Fun in the Premier League? (1 Viewer)

Macca

Might solve our financial woes but doesn’t look like a bag of laughs from 13th downwards. We’d have 15K crowds after the first year and protests and boycotts 😂

Attachments

• E9C8AA73-E1AF-49AE-BF92-68DCEBB470EF.jpeg
    E9C8AA73-E1AF-49AE-BF92-68DCEBB470EF.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 151

pusbccfc

There is no way whatsoever we'd have crowds below 20k.

Every other club sells out 90%+ of games. We'd sell 20k season tickets comfortably.

Grendel

There is no way whatsoever we'd have crowds below 20k.

Every other club sells out 90%+ of games. We'd sell 20k season tickets comfortably.

I’d assume we’d be charging £35 a game plenty on here moan and want a free mascot scheme

chiefdave

Every other club sells out 90%+ of games
Is this a genuine stat? Seems to be empty seats at a lot of televised games. Guess it could be season ticket holders not showing up but if demand was so great you'd think they'd have a queue of people wanting to use their ST if they couldn't attend a game

Realistically we'd be lucky to make it to Christmas before people were demanding changes if we were in a relegation battle and I can imagine the response when the club announces cat A games are £60 a ticket

pusbccfc

Is this a genuine stat? Seems to be empty seats at a lot of televised games. Guess it could be season ticket holders not showing up but if demand was so great you'd think they'd have a queue of people wanting to use their ST if they couldn't attend a game

Realistically we'd be lucky to make it to Christmas before people were demanding changes if we were in a relegation battle and I can imagine the response when the club announces cat A games are £60 a ticket

There is no way games would be £60. The club are stupid, but not that bad.

You'd comfortably sell out the big games and then games against Bournemouth etc would be £25-£30 and offer a slightly more affordable option.

Even at £400, we'd sell 20,000 season tickets. Easily.

Take a look at the likes of Stoke, averaged around 14k in the Championship and then after promotion sold out pretty much every game for the many years they were there. They've now dropped to around 20k a week.

pusbccfc

I’d assume we’d be charging £35 a game plenty on here moan and want a free mascot scheme

Fewer games and £35 is something people would pay for a PL ticket.

Season tickets would be affordable and most would get them. Teams like Wolves and Southampton on really have around 5000 match day tickets on day each game.

Grendel

You'd comfortably sell out the big games and then games against Bournemouth etc would be £25-£30 and offer a slightly more affordable option.

Even at £400, we'd sell 20,000 season tickets. Easily.

Take a look at the likes of Stoke, averaged around 14k in the Championship and then after promotion sold out pretty much every game for the many years they were there. They've now dropped to around 20k a week.

I think season tickets next season will be £400 in this league

Grendel

Fewer games and £35 is something people would pay for a PL ticket.

Season tickets would be affordable and most would get them. Teams like Wolves and Southampton on really have around 5000 match day tickets on day each game.

Aren’t wolves season tickets around £700?

chiefdave

This highlights the issue, an expectation that we charge less than other clubs. A game against Villa for example would be a premium fixture

Only checked a couple of clubs as for a lot you seem to have to sign up to get access to ticket info but Villa charge up to £59 for their top category games, West Ham up to £100. Unless they are outliers what makes you think there is no way our top price games would be £60?

Of course if we were playing the likes of Brentford on a wet Wednesday night in the middle of winter its more likely to be £30 a ticket but even then there would no doubt be people moaning that its not a 'big' game and the club should be running ticket offers

not entirely sure that's accurate. Brentford have a 17,250 capacity stadium and a record attendance of 17,137 for the Boxing Day game against Spurs but according to that they average 23,943

Happy_Martian

I've said this before and it'll probably generate more calls of derision. While we would have an initial rise in crowds eager to see what the new world is like, unless we did a Forest and bought an entire new squad, that would shrink rapidly as results started to fall away. Firstly, if you ever attended a Premier League game at Highfield Road, you would already know that the general populace of Coventry is very apathetic towards their football club. In the 90s, we only sold out against Man Ure, Liverpool and Chelsea. Every other game was 15K including away fans. And at that time, tickets were £20 for top games. 20K season tickets ? Zero chance of that happening, even if we got into Europe. The majority of our "fans" will only attend big games as they have done at Wembley, our semi-final vs Crewe and the "Return to the Ricoh" game vs Gillingham. Even last year with our amazing run of results at home, we were still only averaging 20K including away fans.

