Fracking (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just days after fracking was restarted minor earthquakes have been detected near the site. It was stopped originally because earthquakes were detected then allowed to restart because the earthquakes had stopped. So there is clear evidence that when fracking occurs the area has minor tremors and when they don't frack the tremors don't occur. Yet despite this undoubtedly the support for this in parliament will continue while truly sustainable sources like solar, wind and tidal will have funding removed because they're 'not as efficient' and thus prevent them from doing research to improve.

We have a reliance on other nations for energy, be it oil or gas from places like Saudi Arabia and Russia which means we can't/won't call them out on some truly shocking behaviour and human rights abuses, and instead of investing in clean energy decide it's far better to get China to build a nuclear plant - where could that possibly go wrong.......

I do despair at times - there's so many things that could be done with simple policy changes which won't happen because those in charge prefer the large amounts of money coming to them from fossil fuels and the only way that'll change is if the renewable sector give them more :mad:

chiefdave

It was stopped originally because earthquakes were detected then allowed to restart because the earthquakes had stopped.
I couldn't believe what I was hearing when they were debating this on the radio. The 'expert' was claiming that as there hadn't been any earthquakes in the last 7 years in was clearly safe to resume fracking. So you started fracking and there were earthquakes, stopped and there was no more earthquakes, start again and the earthquakes are back but insist the two aren't related.

Marty

Not to mention it pollutes the water table too. We need to go fully renewable as soon as possible before we irreversibly fuck the planet.

I personally think microgeneration is the future.

Covstu

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when they were debating this on the radio. The 'expert' was claiming that as there hadn't been any earthquakes in the last 7 years in was clearly safe to resume fracking. So you started fracking and there were earthquakes, stopped and there was no more earthquakes, start again and the earthquakes are back but insist the two aren't related.
Agree no more clues

Covstu

Just days after fracking was restarted minor earthquakes have been detected near the site. It was stopped originally because earthquakes were detected then allowed to restart because the earthquakes had stopped. So there is clear evidence that when fracking occurs the area has minor tremors and when they don't frack the tremors don't occur. Yet despite this undoubtedly the support for this in parliament will continue while truly sustainable sources like solar, wind and tidal will have funding removed because they're 'not as efficient' and thus prevent them from doing research to improve.

We have a reliance on other nations for energy, be it oil or gas from places like Saudi Arabia and Russia which means we can't/won't call them out on some truly shocking behaviour and human rights abuses, and instead of investing in clean energy decide it's far better to get China to build a nuclear plant - where could that possibly go wrong.......

I do despair at times - there's so many things that could be done with simple policy changes which won't happen because those in charge prefer the large amounts of money coming to them from fossil fuels and the only way that'll change is if the renewable sector give them more :mad:
I work for a construction company that was brought out by an energy company where the focus is around renewable energy. It’s great to visit these sites where there are wind farms, hydro plans etc although the irony is that it all drops into the same electric pool with coal, nuclear etc but at least you feel like you are doing your bit

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not to mention it pollutes the water table too. We need to go fully renewable as soon as possible before we irreversibly fuck the planet.

I personally think microgeneration is the future.

Yeah, I think in the future all homes will be built with solar panels for the roofing rather than tiles, and eventually on the walls too. Small cylindrical wind turbines on roofs and I'm wondering if at some point in the future a small hydroelectric waterwheel in downspouts may even be feasible. Every built up bit of land generating energy and large solar arrays etc aren't needed because the houses are the arrays. So more space to build houses. Then there's the power generating flooring that's being worked on at Warwick Uni too.

My last idea was 'upside down geothermal' whereby instead of taking the heat from the earth it takes it from the air using convection in some manner, thus helping with the global warming issue. Not clued up enough on the science though.

I was wondering as well, when we use steam powered turbines is the steam generated in a partial vacuum, as lower atmospheric pressure reduces the boiling point of water so you wouldn't need as much energy to produce the steam?

dancers lance

Another 0.8 tremor at 13:00 today, they need to put a stop to this shit now.

chiefdave

The British Geological Survey record all earthquakes in the UK, the vast majority aren't actually felt on the surface but are still recorded. The data for the last 100 days is on their website.

In the last 100 days before the fracking started in Blackpool there had been 47 earthquakes (0.53 per day) with none in Blackpool.

Since 18th October, when the fracking started, there has been 26 earthquakes (2.89 per day), 23 of them in Blackpool.

That's a 138% increase. Unbelievable that they're allowed to continue.

Marty

The British Geological Survey record all earthquakes in the UK, the vast majority aren't actually felt on the surface but are still recorded. The data for the last 100 days is on their website.

In the last 100 days before the fracking started in Blackpool there had been 47 earthquakes (0.53 per day) with none in Blackpool.

Since 18th October, when the fracking started, there has been 26 earthquakes (2.89 per day), 23 of them in Blackpool.

When there's big money at stake, they really don't give a fuck about the environment. If it's not safe to extract, then it must only come out as a very last resort. I wonder how many backhanders have been handed out for this to continue.

