From A Sheffield United (4 Viewers)

Otis

Hi David! Can you plant me a rose*!!! LOL! Only joking, m8! Just a bit of 'banter'!

*Your surname's Gardner which when said sounds a lot like gardener and a gardener might plant me a rose, but not in a g@y way. Not that there's anything wrong with being g@y or planting roses. In fact, someone who's not g@y could quite happily plant a rose in this day and age and most folk wouldn't bat an eyelid.
I'm proud of you, Brian. All that talk of Gardner and not once did you use the word 'uphill.'

RegTheDonk

boycott of matches and season tickets? im guessing your owners are only there for the money so if you take that away then theres nothing really left for them
Well thats the thing David. Bottom line is our owners take nothing from the club apparently - we have to be self sufficient. So Ideas like you've suggested have been discussed for a lot longer than the 90 minutes of whistles you had to endure. This was a desperate attempt by a handful of people to try and get some publicity and re-ignite the media talk that's been lacking nationally since the last decent protest when we played Arsenal in the cup. Nothing personal against the Blades, our fights with SISU not you - I'm sure if your lot, who started chanting before the pitch invasion, knew the nuts and bolts of the situation, you'd have been shouting SISU out with us.

Be happy with the 3 points and Merry Christmas.

oscillatewildly

I'm proud of you, Brian. All that talk of Gardner and not once did you use the word 'uphill.'
That's correct, Otis. I did wonder though, when the boy Brian decided to wield the word "bat" that there may have been a mention of "The other side". This never occurred of course and a straight furrow continued to be ploughed with hardy perennials kept in check.

KG7

Hello there Sheffield united fan in peace here,
I just wanted to say a few words from the my view which i believe represents the view of the majority of blades fans.

Firstly i want to say that the majority of blades do think what is happening to your club is appalling and out of the many fans i spoke to pre game most of them feel sorry for Coventry fans at what is happening.
Now to the pro SISU chanting which i want to highlight was done by the minority of fans. From my view the reason this took place was mainly due to the fact that in our end people were telling each other the game was getting called off during your pitch invasion. This cause many of our fans to become frustrated (including me) as it had cost quite a lot of money to get down there for the night. Also the fact that fighting between fans started occurring and what seemed like half of your stadium blowing those whistles all night didn't really help the situation.

Anyway all the best for the rest of season and i reallu do hope SISU sells up

Mr Gardner, you've come on here offering an olive branch and then immediately gone on the attack. Toddle off back to Owlerton sir, nothing good will come of your time here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travs

I understand the comments the Sheffield United guy was making, and I think of all our problems, getting angry at Sheffield United fans because of a few songs is a bit low on our priorities.

Are we all reproaching ourselves for the support we gave Marlon King when he played for us? Or what about the abuse we gave Leicester for 'cheating' their way to administration, now we all wish we had done the same... Or how about singing 'bubbles' away at Millwall... Let's face it, football fans will do pretty much anything in the way of banter...

I'm sure most Sheffield United fans are decent, like the majority of fans at all clubs.

Still fucking hate them though, have done since the 90's, the wankers...

lifeskyblue

Thanks David for coming on and giving your perspective. The majority of fans whether sheff Utd or any other team support the principle of what we are doing here at Coventry. On the night for me the chants were banter and should not worry anyone who has followed football at different grounds.
As others say the whistles were important as they could form part of the action over 90mins. SKY picked it up and commented so many more thousands were made aware of our plight. Overall a success.
As for the pitch invasion...it was peaceful , only happened for a few minutes and again made the point for the media and wider public. Again a success.
I wouldn't want any other club to have owners like ours or a history as we have over the last few years... they have taken out club to the brink and we may shortly face oblivion. But with our fans and hopefully the support of fellow football fans such as yourself we may yet survive. The football world would be far poorer without us, Blackpool, Portsmouth or those other clubs that have or are going through the mill.

mrtrench

David, you and your fellow supporters don't seem to have any idea what has been going on here at Coventry. I won't go onto one of your forums to explain because I think that would be a rude intrusion - and unnecessary as we all seem to be reading each others' forums anyway. Remember this isn't something new - this has been going on for years.