And it's a guarantee that ticket prices will rise, as well as everything else for sale. The club are not fools but they are also a money making device so doubling the cost of a pie or burger wouldn't be far from their thoughts. And you can bet the argument would be that we're taking in more fans so more police needed, bigger F&B contracts etc. Or we're not getting as many fans as we expected so prices have to rise to cover the shortfall.

Yes, I would love to see Coventry back in the top flight but any attempts in the near future would be disastrous to our long term ambitions. There is a reason why there are so many yo-yo clubs of a greater stability/financial backing than us. Even with cash, these clubs still struggle.

fatso

I've said this before and it'll probably generate more calls of derision. While we would have an initial rise in crowds eager to see what the new world is like, unless we did a Forest and bought an entire new squad, that would shrink rapidly as results started to fall away. Firstly, if you ever attended a Premier League game at Highfield Road, you would already know that the general populace of Coventry is very apathetic towards their football club. In the 90s, we only sold out against Man Ure, Liverpool and Chelsea. Every other game was 15K including away fans. And at that time, tickets were £20 for top games. 20K season tickets ? Zero chance of that happening, even if we got into Europe. The majority of our "fans" will only attend big games as they have done at Wembley, our semi-final vs Crewe and the "Return to the Ricoh" game vs Gillingham. Even last year with our amazing run of results at home, we were still only averaging 20K including away fans.

And it's a guarantee that ticket prices will rise, as well as everything else for sale. The club are not fools but they are also a money making device so doubling the cost of a pie or burger wouldn't be far from their thoughts. And you can bet the argument would be that we're taking in more fans so more police needed, bigger F&B contracts etc. Or we're not getting as many fans as we expected so prices have to rise to cover the shortfall.

Yes, I would love to see Coventry back in the top flight but any attempts in the near future would be disastrous to our long term ambitions. There is a reason why there are so many yo-yo clubs of a greater stability/financial backing than us. Even with cash, these clubs still struggle.
1 season in the Premier league could potentially make us enough money to buy the CBS, or put us well on the way to building our own new stadium.

Teams like West ham were yo yo clubs for years before becoming established.

If we don't aim for the Premier league, what's the point of existing? And who knows what we could achieve with some serious investment.

Grendel

People wouldn’t like the mascot packages in the premier league

Villa charge £500 for a poor package really and wolves vary between teams they play against and it’s £350 - £450 oh and sold out for the season

Peanuts to a PL club why are they so dumb to not offer freebies or crowd fund deals as it’s then making sure there are working class fans for life?

chiefdave

1 season in the Premier league could potentially make us enough money to buy the CBS, or put us well on the way to building our own new stadium.
potentially is the word there. there's also potential for an owner to find a way to divert the money into their own bank account

LastGarrison

Have to disagree with this.

In the 90's we had been a regular top flight club for years so playing the "bigger" teams was not unusual and we were perennial relegation fodder with no real expectation of performing well.

Anyone under the age of 22 would never have seen us play in the top flight and realistically anyone under 27 probably doesn't remember it if they did attend!!

The club has shown that if they have success the fan base is there and if somehow we managed to get promotion that one year in the top flight would see home attendances increase massively and every away game sell out in my opinion.

Macca

To a degree I think most fans just want their team to win games and entertain. Cant be much fun being at end of January and only had a handful of wins. I agree there would be some football tourists for a season but after that not so sure

Sky Blue Harry H

I’d just like one season in the top flight to have a chance to go watch the top teams play. After one season I’d get fed up getting hammered every week.

would also help the club finanacially aswell.
Pretty much this. Very difficult to stand still and keep fans happy. Not many weeks ago the majority on here were rightly worried about relegation (we might be again if everything conspires against us) but I'd take a season of potential humiliation if it set us up for financial stability and the capacity to continue building the club.

Macca

This is bonkers on several levels. First off bonkers talking about promotion but second off the money from one season would sort the club financially for years even if we went right back down. Third there’s no question you’d want to see the best players in the country

I don’t think we are anywhere near it. Was just looking at the bottom half of table and thinking it doesn’t look much fun

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t think we are anywhere near it. Was just looking at the bottom half of table and thinking it doesn’t look much fun
Would rather be fighting to stay in the top flight than hoping for top half of the Championship

shmmeee

This highlights the issue, an expectation that we charge less than other clubs. A game against Villa for example would be a premium fixture

Only checked a couple of clubs as for a lot you seem to have to sign up to get access to ticket info but Villa charge up to £59 for their top category games, West Ham up to £100. Unless they are outliers what makes you think there is no way our top price games would be £60?