Terry Gibson's perm

When there's big money at stake, they really don't give a fuck about the environment. If it's not safe to extract, then it must only come out as a very last resort. I wonder how many backhanders have been handed out for this to continue.

Or how many of the politicians that decide have wives or girlfriends or both on the boards of the fracking companies

Ian1779

It's probably a bit of a stretch to expect any government official to have the intelligence to correlate the two things together.

fellatio_Martinez

I watched a documentary a few years ago called Gasland. It's about the effects of fracking on a rural area in America.

It's made by a guy with a camera and he just goes around the area filming residents and hearing what they have to say and documenting evidence.

It was truly horrible. To see what this reckless and destructive procedure creates. People getting cancer and other health issues, tremors, fresh water destroyed, tap water leaking pure gas, animals dying, rivers and lakes bubbling with gas. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

This was filmed before fracking was even mentioned in the UK and now it's here. The warnings completely ignored. Proof that our governments are evil and corrupt.

Liquid Gold

Does anybody actually think it's a good idea or is it just those with a chance to make a quick buck and fuck off?

fellatio_Martinez

Does anybody actually think it's a good idea or is it just those with a chance to make a quick buck and fuck off?

The only positives are that it's using our own resources instead of e.g Russian / Norwegian gas and therefore will make it cheaper (arguably) and it creates job.

The massive environmental impact far outweighs those positives but all the massive energy companies and the government see is billions of pounds underground and they want it no matter the cost.

Terry Gibson's perm

The only positives are that it's using our own resources instead of e.g Russian / Norwegian gas and therefore will make it cheaper (arguably) and it creates job.

The massive environmental impact far outweighs those positives but all the massive energy companies and the government see is billions of pounds underground and they want it no matter the cost.

Unless it was underground in London and then they would come up with a thousand reasons why not

WhaleOilBeefHooked

We have a reliance on other nations for energy, be it oil or gas from places like Saudi Arabia and Russia which means we can't/won't call them out on some truly shocking behaviour and human rights abuses

And yet, when we do fracking and therefore become more self-reliant, this is somehow an issue to you?

I am 100% in agreement that we need to invest in more renewable energy, and would say that the UK have already gone some way into doing that. These things take time etc.

However, there is an environmental impact as a result of Nuclear, Gas and Oil, also - however for some reason this is overlooked at the expense of the faux-outrage of fracking. You can't pick and choose what to be outraged by - fracking causes water pollution, which is the same as the others. Gas and Oil starts wars and leads to corruption and bribery. But fracking is bad? If you're going to take the moral highground as a result of fracking, you should be consistent and take the highground for every other finite energy source.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't think you're reading what I wrote correctly. I'm scathing of ALL the finite resources, especially nuclear. Just because I made the point on our reliance on other fuels from abroad doesn't mean I like them - I don't and I look forward to the day when we don't use them at all, whether from home or abroad. But I also know that we as a country aren't quite ready for full transition and sadly will need to carry on using fossil fuels etc for a little while yet so in the meantime we might as well use the ones the infrastructure already exists for.I don't see why this country is putting money into a relatively new destructive practice at the expense of investment into renewable, other than people greasing their palms.

I spend a paragraph talking abo
ut renewable and then another post further down on it too.

This thread is more about frustration than a practice that has been shown to have numerous negative effects on a wide range of issues before we got it still got given the go-ahead. At least with things like oil and gas the environmental cost weren't particular well-known. Nuclear is a different matter as a number of issues with it were well known but the nuclear PR dept did a great job of pimping it to the average joe.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

I don't think you're reading what I wrote correctly. I'm scathing of ALL the finite resources, especially nuclear. Just because I made the point on our reliance on other fuels from abroad doesn't mean I like them - I don't and I look forward to the day when we don't use them at all, whether from home or abroad. But I also know that we as a country aren't quite ready for full transition and sadly will need to carry on using fossil fuels etc for a little while yet so in the meantime we might as well use the ones the infrastructure already exists for.I don't see why this country is putting money into a relatively new destructive practice at the expense of investment into renewable, other than people greasing their palms.

I spend a paragraph talking abo
ut renewable and then another post further down on it too.

This thread is more about frustration than a practice that has been shown to have numerous negative effects on a wide range of issues before we got it still got given the go-ahead. At least with things like oil and gas the environmental cost weren't particular well-known. Nuclear is a different matter as a number of issues with it were well known but the nuclear PR dept did a great job of pimping it to the average joe.

Apologies SBD - I quoting your post and only my first sentence was directed at you. The rest of the post was a general rant. Agree with your points though!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Gazolba

Nuclear is not a sustainable long-term solution since it uses up a finite resource
The best sustainable long-term solution is to reduce the number of humans on Earth drastically and so decrease the energy needs drastically.
The planet then needs to be maintained at a zero net gain in population i.e. give up on the idea of economies relying on 'growth'.
Of course, this will never happen, so in the long term we are doomed as a species.

Users who are viewing this thread