Gary Deegan and an injection of pace (1 Viewer)

Sutty

Deegan was superb once he came on. Played plenty of clever one-twos, little one touch passes. It really quickened up the tempo of our play. In the first half we were taking too many touches, it was all a little too pedestrian.

I don't think it's electric pace that's needed, but quick pass and move has the same effect. Think of Barcelona, they don't really have any sprinters in their team, but they're so effective because they play quick pass and move.

Also an honourable mention to Conor Thomas. Second game running he's performed admirably in the middle, consistently making the right decisions.

cstring82

I have to agree that the game changed when Bell went off, he gave the ball away too much.
Conor Thomas also seemed to be one of the few sticking a foot in and going for a tackle.
Nice to see Lukas bag a well taken goal.

pusbccfc

Same as at the norwich last game of the season, he came on and added that little spice into the midfield.

Walking Bird

Got to be a starter on Saturday if he suffers no reaction.

shmmeee

Deegan was superb once he came on. Played plenty of clever one-twos, little one touch passes. It really quickened up the tempo of our play. In the first half we were taking too many touches, it was all a little too pedestrian.

I don't think it's electric pace that's needed, but quick pass and move has the same effect. Think of Barcelona, they don't really have any sprinters in their team, but they're so effective because they play quick pass and move.

Also an honourable mention to Conor Thomas. Second game running he's performed admirably in the middle, consistently making the right decisions.

totally agree about quickness of thought. I think Bell, McSheffrey, Hussey and Keogh are all guilty of taking too long to decide what to do.

I was really impressed with Thomas today, first time I've seen him and just like Bigi he looks like a footballer. Seems to know what he wants to do before he gets the ball and has a real eye for a pass. Question is if we can grow players like this, why can't we teach the one's we've got? Maybe we should sack Harrison and get Rioch to coach the first team?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I think Saturday will be too soon for him to start, although id love to see him start. The last thing we should do is rush him back. Id like to see him play as much as the next person, but dont want him rushed.

He was brilliant when he came on and really suited our style of play that Thorn has tried to inject into the squad (pass and move).

Great goal aswell. I did think he'd taken one touch too many, but for someone who's been out the game for so long, he hasnt lost his composure.

Definatepy changed the game!

Nonleagueherewecome

Well, basically the player who I was spouting crazy hyperbole about after the Leamington game showed everyone exactly what I was banging on about tonight :D:D:D

Within 5 minutes of his introduction he had already made 4 superb passes-the way he lobs and dinks it off the side of his foot is just something else. He has a vision almost bordering on arrogant, loves finding a man in space, plays canny 1-2's and is capable of passing first time, meaning that our tempo was instantly transformed. He brings a driving presence to our midfield and made 2 or 3 fantastic runs off-the-ball where he suddenly sprinted from a deep position, joining the forwards in the area. I won't go completely nuts and call them Robson-esque just yet...but that kind of late run from midfield. He was utterly shagged after 25 mins, but boy what a difference he made. And that is when he's miles off match fitness.

This bloke is a proper player, and a leader; he is going to tear this league up. DEEGAN! DEEGAN! DEEGAN! :D

On another note-Thomas showed us what Liverpool had seen today. Fantastic in the 2nd half in particular, and it is so noticeable how much more effective we are when those young players are confident.

Sutty

Well, basically the player who I was spouting crazy hyperbole about after the Leamington game showed everyone exactly what I was banging on about tonight :D:D:D

Within 5 minutes of his introduction he had already made 4 superb passes-the way he lobs and dinks it off the side of his foot is just something else. He has a vision almost bordering on arrogant, loves finding a man in space, plays canny 1-2's and is capable of passing first time, meaning that our tempo was instantly transformed. He brings a driving presence to our midfield and made 2 or 3 fantastic runs off-the-ball where he suddenly sprinted from a deep position, joining the forwards in the area. I won't go completely nuts and call them Robson-esque just yet...but that kind of late run from midfield. He was utterly shagged after 25 mins, but boy what a difference he made. And that is when he's miles off match fitness.

This bloke is a proper player, and a leader; he is going to tear this league up. DEEGAN! DEEGAN! DEEGAN! :D

On another note-Thomas showed us what Liverpool had seen today. Fantastic in the 2nd half in particular, and it is so noticeable how much more effective we are when those young players are confident.

:D

A spectacularly positive post... And I love it!