Of course if we were playing the likes of Brentford on a wet Wednesday night in the middle of winter its more likely to be £30 a ticket but even then there would no doubt be people moaning that its not a 'big' game and the club should be running ticket offers

not entirely sure that's accurate. Brentford have a 17,250 capacity stadium and a record attendance of 17,137 for the Boxing Day game against Spurs but according to that they average 23,943

Not a problem if you’re filling the ground really.

pusbccfc

Football is completely different now to what it was in the 90s. We shouldn't ever use that as a marker. We get bigger crowds now than at Highfield Road.

Take a look at 96/97 seasons: Premier League 1996/1997 - Attendance

We were averaging around the same then as what we do now. However, look at Leicester, Sunderland, Derby, Southampton and West Ham. The Irons get 60k a week now, yet only 25k then. The others all similar to us back then but significantly higher. Leicester sell out every week and have done since they were promoted 10 years ago. Football has increased in popularity since the 90s where you'd regularly see empty seats at games.

The Premier League is huge. We had 23k against West Brom in the Championship just before Christmas at £33 a ticket. The idea that we wouldn't sell another 9/10k for even an average PL fixture is crazy.

The other thing that makes a difference is the memberships etc. Most clubs make it impossible to get tickets to Man United, Chelsea and the Liverpool's unless you go the other fixtures. The ability to pick and choose games wouldn't be easy. You'd need a season ticket or a high points score to get a Category A ticket. Similarly with away tickets, you'd have to go Bournemouth at home to ensure you have a chance for a ticket at United.

For what it's worth, I enjoy the Championship. It's a mess financially and things do need to change urgently. A year in the PL would be exciting and would grow our fan base in the long run.

pusbccfc

Aren’t wolves season tickets around £700?

They are, yeah. One of the most expensive ST in the league. Lowest is around £500 and the highest towards £800. Smaller city than us and similar economic difficulties and yet they sell out every week.

There would be plenty of people in Coventry willing to pay £600 for a premium ticket in the West Stand.

The important thing is that the majority of tickets are reasonably priced. Clubs like Leicester, Southampton, West Ham and even Man City have STs as cheap as £350.

Macca

Football is completely different now to what it was in the 90s. We shouldn't ever use that as a marker. We get bigger crowds now than at Highfield Road.

We were averaging around the same then as what we do now. However, look at Leicester, Sunderland, Derby, Southampton and West Ham. The Irons get 60k a week now, yet only 25k then. The others all similar to us back then but significantly higher. Leicester sell out every week and have done since they were promoted 10 years ago. Football has increased in popularity since the 90s where you'd regularly see empty seats at games.

The Premier League is huge. We had 23k against West Brom in the Championship just before Christmas at £33 a ticket. The idea that we wouldn't sell another 9/10k for even an average PL fixture is crazy.

The other thing that makes a difference is the memberships etc. Most clubs make it impossible to get tickets to Man United, Chelsea and the Liverpool's unless you go the other fixtures. The ability to pick and choose games wouldn't be easy. You'd need a season ticket or a high points score to get a Category A ticket. Similarly with away tickets, you'd have to go Bournemouth at home to ensure you have a chance for a ticket at United.

For what it's worth, I enjoy the Championship. It's a mess financially and things do need to change urgently. A year in the PL would be exciting and would grow our fan base in the long run.

Check this out, just shows the rose tinted spectacles of old bastards like me when I bore people about 80s football 😂

Attachments

• 1C62FC50-4A22-4942-961A-3A20B82C134D.jpeg
    1C62FC50-4A22-4942-961A-3A20B82C134D.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 50

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Why did only 17k turn up against Sheffield United only a while back ? Given the size of Coventry, hardcore support is not that good compared to Leicester, wolves, Derby or Forest. It never really has been . If we won promotion to the PL and struggled we would see gates drop off after the first season. We are up to around 20k now and I suspect we'd average around 24-25k absolute tops after 3 years hovering around the relegation zone in the PL. That's much higher than we'd get 20 years ago had Highfield Road been able to hold that many but no way would we sell out like our local rivals can. We will never shift over 20k season tickets unless we are looking at winning the PL or have an owner who really invests in the club and we see sustained improvement over 3-5 years once we are promoted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread