Freddy Eastwood Record (1 Viewer)

Knowledge

Freddy has started 37 games upfront. 17 goals from this is a very good return.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
So it is a fact that he only scores when played up front and playing wide he never gets a chance to ? :facepalm:check the stats again

kg82

Think his point is you've quoted how many games he's started up front but just how many goals he's scored overall. It would be fairer to find out how many goals he's scored in those 37 games when he's played up front.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
did he score only when he played up front you imply he did? Also when he played wide did he have opportunities to score in which case should have scored more? You cannot distort statistics to make it look like he scored 1 in every 2 games he didnt - a guy with a genuine eye for goal at this level would have scored more not blamed lack of goals on his position the managers or deficiencies in his abilities.

Still fail to see why so many people blame his poor record in total on his managers and do not think Eastwood let himself, his team and fans down by not being fit for purpose or by having the right attitude whilst being very well paid.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
From the club website .......since he has been here

Games 121
Shots 195
goals 18

For an attacking player (because he has never played as a defensive one) that is not exceptional stats playing up front or wide.

Oh and by the way per FA statistical analysis on average a goal is scored every 8 shots ..... Freddy is 1 in 11, a goal every 7 games

I wouldnt argue that he hasnt got skill but the guy under performed. Would have loved him to come good but he hasnt. AT is one of the more easy going managers around and even he has lost patience. It isnt about giving another chance, I reckon AT has given him more of those than he has let on, the desire to make the best of his own ability isnt for what ever reason within Freddy. We cannot carry people in the hope they may come good.

I have a question to all those who want to give him another chance
- would you give another player the same number of chances if they showed the same attitude ?

Just my opinion - I dont buy into Freddy worship but hey I might be making a big mistake and he will prove me wrong. Will happily confess to that if he does

Last edited:

skyblueinBaku

If he is overweight and unfit, he can't play in any position, let alone his favourite. A professional sportsman has no excuses if he lets his physical condition deteriorate like that. I can't believe that it is a spur of the moment decision to let him go. He was given a chance to improve his fitness and put himself in contention for a team place. Evidently, he didn't take it.

Kuklinski

Even if he did come good he'd be off at the end of the season anyway, on a free to a club willing to give him a chance due to his goal scoring prowess of the last few months of his City career. He'll get another club based on his goalscoring record at Southend once he leaves the City anyway.

OSB, I find myself always agreeing with you. Indeed, I signed up here from 606 largely due to the good sense you talk. And I understand your frustration with Freddy. But...

I generally object. He does get cut more slack than most here, as he did by the fans at Wolves. His scoring record isn't good enough. He goes missing at times (I think this gets somewhat overstated purely because all the fans know he is a capable footballer). I would, however, comment that the Freddy we have seen in the last few years is quite capable of adding more to our play than Platt or O'Donovan. On current evidence, ditto McDonald (and McSheffrey at the top of the diamond, probably). If he comes back and he doesn't hit those 'dizzy heights', it's true that no one will be shocked. He's had plenty of chance to prove himself as an attacking force. But we are down to the bare bones, he is already on the wage bill and I can't see many takers in for him, let alone many replacements lined up, and he still has some talent. If he is indeed out of contract at the end of the season, he will be released and written off for his time at CCFC. Rightly so. I don't think he is the worst or most frustrating player we have had in recent years, just as I don't think a match fit Freddy is a waste of a squad number. Beggars vs. choosers and all that.

pusbccfc

OSB, I find myself always agreeing with you. Indeed, I signed up here from 606 largely due to the good sense you talk. And I understand your frustration with Freddy. But...

I generally object. He does get cut more slack than most here, as he did by the fans at Wolves. His scoring record isn't good enough. He goes missing at times (I think this gets somewhat overstated purely because all the fans know he is a capable footballer). I would, however, comment that the Freddy we have seen in the last few years is quite capable of adding more to our play than Platt or O'Donovan. On current evidence, ditto McDonald (and McSheffrey at the top of the diamond, probably). If he comes back and he doesn't hit those 'dizzy heights', it's true that no one will be shocked. He's had plenty of chance to prove himself as an attacking force. But we are down to the bare bones, he is already on the wage bill and I can't see many takers in for him, let alone many replacements lined up, and he still has some talent. If he is indeed out of contract at the end of the season, he will be released and written off for his time at CCFC. Rightly so. I don't think he is the worst or most frustrating player we have had in recent years, just as I don't think a match fit Freddy is a waste of a squad number. Beggars vs. choosers and all that.

has he always had stick... No

He used to be loved by the fans especially younger ones, one of the fans favourites.
I think the reason he is not liked anymore is due to the fact he got given a lot of support from the fans, but puts next to no effort in at all!