SkyBlue_Bear83

For me he has to start against Barnsley, I can see him linking up extremely well with Mcsheffrey. Players like Bell are just too slow and want too many touches on the ball.

shmmeee

Totally agree, and what's more if my maths is correct he's scored 3 in 9 starts making him the most effective goalscorer we have :D (OK, he's made another 9 sub appearances, but still)

shmmeee

For me he has to start against Barnsley, I can see him linking up extremely well with Mcsheffrey. Players like Bell are just too slow and want too many touches on the ball.

I want this midfield:

Clingan

Thomas Deegan

Bigirimana

Just think, a midfield of clever footballers who can pass the ball and actually put 100% in for City. A man can dream...

Walking Bird

I think Saturday will be too soon for him to start, although id love to see him start. The last thing we should do is rush him back. Id like to see him play as much as the next person, but dont want him rushed.

I know it's possibly a risk but maybe we need to start our strongest team when available & try to avoid having to come from behind (ooh er missus)!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I want this midfield:

Clingan

Thomas Deegan

Bigirimana

Just think, a midfield of clever footballers who can pass the ball and actually put 100% in for City. A man can dream...
Yea I think that could work well depending on how Gael would adapt to that role. When Mcsheffrey is on song I think he is great in that role though, I like his directness and how his first thought is too go towards goal rather than pass backwards or check backwards and slow the move down.

Nonleagueherewecome

:D

A spectacularly positive post... And I love it!

Yeah man, I just love Deegs...the bloke will play for Ireland, mark my words. Tonight was our first proper glimpse of Bohemians-Deegan in a competitive game; plenty more to come. There's a reason he has such immense self belief-he knows he's good. Oh I forgot the other obvious thing he'll bring-goals from midfield. As the man himself says, "Aron who?"

Kuklinski

I'm not getting the Deegan love in to be honest. For starters I dislike anybody with the nickname "Pitbull" because it usually indicates a hard worker, but not a very good footballer. I'd also like to see him play a minimum of 10 games without injury so we can see whether or not he is the grade? If he gets another injury that keeps him out, get rid.

Sutty

I'm not getting the Deegan love in to be honest. For starters I dislike anybody with the nickname "Pitbull" because it usually indicates a hard worker, but not a very good footballer. I'd also like to see him play a minimum of 10 games without injury so we can see whether or not he is the grade? If he gets another injury that keeps him out, get rid.

The bold bit is a joke statement in all honesty.

The second bit, agreed, hopefully he won't keep breaking down.

DazzleTommyDazzle

I would agree with the posters above (well most of them anyway....) that Deegan was excellent when he came on. Aside from some very good passes he injected much more movement into our midfield.

Our game should be "pass and move", but just recently we've lapsed into "pass and stand still" far too often. The result of that is that we end up taking too many touches, slow down the play and end up passing too often towards our goal.

We could also take a lesson from Blackpool tonight. A few times when we looked to have pushed them back, one of their forwards or midfielders made intelligent runs into space allowing them to play a long ball that immediately had us stretched. We need to bring that into our game more often.

Nonleagueherewecome

The Pitbull nickname is gloriously inappropriate, tbf. Sure he is a tough bastard who goes in hard, but that isn't really his strength. Those are vision, creativity, engine, off-the-ball movement, goalscoring ability, determination and leadership. For a start. He was touted as "The Next Roy Keane", but he plays more like a Glenn Whelan-type. Still don't think I'd start him yet, he was shagged by the end.

And unlike everyone else, yet again, I thought Bell was really good! Some cracking crosses, great shot, closed down better than usual (and that is not his strength)...he even beat his man a couple of times! I think the problem is Bell is often exposed by our (almost) 3 up front formation; if we are being over-run by quality opposition (eg Blackpool), he ends up too deep and defending. Once we tweaked the shape, he was much more effective.

Spagbol

Blackpool have been the best team to visit the Ricoh so far, played with decent tempo and penetration. Thought we did well to keep in touch as they were over running us for a bit in the first half. Very impressed how we came back in to it and Thorn did well with his Subs and re-shaping the team....It will come good you can see it!!! PUSB:claping hands:

Nonleagueherewecome

Blackpool have been the best team to visit the Ricoh so far, played with decent tempo and penetration. Thought we did well to keep in touch as they were over running us for a bit in the first half. Very impressed how we came back in to it and Thorn did well with his Subs and re-shaping the team....It will come good you can see it!!! PUSB:claping hands:

The last two times I've seen Blackpool at The Ricoh, they taught us a footballing lesson-even with 10 men. They were far and away the best side I saw the year they went up, but even without Vaughan and Adam they are a very classy side. Tonight was by far the best performance I've seen from us against them, and agreed-AT got the subs spot on. He really does deserve more luck-but it will come, it has to if he keeps making the right calls.

And mike..yeah, that pass was mint. He did a fair few others like it. You shoulda seen him against Leamington, it was outrageous the dinks he was pulling off. I was buzzing all the way back from The New Windmill that night.

Last edited:

georgehudson

well done AT, well done deegs, lots of positive performances from others tonight, good subs, and in the right direction too

PUSB

J

Jack Griffin

I want this midfield:

Clingan

Thomas Deegan

Bigirimana

Thomas is the more appropriate player for the tip of the diamond.

Anyway touch wood, the midfield looks better with Deegan, always rated him, just hope he can avoid injury.

Nonleagueherewecome

Anyone else notice that when Deegan came on, he spoke to the others no-end and the midfield trio suddenly became a very compact:

Thomas---Clingan---Deegan

Partly the movement, space and communication that Deegs brought to the table no doubt, but Sammy and Connor both played higher up the pitch, but closer together. It in turn freed up much more space for the full-backs. Sammy being released from so much defensive responsibility by Deegans ball-winning strength clearly allows him to impact much more in the oppositions half. I want to see them do that with 3 up front, but very narrow and as 3 STRIKERS, with licence to attack, not 2 of them out wide. I think we did this as soon as Deegs came on, as Roy was suddenly up front again for that incident when he was through, but the ref blew for a soft/wrong FK and play was pulled back.

This is the shape that AT first employed when he took over last season. It is another subtle variation, and AT is gradually increasing his tactical variations as vital players return to fitness-and also gradually learning when best to employ each.

Gotta say his rotation of the youngsters is also impeccable-great calls with picking Cameron, unleashing Keogh at RB, and using Cyrus as an impact sub at LB for the struggling Hussey.

Otis

I would like to just thank Sisu for bringing in a brand new midfield signing as promised.

CCFC123

Saturday everyone will be slaughtering him after a poor performance. His not that bloody good! Calm down....his no pitbull he had a good hald an hour and some think his the new Gerrard and playing for Ireland... oh please!

SkyBlueScottie

And unlike everyone else, yet again, I thought Bell was really good! Some cracking crosses, great shot, closed down better than usual (and that is not his strength)...he even beat his man a couple of times! I think the problem is Bell is often exposed by our (almost) 3 up front formation; if we are being over-run by quality opposition (eg Blackpool), he ends up too deep and defending. Once we tweaked the shape, he was much more effective.

yep so effective he was removed from play...

Deegan came on and all of a sudden we started pushing forward, if Bell and Clingan are on the pitch they are each others default option and will not go looking for anything else.

operationprem

Think It's massively important he stays fit now, doesn't look we are getting any loans so we really need deegs playing week in week out if we gonna stay up....good performance last night PUSB

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Question ...........

to play Deagan do you play the Diamond or the more orthodox 4 4 2?. Just do not see him and Clingan in a diamond formation. Think to get best out of both of them we will need to play a flatter midfield - which we did when Deagan came on last night

Sky Blue Sheepy

The only issue with this is the question of who to play on the wings...

Might start a seperate thread on this, could Roy be a possibility. He seems more of a winger than a forward to me, I would also be happy to take a look at Cyrus as a winger.

Hmmm, Innovative.
I'd be wary of putting another striker on the wings - we've done it with McSheffrey, Mifsud, Eastwood and even Jutkiewicz at times and it just seems to demoralise them more. Christie as a winger is a good idea tho - Keogh as right-back, Cameron/McPake (if he ever returns) and Cranie in the middle, Hussey at left back?

fanta80

We played 100 times better when we got rid of the diamond system in the second half. We look miles better playing a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation. It allowed Jutkiewicz space and time away from having 2 centre halfs challenging him for every ball, we play more direct rather than predictably spraying the ball to the wings when we only have 1 player who can cross a ball, and McSheffrey is easily better as a winger than a central player. Deegan suited the system as we had 3 central midfielders and ended up with our best 2 full-backs on the pitch. Lets hope Thorn doesnt choose to re-adopt the diamond anytime soon.h

torchomatic

wingy

Beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nonleagueherewecome

yep so effective he was removed from play...

Deegan came on and all of a sudden we started pushing forward, if Bell and Clingan are on the pitch they are each others default option and will not go looking for anything else.

Yeah that pass by Bell last week for McSheffreys goal was incredibly mis-hit wasn't it? Bloody miles away from Sammy, that was!:whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread