Gap Year/few months (1 Viewer)

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
My employer has decided that they don't want me any more, I have a long notice period which they are going to shove me in the garden for so cannot work for anyone else so apart from watching the city, from September for a few months, I can do anything.
ideas welcome please on some amazing places, events, trips etc that you have done that I should consider. Will be with the wife as well.
Some form of mini bucket list hopefully before finding another job.
Thanks

olderskyblue

Italian Grand Prix?

Orient Express?

tour of Whiskey distilleries in Scotland?

pipkin73

My employer has decided that they don't want me any more, I have a long notice period which they are going to shove me in the garden for so cannot work for anyone else so apart from watching the city, from September for a few months, I can do anything.
ideas welcome please on some amazing places, events, trips etc that you have done that I should consider. Will be with the wife as well.
Thanks
So sorry to hear this news mate, at least you have a long payoff.
I assume your being paid via the long garden leave.

You have done so much for people on here (Cov fans) and helped me so much on a 1 to 1 basis.
All i can say is if you need anything then let me know.

As for a break/holiday let me know and i will try to sort one for you.
Keep your chin up mate, we are all here for you,, Sky Blue Talks soul

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Thanks

It can be the best thing that has ever happened to you. We spend so much of our lives getting caught up in routines that we forget that there is a world out there.

I have done two 'sabbaticals', one was a 6 month trip to America, where I lived in San Diego for most of it, and the other was just before the pandemic where I went to Vietnam and Indonesia. Being away for about three months for that one. Both experiences are probably two of the best things I have ever done in my life. Just adopt a fuck-it mentality. Go places you never thought you would go to, meet people and realise how amazing the kindness of some strangers can be (note, apply that rule sensibly), and live it like they are your last days on the planet.

I have spent all night sitting on the beach, round a fire drinking beers, waiting for the sun to rise over the Pacific Ocean with an amazing group of people I met in a backpackers hostel. I have ridden motorbikes around Vietnam and had to camp out in the jungle when a monsoon came down, not knowing if I would make it another day. All of it, priceless life experience and the best things that have ever happened to me. Playing beer pong in random bars with the most amazing strangers you have ever met. I know you will have your wife with you, but that's fine, you can still make something really amazing with her.

Reach out if you would like any ideas, or more nostalgia from my book of memories! Good luck.

LastGarrison

If you are in the position to, both family wise and financial, then go travelling.

Most people, myself included, are quick to jump off around SE Asia or Oz etc. but there’s so much great to see in this country or you can see a lot around the EU in 90 days!! Little big longer if Croatia is part of the itinerary!

SAJ

Thanks
Recommend going to both Fiji and Hawaii.

SAJ

Thanks
If your interested in site seeing that takes your breath away also recommend Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canton and saying with the Indians in Monument Valley.

NorthernWisdom

Anyway, depends what your interests are. If classical, could do a modern day Grand Tour - Greece, Florence, Pompeii etc.

Could do a Middle Eastern version - Petra etc.

A more down to earth version? Sassi di Matera (sp?), Guadalest etc.

Castles tour?

Could also restrict to UK. How about the quirky places - Minack theatre, Portmeireon, Clovelly, Lindisfarne, Laugharne etc? Could even split off a Welsh tour and a Scottish tour (while you can without a passport!)

Failing all them...

• Swimming with Tigers with Lorraine Kelly
  • Crab Football with Lenny Henry
  • Dry Stone Walling with Paul Chuckle
  • Vomit-Art with Pat Sharpe

Marty

Tour the east coast of Australia. Absolutely amazing place, loads of things to do and see but can be pricey.

Tour Europe, pack up the car and just go.

robbiekeane

Thanks
Go to Vietnam and don’t book a god dam thing in advance other than your flight. Budget for $30usd a day to love like a king. Make it up as you go and meet people along the way

you will never regret it

robbiekeane

Took your advice, loving Vietnam right now, just need to find a bar for the game later today.
Amazing. If you can, make sure you go to Hoi An. My favourite place in Vietnam and probably on of my favourites in the world.

Get a Banh Mi from “Madam Khanh the Bahn Mi Queen” they are insane. I also know a great tailor if you want to get yourself a custom made tailored suit for about $100 - best suit I’ve ever had!

Can you ride a motorbike? I know a decent tour guide who will look after you too if you fancy it! I did a four day tour

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Took your advice, loving Vietnam right now, just need to find a bar for the game later today.

Where abouts are you? Would recommend Da Lat. Totally away from most tourists and very beautiful. There's a place called Maze Bar which is like Whacky Warehouse for adults. As others have said, motorbike is the way to go! Good luck.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Amazing. If you can, make sure you go to Hoi An. My favourite place in Vietnam and probably on of my favourites in the world.

Get a Banh Mi from “Madam Khanh the Bahn Mi Queen” they are insane. I also know a great tailor if you want to get yourself a custom made tailored suit for about $100 - best suit I’ve ever had!

Can you ride a motorbike? I know a decent tour guide who will look after you too if you fancy it! I did a four day tour
Down to Hoi A tomorrow for a few days and then Ho Chi Min and also decided to cram in going to Angkor Wat and Laos. I can see us heading back already

Users who are viewing this thread