1. Nobody was trying to get the game abandoned or aiming anything at the SU fans. There were I hear some scuffles but I think that the atmosphere escalated mutually. This was entirely aimed at getting some attention on TV to our plight.

2. SISU has taken us to the brink of relegation to the old 4th division. And not many believe that we'll do any better there.

3 Whenever any manager has managed to get a few gems from the youth team through or someone we could sell, they have been sold. Stevenson is the latest kid to come through and shine and most expect him to go in January - long before he can reach potential here. The kids go straight from our first team to other clubs' youth teams or out on loan. Over the past 5 years or so I believe we've only paid for 2 players to join - and one of those was sold off at a profit after 1 season. For the main part our team is made up of free transfers and the youth team - long before they are ready.

4. SISU have attacked the city, not just the club. They tried to bankrupt the company owning the lease on the Ricoh (for which a local charity had most of the equity) and have two law suits on-going against the council. Despite having opportunities to buy the ground they instead moved the team to Northampton as part of their 'starve Arena Coventry' strategy. Every time they lost a case they appealed and these are still on-going. Few in Coventry believe they have any case and the judges have been damning of their representations. And in the meantime they have managed to alienate the local council.

5. We have no ground. We are renting the Ricoh from Wasps, who bought the ground when the club failed to take any action. The lease expires at the end of next season and talks to renew have stopped. For years now, SISU have been saying they will build a new stadium but of course they do nothing. Most believe this is hot air as part of their strategy to take money from the council.

6. We also lost our academy training ground and now they are trying to sell the club's training ground for housing development. As it stands, in 18 months we will have no ground and nowhere to train.

7. They have filled the club's echelons with various unsuitable stooges, who have made some ridiculous statements. One thought he could manage the team better than the manager, another related party suggested that the crowd should be empowered to text substitutions.

8. Communication with the fans is almost non-existent; we get occasional spin on the new ground which never happens and they will not communicate any strategy or aims for the club. Many have interpreted this as their strategy is just to starve the club; sell anything they can and make millions from suing the tax payer and the aforementioned charity. They will not reveal who actual owns the club, hiding behind the SISU banner. SISU is made up of a hive of inter-connected companies leading to a tax haven.

We have tried not going - did you notice how empty the stadium was? Crowds get lower every year. We have tried protests; handing our leaflets; placards; questions have been asked in parliament and the FA/FL have been written to. We are at our wits end. We fear for the future of the club; once they have sold everything and the court cases finish, what then for a club that was in the top flight for so many years? A club with a local population of over 300k and with no local rivals? In the grand scheme of things, we were I guess hoping that a little empathy and support would be more apt than whinging about a few whistles and a pitch invasion. All in all, given our desperation, your forum's comments come across as 'let them eat cake'. And whilst I personally don't object to the chanting of "we love SISU" and get the humour, many have obviously lost their sense of humour given the above.

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

David, you and your fellow supporters don't seem to have any idea what has been going on here at Coventry. I won't go onto one of your forums to explain because I think that would be a rude intrusion - and unnecessary as we all seem to be reading each others' forums anyway. Remember this isn't something new - this has been going on for years.

1. Nobody was trying to get the game abandoned or aiming anything at the SU fans. There were I hear some scuffles but I think that the atmosphere escalated mutually. This was entirely aimed at getting some attention on TV to our plight.

2. SISU has taken us to the bring of relegation to the old 4th division. And not many believe that we'll do any better there.

3 Whenever any manager has managed to get a few gems from the youth team through or someone we could sell, they have been sold. Stevenson is the latest kid to come through and shine and most expect him to go in January - long before he can reach potential here. The kids go straight from our first team to other clubs' youth teams or out on loan. Over the past 5 years or so I believe we've only paid for 2 players to join - and one of those was sold off at a profit after 1 season. For the main part our team is made up of free transfers and the youth team - long before they are ready.

