Gambling sponsorship (1 Viewer)

alexccfc99

Well then the question comes does the sport want to rake in more from an addiction than something less predatory. The same goes for Wonga, Carling, Magners, Tennents etc.

On that note actually, you never see clubs with booze sponsorships nowadays do you? I can't think of one - Was it completely banned or has football just moved on?

Wonga went bust I'm pretty sure

Nick

Administrator
Well then the question comes does the sport want to rake in more from an addiction than something less predatory. The same goes for Wonga, Carling, Magners, Tennents etc.

That's my point, it will take a massive shakeup to do a ban on particular advertising and sponsors to make it have any impact.

There's no point them saying "You clubs can't make more money from having a gambling sponsor" but then have TV adverts, league sponsorships etc.

Same goes with the League Cup sponsors.

alexccfc99

I got the free shirt included with last year’s season ticket but haven’t bought anything with that sponsor on and won’t till it changes. Interestingly the wife says it’s not on junior shirts which says everything

It's banned on Junior Shirts, as is alcohol - I remember a family friend and a big Rangers fan buying me a shirt for my birthday one year in the days they were sponsored by Carling and it was sponsor less

In an ideal world CCFC would give people the choice and stock adult shirts with and without the sponsor, but I imagine somewhere it would be a breach of contract as part of Boylesports sponsorship package is they will be on the replica shirts as well, more brand exposure for them

Brighton Sky Blue

On that note actually, you never see clubs with booze sponsorships nowadays do you? I can't think of one - Was it completely banned or has football just moved on?

Wonga went bust I'm pretty sure

Celtic and Rangers were the last two of note, I think another club had Rekorderlig as a sponsor but not sure which. As I said, I’m not buying CCFC kit till the gambling logo is removed or the sponsor withdrawn.

napolimp

What? No, this thread is about gambling. Why would I expect you to go through other threads?

You have started trying to patronise about what a discussion is and people researching but then gone on to show you don't have a clue? I expect people to be able to have a discussion themselves before trying to patronise others about them.

But you didn't write "gambling advertising", you only used the word advertising, when talking about limiting the advertising during the football. You can go back and read what you said if you want.

You are right about me being patronising though. I can't help it because your posts are so dumb. I'm tired of this now, have a nice evening.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's my point, it will take a massive shakeup to do a ban on particular advertising and sponsors to make it have any impact.

There's no point them saying "You clubs can't make more money from having a gambling sponsor" but then have TV adverts, league sponsorships etc.

Same goes with the League Cup sponsors.

Which means it’s crossed wires I think. Football is the most popular sport in the world and the English leagues are huge-if we can’t find an alternative set of sponsors willing to pay big money I’d be stunned.

alexccfc99

Celtic and Rangers were the last two of note, I think another club had Rekorderlig as a sponsor but not sure which. As I said, I’m not buying CCFC kit till the gambling logo is removed or the sponsor withdrawn.

Just done some research, currently no active alcohol shirt sponsorships in England... last was Everton in 2017 when their long standing deal with Chang Beer expired

Nick

Administrator
But you didn't write "gambling advertising", you only used the word advertising, when talking about limiting the advertising during the football. You can go back and read what you said if you want.

You are right about me being patronising though. I can't help it because your posts are so dumb. I'm tired of this now, have a nice evening.

So try disproving them then?

By limiting advertising whilst discussing banning gambling things, you couldn't follow the discussion to realise what was meant?

I hope that on every match thread now people confirm exactly which match they are talking about so the discussion expert doesn't get confused.

Finham

Of course TV advertising doesn't help. It's near constant now and it was a big mistake to deregulate-which was only in 2007.

Nick

Administrator
Interestingly, Spain ban alcohol sponsors if it's over 20%.

I can't remember if there are beer adverts around the pitch at CBS, obviously there's the Boyle Ones.

I think there are adverts for pubs (the tavern) but not individual beers?

alexccfc99

Interestingly, Spain ban alcohol sponsors if it's over 20%.

I can't remember if there are beer adverts around the pitch at CBS, obviously there's the Boyle Ones.

I think there are adverts for pubs (the tavern) but not individual beers?

They've got the Heineken Lounge in the ground, but CCFC obviously never negotiated that deal

Brighton Sky Blue

Check out Gary Sweet of Luton Town's stance on gambling sponsorships, I imagine yourself in particular would find it particularly refreshing

I occasionally play cricket with someone who produces ad campaigns and online material for PaddyPower. For that he works with the various pros and ex pros they rope in to say a few lines.

Does make me wonder how such people can do that knowing how the industry works

Nick

Administrator
I occasionally play cricket with someone who produces ad campaigns and online material for PaddyPower. For that he works with the various pros and ex pros they rope in to say a few lines.

Does make me wonder how such people can do that knowing how the industry works

giphy.gif

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Hi all,

not sure how many of you are aware but the gambling act white paper review has been put back once again, there is talk that the premier league will do a voluntary ban on gambling shirt sponsorship. Personally, I think that this should be filtered down to all leagues.

The big step are doing online petitions for all EFL teams with front of shirt gambling sponsor in order to go to the government with a list of how many people have signed petitions for each club.

If it’s something you agree with, then please can you sign this petition and maybe get your mates too.

This is not a protest petition against the club, it’s more to go to the government and say for example ‘345 Coventry city fans think there should be no front of shirt gambling sponsorship within their club’

I get this is not something everyone agrees with as some people don’t mind gambling sponsorship in football, but once again, if it’s something you don’t agree with then please sign for me.

Thanks, Sean
Happily signed. I was once addicted to one-armed bandits many years ago. This was when a pint was less than a quid. I'd go to the bar, order a pint, pay with a tenner and ask for the change in pound coins. The whole lot went into those fu**in. machines. So, basically, a pint was costing me a tenner about 25 -30 years ago! I can quite easily walk past these machines nowadays. I also think gambling adverts should be banned the same as cigarettes and tobacco. Best of luck with the campaign.

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Happily signed. I was once addicted to one-armed bandits many years ago. This was when a pint was less than a quid. I'd go to the bar, order a pint, pay with a tenner and ask for the change in pound coins. The whole lot went into those fu**in. machines. So, basically, a pint was costing me a tenner about 25 -30 years ago! I can quite easily walk past these machines nowadays. I also think gambling adverts should be banned the same as cigarettes and tobacco. Best of luck with the campaign.
yes I know the feeling nearly a whole weeks wages chasing the losses.
Made a few people rich, back in the early 80s.

Houchens Head

yes I know the feeling nearly a whole weeks wages chasing the losses.
Made a few people rich, back in the early 80s.
You've just reminded me of when I lost (almost) a whole weeks wage in a card game. Many years ago, I worked nights for the City Engineers Dept. During our dinner break we'd play "3 Card Brag", literally for pennies and fun. One night, I was dealt a prial - a very good hand. In the same draw, another bloke was dealt a high run, and another a good hand. Unbeknown to me (obviously) one of the drivers was also dealt a prial. Money was being tossed into the kitty for ages. Eventually, the two high hands dropped out, which left me and Eddie, the driver. I said to him, "Eddie, I won't let you go any further. I have a prial!". My heart sank when he said, "Me too!" I knew he had me beaten because I had just a prial of two's. Any prial he had would beat me. As it was, he had Jacks. I took very little wages home that shift (back in the day when we were paid weekly and in cash). It taught me a lesson though, and I've never played cards for money ever again. That was about 1973.

skyblue1991

I personally aren't fussed by gambling sponsors on shirts, in a similar manner to alcohol on shirts

However the adverts on TV are very seducing to anyone with an ounce of gambling addiction and should be banned. I think it could even tempt a non-gambler so what it must do with those that are struggling is hard to imagine!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I personally aren't fussed by gambling sponsors on shirts, in a similar manner to alcohol on shirts

However the adverts on TV are very seducing to anyone with an ounce of gambling addiction and should be banned. I think it could even tempt a non-gambler so what it must do with those that are struggling is hard to imagine!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I'm happy for an alcohol sponsor on a shirt, as long as the front of the shirt looks like someone's vomited down it.

robbiekeane

Bookies and gambling companies are the absolute bottom of the barrel, morally bankrupt.

I’ve never had a gambling problem and never really bet…unless I’m going to the races or I happen to be in vegas or whatever and even then I’ll put aside $50 and say that’s the nights spending money

I worked for one of the big high street bookies while I was at Uni because I needed the money and it was horrendous. Their whole strategy was to make the gamblers feel like they’re “at home”, so they drilled into you at training that you needed to always offer tea and coffee at all times and they shouldn’t have to ask you for one.

Just keep the people in there as long as they can do they can lose as much money as possible

Loved quitting that job

Houchens Head

Bookies and gambling companies are the absolute bottom of the barrel, morally bankrupt.

I’ve never had a gambling problem and never really bet…unless I’m going to the races or I happen to be in vegas or whatever and even then I’ll put aside $50 and say that’s the nights spending money

I worked for one of the big high street bookies while I was at Uni because I needed the money and it was horrendous. Their whole strategy was to make the gamblers feel like they’re “at home”, so they drilled into you at training that you needed to always offer tea and coffee at all times and they shouldn’t have to ask you for one.

Just keep the people in there as long as they can do they can lose as much money as possible

Loved quitting that job
And then they advertise on TV with the ending "Be Gamble Aware" and "Stop when the fun stops!" What bastards!

Users who are viewing this thread