I agree... I said he gets cut more slack than most, not that he gets more stick. We have seen that he can be a half decent footballer, which means a slight tendency to go missing is somewhat overstated, in my opinion.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Well luckily Divedive it isnt me making the decisions ..... clearly AT has had enough though.

Freddy is capable of out shining all our current strikers but his head is elsewhere and on that basis why or could AT trust him to do the job. I find him very frustrating and thats where my opinion stems from.

If he cant find another club then consider him assuming he can get fit (match fit isnt just physical though) - we are paying for him afterall. Just dont think it will happen. He doesnt seem to have the confidence, belief or desire to do it at this level - its a real waste

Also his demeanour isnt going to help the rest of the squad. I get the feeling there has been a lot more gone on behind the scenes. We cannot afford a dressing room problem.

Best he finds another club I think

Last edited:
I read this thread without having known anything about the Telegraph article and the current state of play with Freddy. I'll bite my tongue until furnished with the full story next time, although I blame a slow internet connection and brain at work.

I've read the article and am no longer playing Devil's advocate...

Freddy has not been anywhere near successful at Coventry City.
He is capable of a huge amount more than he has shown.
This echoes his time at Wolves.
His manager has washed his hands of someone who has not made himself match fit in three months at the beginning of a new season.
Happy not to train or contribute and to pick up a wage from a supportive Club in financial dire straits..? I think it is fair to say we think more of Freddy than he does of us.

I don't dislike him and still think terms like lazy and disinterested were slung a little too readily in seasons past. But I can't argue with the logic. The current situation is hugely bad form. No one will buy him and he will continue to pick up a wage from us. I just hope he has the wherewithal to try to put himself in the shop window or get himself ready for future challenges. Would a loan out make two loans in more likely..? I suspect I know the rather negative answer.

WillieStanley

Only player to score a hatrick in sky blue at the Ricoh. Shame. I just want to shake him. Maybe this is the wake up call he needs?

Given the fact there is so much of the season left to be played, the fact that Thorn is both castigating him for stating he has pretty much refused to get match fit but also stated that he is available for transfer, the fact his contract is up at the end of the season, I think this move is for one of two reasons...

Either to move Freddy on to another club or to give him a public kick up the arse in the hope he gives enough of a shit to want to stick it to the manager or to put himself in the shop window after a slating (whichever of the two options come first; not the end of the world either way). Let's be honest, as stated by skyblueindorset, if he is still too unfit to play football for our struggling team then there is no other option. Anything is preferable to the current situation, even Freddy off the wage bill with no replacement.

Disorganised1

If he can't play for non-medical reasons, they why should he receive full salary ?

ricohroar

The one game he did come on he looked more threatening than Juke and o Donovan. He may be unforgettably overweight but Micky Quinn did it for years a goal scorer gets in the right place at the right time. Eastwood will go in to better things given a good run up front (which he never got here) Juke and O donavan may be full of life and run a lot but neither will have the ability of Eastwood. I know most on here hate him and will never let it go that he was a flop. But Coleman, Morrison did alot to halt his City progress. I don't blame him for wanting out and I for one enjoyed watching him play and wish him all the best. 10 times what mc sheff is that so many
Hold in such high reguard.

blend

Eastwood won't go onto better things he's had his chance. Didn't mcsheff score more in 1 season playing from the left? Freddies always had the technique and touch, but talent wasted is useless.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I would have liked to see him given one more chance but it is obvious the relationship between player and manager has broken down.

Grendel

Freddy has started 37 games upfront. 17 goals from this is a very good return.

I find this hard to believe. He scored 18 goals for Coventry in 118 games. Are you saying only 1 goal scored when not a striker? That I doubt.

torchomatic

Stats are pretty poor if you include his total of 81 games. I didn't realise it was that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread