stop acting like you've never said anything something you regret in jest?

smileycov

Facebook User
He wont get fired, he would get a full payout by SISU for his wages and a payout for defamation of character if City sacked him for this. SISU just cant afford that.

I am sure SISU will be suspending him firstly so one they can have a look at it and see if they can somehow get rid of his wages. secondly if they cant then they have taken some positive action.

This debate will just drag on and on but I still standby my belief that he is not a terrorist, does not support terrorism. He has a had a bit of banter and unfortunately used a social media site to do it. The banter was of poor tatse and he has apologised, removed it and explained it was banter. (so I am led to believe)

I think people on here are reacting in the same manner I would expect them to if it was discovered that Deegan had been sending money to support a terrorist organisation or he had come out and openly said I support violence to free Ireland.

It is banter of bad taste he should get a bollocking for that and be forced to make a public apology in which he explains his views and opinions, so people find out what he really believes in.

Dissagree with this bit, if he is sacked they wont have to pay him anything! be hard to argue on his side other than "it was taken out of context" he said it, over the top yes....but the bit that worries me, is if they want to save money by releasing without come back they can now. He has given them the excuse to do it.

Nonleagueherewecome

Hang on a minute - they haven't sacked him, they have suspended him pending investigation. If had made those comments and it had been reported to my employer this is the action they would take.

All those pointing to Saurez, terry and Barton, pretty much everyone was in agreement that their clubs didn't deal with the issue properly. This is the correct and proper course of action that 99% of companies would take.

But not football clubs: your evidence suggests that 99.9% wouldn't!

Gray

This is just the same as the browns situation we are in a culture now where its fashionable to be offended by everything and then completely over react. Why not just fine him?

Desperados

People that get offended by everything have far too much time on their hands! Deegan has already apologised for offense caused by his stupid tweet

Ashdown

Can't pretend I rated him but indeed its another chance for SISU to remove another wage that they won't replace.

dongonzalos

Dissagree with this bit, if he is sacked they wont have to pay him anything! be hard to argue on his side other than "it was taken out of context" he said it, over the top yes....but the bit that worries me, is if they want to save money by releasing without come back they can now. He has given them the excuse to do it.

I understand where you are coming from.

However Deegan has never explained what he actually meant. Now the club have taken that action I would imagine he will have a lawyer on the case working with him preparing his explanation. Whatever he actually meant I would imagine his lawyer will know exactly what explanation he needs to give to ensure that if the club fire him it will be an unfair dismissal.

Secondly if he gives an intelligent enough answer and the club sack him. I would guess that he may argue by the clubs reaction in sacking him they are suggesting that his comments brought the club into disrepute.

For this to be the case they would have to be saying that his commments were supportive of a terrorist organisation. If he succesfully shows that his comments were not then I think he could sue the club for unfair dismissal and deflamation of his character. He would say that he will forever be known as someone who supports terrorism as this is what he was sacked for. You can imagine the money he would get out of SISU for that one. I would imagine the legal team for SISU would, due to legal insurance would be footing the legal costs would be advising SISU to do the suspension.

Maybe try and not pay his wage for the 2 weeks (however if he fights that back down)

Then say he has been warned about using social media and that will be the end of it.

I agree with the comments on here that he should be asked to donate to a charity as well as the public apology, it would be a good learning curve and send a message to some of the other players as well. It would be nice if he publically explained what his views are on terrorism it may quickly bring a halt to a lot of this

Last edited:

coundonskyblue

Think if I played for a club in Ireland & I made a joke about how good the army were at shooting people at croke park I would get suspended. Would that be an overeaction?

lordsummerisle

Think if I played for a club in Ireland & I made a joke about how good the army were at shooting people at croke park I would get suspended. Would that be an overeaction?

No, but did he say " I love the way that the IRA blow up women and children"?

Haven't heard that he did, so you are guilty of over-reaction yourself.

Otis

Yep. People forget the context. This was because James McPake got called up for Northern Ireland. So as a joke Deegan said up the IRA.

It was just a joke and I don't even find it offensive. If he meant it then that would be different. It was a joke and said to his mate to rib him.

smileycov

Facebook User

This sums up the pathetic, twist the words to suit my argument brigade...........o sorry i put brigade, not refering to military of any sort!!

smileycov

Facebook User
Yep. People forget the context. This was because James McPake got called up for Northern Ireland. So as a joke Deegan said up the IRA.

It was just a joke and I don't even find it offensive. If he meant it then that would be different. It was a joke and said to his mate to rib him.

Agree, good shout...however he actually said up the RA!! he may argue a different meaning, so was comfortable in using it as a jokey dig at James.

coundonskyblue

So saying 'up the ira' isn't praising them then?

I'm sorry but the ira are the lowest scum on earth. I don't believe that deegan believes what he says, but that's not the point. Even on the basis of stupidity he deserves to be punished.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
What a load of crap! If it was me being accused i'd say fuck you, and be itching to go to another club! Ridiculous. May as well have a cop sitting behind every players computer.

Agree, good shout...however he actually said up the RA!! he may argue a different meaning, so was comfortable in using it as a jokey dig at James.

why couldnt he just text him? instead of putting a sick symbol of pro IRA on the public domain for ALL to see?

wonder what would happen if i put up the UDA? would you feel the same then?

smileycov

Facebook User
so your happy one of our players are pro IRA, a terrorist group who killed over 1,500 innocent civvilans?

You know this for a fact about deegan do you? Doubt it. He was taking the piss out of a mate playing for the North, he said sorry was joking didnt mean to offend. All this terrorist supporting crap has been added by IDIOTS....if the cap fits!

Users who are viewing this thread