Gael signs contract extension! (1 Viewer)

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10269~2413841,00.html

COVENTRY City midfielder Gael Bigirimana has signed a 12-month extension to his current professional contract with the club.

The 17-year-old, who made his full league debut for the Sky Blues in their opening day league fixture with Leicester City on Saturday, August 6, initially signed his first professional deal with the club in July 2011 to June 2013.
Bigirimana, a graduate of the club's academy set-up, has now penned an extension to his current contract which runs to June 2014.

Coventry City manager Andy Thorn said: "I'm delighted Gael has decided to sign this new deal.
"He has acquitted himself extremely well since his step up to the first team, he fully deserved to make his league debut at the weekend and this extension shows how highly we regard him."

cornoccfc

Great news, and the board should be applauded for sorting out an extension so quickly!

Dinyull

More contracts handed out to current players in the past week than the rest of their time here - what are SISU up to?!?!

cornoccfc

More contracts handed out to current players in the past week than the rest of their time here - what are SISU up to?!?!

probably learnt a lesson from letting too many players enter their final 12 months and then run it down to leave on a free

shmmeee

That or they're boosting the clubs assets on paper so the books look better for potential buyers/investors. Either is good news IMO.

Astute

Maybe Liverpool have been sniffing around our youth players again.

Dinyull

That or they're boosting the clubs assets on paper so the books look better for potential buyers/investors. Either is good news IMO.

Wasn't this covered last week, the general feeling was that home grown players went down as being worth £0. Someone had studied it at Uni, seen Man U's books and saw Scholes, Giggs etc down as £0.

shmmeee

Wasn't this covered last week, the general feeling was that home grown players went down as being worth £0. Someone had studied it at Uni, seen Man U's books and saw Scholes, Giggs etc down as £0.

Fair point, I thought that player contracts had a value though, could be wrong.

Also (@akira), would make no difference to next summer as his contract still had two years to run, but who needs facts when we're SISU bashing eh?

skybluesben

Great news! :)

shmmeee

EDIT: Thread moved, making me look like an even bigger arse.

Last edited:

rob9872

Players contracts are included in the accounts. In fact if you look at our BS, they are our only real asset :(

spwaverley4916

good news - but it makes you wonder who has been 'making enquiries' on GB's availability. Birmingham probably!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was speaking to someone at the match who reckons GB absolutely loves CCFC and will stay at the club as long as they will have him. He has no desires to leave as there is no bigger/better club in his opinion. A religous lad like this I don't think even Cash Money would tempt him.

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Fair point, I thought that player contracts had a value though, could be wrong.

Also (@akira), would make no difference to next summer as his contract still had two years to run, but who needs facts when we're SISU bashing eh?

No value to contracts for players developed by the club. So no worth shown on the accounts.

However the player pool would have a "value" to any potential buyer of the club because they could look at each player and say how much could i sell him for. It is two different things - current accounts worth and potential sale value

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Good news that they have moved to keep him- definitely the right thing to do

Nick

Administrator
But surely if somebody came in to buy him, we could ask for more based on how long on his contract he has left? That's what I was getting at. :)

brinner

wont make any diffrence if he signs a 10 year deal, if he impresses enough he will be sold in january for about £500k.

I was speaking to someone at the match who reckons GB absolutely loves CCFC and will stay at the club as long as they will have him. He has no desires to leave as there is no bigger/better club in his opinion. A religous lad like this i don't think even Money would tempt him.

:D:D:D aww makes me happy

shmmeee

No value to contracts for players developed by the club. So no worth shown on the accounts.

However the player pool would have a "value" to any potential buyer of the club because they could look at each player and say how much could i sell him for. It is two different things - current accounts worth and potential sale value

Thanks OSB, so it still could be useful for attracting investment?

shmmeee

A religous lad like this i don't think even Money would tempt him.

Well, he tends to manage lower league teams anyway, thought I guess they might have a relationship from his days at the City academy.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
But surely if somebody came in to buy him, we could ask for more based on how long on his contract he has left? That's what I was getting at. :)

all part of how you could put a potential sale value on a player plus other factors like age experience etc yes Nick. But it isnt the figure that appears on the acoounts. eg Gael could be sold at £2m but his value in the CCFC accounts will be £0 because we never paid anything to sign him. Once sold the accounts would show a profit of £2m

Nick

Administrator
Yep, I understand it accounts wise I just meant if big clubs were sniffing around now it would make him more appealing :)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
all part of what any clever potential new owner would look at shmmmee yes.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Yep, I understand it accounts wise I just meant if big clubs were sniffing around now it would make him more appealing :)

think its more about harder to prize away so more likely to push price up. We all know the intention of contracts but we all know they can be broken. It is a way of safeguarding an asset for the club something they failed to do with Conor Thomas last season. Should mean we get to see the young man develop for a while, contribute to the team and hopefully increase in valus so that if we do have to sell we get the right price not a panic sale one

Users who are viewing this thread