4. SISU have attacked the city, not just the club. They tried to bankrupt the company owning the lease on the Ricoh (for which a local charity had most of the equity) and have two law suits on-going against the council. Despite having opportunities to buy the ground they instead moved the team to Northampton as part of their 'starve Arena Coventry' strategy. Every time they lost a case they appealed and these are still on-going. Few in Coventry believe they have any case and the judges have been damning of their representations. And in the meantime they have managed to alienate the local council.

5. We have no ground. We are renting the Ricoh from Wasps, who bought the ground when the club failed to take any action. The lease expires at the end of next season and talks to renew have stopped. For years now, SISU have been saying they will build a new stadium but of course they do nothing. Most believe this is hot air as part of their strategy to take money from the council.

6. We also lost our academy training ground and now they are trying to sell the club's training ground for housing development. As it stands, in 18 months we will have no ground and nowhere to train.

7. They have filled the club's echelons with various unsuitable stooges, who have made some ridiculous statements. One thought he could manage the team better than the manager, another related party suggested that the crowd should be empowered to text substitutions.

8. Communication with the fans is almost non-existent; we get occasional spin on the new ground which never happens and they will not communicate any strategy or aims for the club. Many have interpreted this as their strategy is just to starve the club; sell anything they can and make millions from suing the tax payer and the aforementioned charity. They will not reveal who actual owns the club, hiding behind the SISU banner. SISU is made up of a hive of inter-connected companies leading to a tax haven.

We have tried not going - did you notice how empty the stadium was? Crowds get lower every year. We have tried protests; handing our leaflets; placards; questions have been asked in parliament and the FA/FL have been written to. We are at our wits end. We fear for the future of the club; once they have sold everything and the court cases finish, what then for a club that was in the top flight for so many years? A club with a local population of over 300k and with no local rivals? In the grand scheme of things, we were I guess hoping that a little empathy and support would be more apt than whinging about a few whistles and a pitch invasion. All in all, given our desperation, your forums comments come across as 'let them eat cake'.

Excellent post mrT.

David if you read it could you post it on your forum so the fans of sheff Utd see the desperate state we are in.

mark82

boycott of matches and season tickets? im guessing your owners are only there for the money so if you take that away then theres nothing really left for them

Like the boycott that's been ongoing for 3 years now? Did you not notice the lack of people? They weren't all dressed up as Sky Blue seats you know.

The Prefect

Sorry David, your fans were mindless and abhorrent last night. We are on our last legs and you feel the need to mock us and chant at us.

Crikey - really feeling sorry for ourselves... We're on our last legs because the owners have put us there and that is IMO far game for opposition supporters. I don't like it either but that's the way it is.

David, your fans were football fans following their team. Mocking and rubbing the opposition's nose in their shit is part of the banter that goes on during the 90 minutes of the game.

As suggested earlier in the thread, your team and fans were collateral damage to protests and I think that they'll get worse over time. I have a lot of friends that are Blades supporters and one contact who was on the board for many years.

All football fans understand our plight. We're all part of one big footballing family.

James Smith

I've got a mate who is a Blades fan who is also bit of a twit. He started texting me on Thursday during the game and mocking our performance. However he did say he was in admiration of fans who felt so strongly about their club that they'd risk a lifetime ban/fine etc. to invade the pitch protesting about the owners.

fernandopartridge

I'm not bothered about the chanting myself, this is football and laughing at the misfortunes of others has always been part of the game.

Covstu

As for the night I think the comments inflamed the situation personally, it wound the city fans up even more and as a result started violence. I am all for banter and we are all guilty of it but it was in poor taste due to the occasion, any other game wouldn't have gotten the 'bite' it received on thursday

Users who are viewing this thread