Froch vs Groves (1 Viewer)

Marty

Agree. Needs a re-match. Also how did they have it so close? Groves dominated the first 6 of 7 rounds.

Marty

Froch is coming across as a right twat here,

Nick

Administrator
Why is froch winking at so many people?

He has had a huge let off, he may well have finished him off but the ref.should have let him.

Marty

The fight was decided before they stepped into the ring, how the judges had only 1 point between them is a joke, Groves won 6 of the 7 first rounds.

Nick

Administrator
Fans going mad at Froch too.

I feel sorry for Groves, was his dream.

Why did the ref get him in a headlock anyway?

Froch was very dirty as well.

Oh well, Sky and Eddie Hearne will make some money from the re-match won't they?

SkyblueBazza

The fight was decided before they stepped into the ring, how the judges had only 1 point between them is a joke, Groves won 6 of the 7 first rounds.

I don't even pretend to understand the scoring system...but as two had it so close maybe it's the other judge that should be questioned?

It does appear a little harsh stopping him that way...but had it continued - he might not have fought again...so with a positive slant on things, at least we still have two top super-middleweights.

Nick

Administrator
I don't even pretend to understand the scoring system...but as two had it so close maybe it's the other judge that should be questioned?

It does appear a little harsh stopping him that way...but had it continued - he might not have fought again...so with a positive slant on things, at least we still have two top super-middleweights.

Any punch could make somebody not fight again. Why would the ref get him in a headlock though?

Cue the big rematch marketing, trash talking and plenty more people paying to watch ;)

Marty

Surely no one who uses the internet pays for PPV TV? :thinking about:

SkyblueBazza

Any punch could make somebody not fight again. Why would the ref get him in a headlock though?

Cue the big rematch marketing, trash talking and plenty more people paying to watch ;)

Yes...but there are punches - & there are PUNCHES. And if you are punched when in fine fettle...it has a different impact to the same punch if you are already dazed & confused - greater risk of severe & permanent damage.

And yup...the management & promoters & agents & media will lap it up! Money for nothing get your chicks for free...

even the unofficial sky sports score card had groves 5 points up at the end of round 7. shocking ref and deserved to get all that shit.

never have time for froch since him and groves were on ringside together. he was saying that groves has no respect for him and being childish etc towards him. he was exactly the same with joe calzaghe, presenters on ringside pointed it out and showed a clip and he still denied it, and afterwards made himself look even more of a muppet.

thaiskyblue

Fair play to George Groves proved a lot of the doubters wrong, he has time on his side and his time will come , he put up a very good showing against a very good and experienced opponent , a defeat for Froch would been the end of his carear.

CCFC88

Groves won a lot of fans over last night and also probably a rather lucrative contract with Eddie Hearn.

Can't see froch fancying a rematch, 6 more months on the clock and a much more experienced groves.

Stoppage came maybe 20-30 seconds too early, groves should have taken a knee though.

SkyblueBazza

Groves won a lot of fans over last night and also probably a rather lucrative contract with Eddie Hearn.

Can't see froch fancying a rematch, 6 more months on the clock and a much more experienced groves.

Stoppage came maybe 20-30 seconds too early, groves should have taken a knee though.

Fists only in boxing! Lol

WeWillBeBack

Rob McCracken (Froch's coach) said at the post fight press conference that Groves had a difficult style and they knew it was going to be a tough one all along. The thing that annoyed me was that the commentators seemed so surprised about Groves after the knockdown that they didn't give Froch any credit at all for the first 6/7, when in reality after watching it again he actually won probably 3 of the rounds. From round 6 onwards Froch started landing and Groves to me looked in trouble every time Froch started putting the shots together on him and couldn't consistently compete toe to toe.

As for the stoppage I can understand where the ref was coming from, Froch landed a left 4 CLEAN straight rights (and Groves was also still hurt from the attack before). Groves legs dipped once and he did actually FALL into Howard after the 4th whilst Froch was already lining up more shots.

Don't think Froch got anywhere near the credit he deserved, ask any super middleweight to take the shot he did in the first and see if he gets up at all, let alone straight away. Two judges had Groves 1 round up so after that the fight would have been even... could anyone really see Groves really being able to sustain his work or even survive to the end where Froch is so renowned for coming into fights?!

All that said.. I hope Froch calls it a day in 2014, he's done a lot for British boxing but the amount of mistakes he was making and how slowly he started was very worrying.

LastGarrison

Just got to say hats off to both fighters.

It is not often a fight lives up to it's hype but this did from start to finish. An absolute belter.

CCFC88

Absolutely, last night and the Kessler fight would have restored a lot of peoples faith in paying for box office fights especially after the haye Harrison debacle.

Users who are viewing this thread