Franchise football FC (1 Viewer)

Now they have moved the club out of the City whats to stop them doing an MK dons ?

theferret

Err...the fact that it is not allowed, and the fact that Milton Keynes had a population of 250K and no football team.

I'm not sure what people mean when they talk about a franchise - where do you think they will take us? Northampton can just about sustain one league club as it is.

Yorkshire SB

If SISU want to minimise loses, or turnover a small profit, then a return to Coventry is absolutely paramount. This isn't the MLS.

Chipfat

Time will tell, but in my opinion this is a a first step in what they have planned, they have cut all ties and openly said they don't care in fans thoughts or feelings,, its business. Lets see where permission is granted for the new stadium!! before deciding if Franchise is a true sisu plan with the brand they now have and always called...

Wimbledon is over 60 miles from MK, Rushden for instance had a ground which is still empty and had fans at some league games of 4500. Who knows what the SISU master plan is ....I would be much more comfortable with say 2.5m in an escrow account which should they decide to take the team out of Coventry they stand to lose.

We have NO comittment of anything other than a desire to take our team out of the city.

Sba180

Err...the fact that it is not allowed, and the fact that Milton Keynes had a population of 250K and no football team.

I'm not sure what people mean when they talk about a franchise - where do you think they will take us? Northampton can just about sustain one league club as it is.
whereas wimbledon is only a borough of London and that's ok to move it 60 odd miles away as their supporters can follow them ire support another London side.

with respect, a ridiculous statement!

bigfatronssba

The league have now let it be know that football clubs can be moved wherever for £1m. The fact that they haven't stated what will happen if we don't come back shows that if sisu want to then they can go wherever with the club.

The football league must have got this idea from the trolley department at tesco.

theferret

whereas wimbledon is only a borough of London and that's ok to move it 60 odd miles away as their supporters can follow them ire support another London side.

with respect, a ridiculous statement!

With respect you have missed the point in spectacular fashion. The issue is not about the rights and wrongs of what happened there (the wrongs, because there were no rights), I am talking about the circumstances which led to that move, namely that there was no rule against what they did at the time (now there is), and secondly, the people behind it were incentivised by the prospect of growing that club by taking it to a large urban area with no established football team. You would only ever relocate a franchise if you thought you could grow it.

A few years ago CCFC averaged 22,000. Where could we possibly be relocated to where we could get even one quarter of that on a regular basis? This talk of an MK Dons situation is a red herring that has no basis. If they don't bring the club back it will just die and a new one will form in Coventry, because unlike MK, there is nowhere they can take it where they could build a fanbase to sustain it. And how would they ever get their money back then? It's just idle talk bordering on the silly if you ask me.

letsallsingtogether

The statement said a minimum of three years so what is the Maximum?

Sba180

ill apologise for missing your point but the way iy was worded, to me, said mk deserved a team and it was ok to move wimbledon

theferret

ill apologise for missing your point but the way iy was worded, to me, said mk deserved a team and it was ok to move wimbledon

No probs. I've done the same many times. What happened at Wimbledon was a disgrace, but there is no prospect of a similar thing happening here IMO - that's my point, because the circumstances are entirely different.

theferret

think of a number ad ten divide by 3 .... the other quote is the Coventry area. Rugby, Daventry maybe? This is only beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning? I think beginning of the end.

It has to be in the Coventry urban area (FL are clear on this) as defined here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_and_Bedworth_Urban_Area

So they'd get away with being just over the city boundary or in exhall, Bedworth or Binley Woods. The FL (by their own rules) could not sanction Rugby or Daventry.

bigfatronssba

<p>
It has to be in the Coventry urban area (FL are clear on this) as defined here:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_and_Bedworth_Urban_Area" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_and_Bedworth_Urban_Area</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>So they'd get away with being just over the city boundary or in exhall, Bedworth or Binley Woods. The FL (by their own rules) could not sanction Rugby or Daventry.

And so what will happen when they are refused planning permission?

The football league haven't stated what will happen if the club doesn't move back.

chiefdave

I can see it happening. According to the Northampton forum their owner is looking to sell once the redevelopment is done. Can see a merger happening. Now we've gone it makes it easy for SISU, they'll just claim they can't purchase a suitable site, can't get planning permission etc. Going on the evidence so far the FL haven't got the guts to stand up to them.

skybluericoh

It has to be in the Coventry urban area (FL are clear on this) as defined here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_and_Bedworth_Urban_Area

So they'd get away with being just over the city boundary or in exhall, Bedworth or Binley Woods. The FL (by their own rules) could not sanction Rugby or Daventry.

Just went on your link and it states rugby in the Urban area. CCC will not grant planning permission, Binley is a possibility with the Coventry stadium being sold to an un-named buyer, but they have a contract for Speedway, the Dogs and Stock cars for the next 3 years, they may be able to buy them out.

My view is that the FL are failing to do the right thing. They could have publicly said that the GS was with ltd and the successful would get the GS after vetting, this may have had a real alternative bid come, they could of said 'we will broker a deal' and mediate between the two, they could of even said no to ground share or said show us and make public your plans. They have even let the 'higher competition' rule be over turned, although I would not be surprised if someone overturns that at a later date. It would not be the 1st time someone has renegade on a stadium deal would it?

In short, do not put your trust in the FL and their rules, up to now they have not given any assurances that they are meaningful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread