Games in hand (1 Viewer)

robbiekeane

It’s all over the place isn’t it. I know it’s because of bury going bust and so that game throws everyone out but got to admit it makes the season a bit weird. Hard to get excited about the league table when it doesn’t really mean anything.

Burton have 3 games in hand on us

Last edited:

CanadianCCFC

It’s all over the place isn’t it. I know it’s because of bury going bust and so that game throws everyone out but got to admit it makes the season a bit weird. Hard to get excited about the league table when it doesn’t really mean anything.

Burton have 3 games in hand on us
If only we had someone who could conjure up tables and graphs to show how well we are actually doing this season.

robbiekeane

If only we had someone who could conjure up tables and graphs to show how well we are actually doing this season.
We’ve always had a multitude of form charts and those kind of indicators...not sure what the point is though - you really saying that replaces a league table?

Can just imagine being down the pub now with my mates who support other teams, and when asked where cov are in the table I’ll say “well actually it’s not really indicative so there’s this guy called Philosorapter....” :banghead:

Magwitch

If we can be somewhere around where we are today league wise by January 1st i would be very happy that’s 6 league games mostly against challenging teams, hopefully a lot of our injured players will be at full fitness, could be down to what Mark Robins is allowed to do in the January transfer window on how we do in the New Year.

skybluesam66

with the season now only 44 games - Play offs will be around the 70 points mark, and autos around the 85 point mark

so this means

Play offs will need from the remaining 27 games 41 points and 56 for autos

so play offs is something like

W 11 D 8 L 8 (Definitely achievable)

Autos is a little trickier at

W 16 D 8 L 3 (especially as we havent yet played Ipswich, wycombe or Sunderland)

steve cooper

([B said:
especially as we havent yet played Ipswich, wycombe or Sunderland[/B])
I don't wish to jinx the next few games but;
1. we have an excellent recent record against Wycombe & Sunderland
2. we tend to play better against sides near the top.
3. we have either played well against, or beaten everyone else in the top 10 except Rotherham

edgy

I don't wish to jinx the next few games but;
1. we have an excellent recent record against Wycombe & Sunderland
2. we tend to play better against sides near the top.
3. we have either played well against, or beaten everyone else in the top 10 except Rotherham

That's 17th nailed on then.

steve cooper

If we can be somewhere around where we are today league wise by January 1st i would be very happy that’s 6 league games mostly against challenging teams, hopefully a lot of our injured players will be at full fitness, could be down to what Mark Robins is allowed to do in the January transfer window on how we do in the New Year.
January transfer activity is key to our season.
We play Sunderland, Ipswich, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Wycombe, and if you count Jan 1st. Tranmere
I think 10 points from that lot is achievable. This should keep us well in contention.

ccfc92

We’ve always had a multitude of form charts and those kind of indicators...not sure what the point is though - you really saying that replaces a league table?

Can just imagine being down the pub now with my mates who support other teams, and when asked where cov are in the table I’ll say “well actually it’s not really indicative so there’s this guy called Philosorapter....” :banghead:

Heard a Man U fan say the other day they'd be top if games only lasted 45 mins or something stupid like that...

harvey098

January transfer activity is key to our season.
We play Sunderland, Ipswich, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Wycombe, and if you count Jan 1st. Tranmere
I think 10 points from that lot is achievable. This should keep us well in contention.

Where do you think we need to sign players? It’s only really a striker that I could see us going for but Godden will be back by January anyway. I don’t see us signing anyone.

CCFC88

Where do you think we need to sign players? It’s only really a striker that I could see us going for but Godden will be back by January anyway. I don’t see us signing anyone.
All depends on what formation we go with, we have 4-5 players who can make up the back 3, any injury crisis can be resolved with going back to a 4, plenty of cover at wing back. CM loaded.

I think we will definitely look at a striker no matter how Godden is shaping up. I also think he'll take a look at a couple of wingers, probably on loan if JJ comes back to any type of player by Jan-Feb I wouldn't be surprised by a winger or two to back up/contend him and Hiwula in a 433

shmmeee

If nothing else we are down Jobello from the start of the season. And Kastaneer has hardly set the world alight. I’d like to see another wide player, but that’s about it

Magwitch

You should always sign better players if able to and if they are available. Not seen Jamie Allen yet or if JJ is back to full fitness and firing on all cylinders but I’d look for another striker/goalscorer. It’s shown without doubt with Godden out we are not potent enough up front, an injury again to Godden after January would make things very tough.

ccfc92

You should always sign better players if able to and if they are available. Not seen Jamie Allen yet or if JJ is back to full fitness and firing on all cylinders but I’d look for another striker/goalscorer. It’s shown without doubt with Godden out we are not potent enough up front, an injury again to Godden after January would make things very tough.

Also, we can pretty much sack off Hiwula and Baka. Unless they hit form within the next 6 weeks...

Like you said, you should always look to improve the squad if possible.

stupot07

This is the table based on points per game.

793e40fc1f69818c2ff3c4bbabb8a115.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

steve cooper

You're right, providing all or most of the current injuries clear up as expected, but we have already seen injuries taking much longer than expected to clear up. Godden should be back by Jan but if he isn't we will need to do something I think, in the loan market at the least. And MR has hinted as much.

Philosorapter

This should be a good place to start.

FIDE meeting 9-12 April, Warsaw – Stewart Reuben – English Chess Federation

Followed by the three attached papers.

Hope this helps a little.

I've been messing around with this stuff a good decade before these papers and meeting.

Philosorapter

Glicko like any other rating system is just a model. There are always going to be weaknesses. However, it should be close enough to the league table even when modelling a draw at .5 rather then .33
Of course, it is doing lots of other stuff as well which can be read about above.

This is why I keep on saying, it is a measurement of performance based on results rather than a substitute for the league table itself.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Surely it's just a snapshot of games played to date? No assumptions made about future performance.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

But that's what you end up with when you use games currently played as the basis for future performance. The teams will stay in the same positions because they are gaining points at the same rate across the season. The real question is are we going to maintain our average, drop it, or increase it?

itsabuzzard

But that's what you end up with when you use games currently played as the basis for future performance. The teams will stay in the same positions because they are gaining points at the same rate across the season. The real question is are we going to maintain our average, drop it, or increase it?
I hadn't realised anyone was using it as the basis for future performance. Isn't it an attempt to gauge relative performance, removing the discrepancy in number of games played?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread