For the old folks. (1 Viewer)

Macca

On the old CET forum there used to be a sticky called the "Jimmy Hill Years". This was for the older chaps of 60 plus to chat about the 1960's players, games and memories. Very interesting for those who weren't there.

Well since moving to this excellent forum I have moved to the category of old git due to the much younger membership and I think there are a few others. Any chance of a sticky for those of us to discuss 80's 90's memories. A title of nostalgia would probably cover it. Makes me feel old when posters talk about 2001 being something from the dark ages :)

Macca

I guess my interest would be from 1980's early 90's more than anything.#

"The Survival years" :p

Moff

Well then Macca, do you remember the 4-0 win against Liverpool with Nicky Platnauer heading in the first on the floor about one foot from the line, and then Gibsons hat trick.

What about the tuesday night game in about 1982/3 when we beat Sunderland 6-1 at home. I think Garry thompson got 2, Gerry Francis (he of the mullett fame) got 1 and I think Hatelely may also have scored but cant remember the others.

Also loved the four kit season, home and away Talbot kits, and home and away TV kit with no advertsining on, as when i were a nip of a lad they werent allowed to have tV advertsing on their shirts.

Oh how times have changed! and i am only 30 + 10, damn I mean 40.

Macca

Yep remember that game. That was a good season, just started going up that season on my own. thought I was a right gangster!

A 5-0 home win against Sheff Weds, won away at Old Trafford, Speedie winning an away match at Norwich with a sublime lob........oh yes and Sutton Utd :(

Think we may have won 3-0 away at Newcastle as well. Real ding dong 4-3 home defeat against Boro, hat tricks for Speedie and Bernie Slaven.

Macca

Well then Macca, do you remember the 4-0 win against Liverpool with Nicky Platnauer heading in the first on the floor about one foot from the line, and then Gibsons hat trick.

What about the tuesday night game in about 1982/3 when we beat Sunderland 6-1 at home. I think Garry thompson got 2, Gerry Francis (he of the mullett fame) got 1 and I think Hatelely may also have scored but cant remember the others.

Also loved the four kit season, home and away Talbot kits, and home and away TV kit with no advertsining on, as when i were a nip of a lad they werent allowed to have tV advertsing on their shirts.

Oh how times have changed! and i am only 30 + 10, damn I mean 40.

The Liverpool game was awesome, highlights are on You tube. Gibbo curled it past Grobbelar for the 4th goal. Have to say looking back at the first couple of goals and Grobblelars "ahem" history you do have to wonder. People on the floodlights for a better view.

Jeez god knows what we will be like when we are actually old!

ajsccfc

Wow, I'm pretty sure I remember the 5-0 win over Wednesday; I definitely recall an evening game and singing 'we want six' so I assume it was the same.

sky_blue_up_north

I was a child of the golden era with Jimmy Hill, I thought it would always be like that.. how wrong was I

Macca

Wow, I'm pretty sure I remember the 5-0 win over Wednesday; I definitely recall an evening game and singing 'we want six' so I assume it was the same.

It was a Saturday afternoon game I'm sure because it was a week before the fateful Sutton cup game. It was another Speedie hat trick as well I think

Moff

Speedies lob at Norwich was brilliant.

I seem to rememebr a brilliant chip he did against Wimbledon in a 2-1 win at home, and another curling lob against Southampton, when he beat City fan and old boy Tim Flowers in goal.

Talking of Tim flowers does anyone remember him being sent off, when not even on the pitch, as sub goally when we played Blackburn at Highfield road.

I seem to remember it was the season when Dion won the golden boot, and we got a penalty which he scored from, but everytime the linesman who gave the penalty ran past Flowers, he called him a cheat. In the end he got bored of it told the ref and Tim was sent off.

Moff

It was a Saturday afternoon game I'm sure because it was a week before the fateful Sutton cup game. It was another Speedie hat trick as well I think

Its bizarre how it happens, but Sutton beat us, Norwich beat Sutton 8-0 in the next round, then we went to Norwich and won 2-1 thanks to Speedies brilliant lob.

ajsccfc

A Saturday game would probably still fit as I remember it being dark, which would make sense if it's around new year.

Macca

Speedie scored one of the best headers I have seen from a Bennett cross in that game, created amazing power from some distance. I actualy have that yellow shirt in my cupboard! bit pert mind

ajsccfc

My mission remains to get my hands on one of the hummel home shirts we had around that time, the jazzy design famously worn by Denmark. Best kit ever, if a little dangerous for epileptics.

6 Generations

I was at the 6-1 Sunderland game. For some reason i watched in The Main Stand. In front of us were a group of Sunderland fans who were very friendly and jovial. They started singing 'We want 7', after our 6th goal!!

A Wednesday night game that comes to mind was a 1-1 with Derby, when a heavily bandaged Colin Stein, rose like a salmon to score a bullet header, which was definitely of The Speedie standard. He was some centre forward.

PUSB

egastap

Macca....you've taken on the mantle of the 'old gits'? I see from your profile you're 37.....I've got underwear older than that. I've also got a son who's that age!

Macca

Macca....you've taken on the mantle of the 'old gits'? I see from your profile you're 37.....I've got underwear older than that. I've also got a son who's that age!

Aye but this is quite a young forum as far as I can see and while that is great it does make me feel old when some people weren't born until after 87! Some of these young'uns would have loved the old craic at HR standing on the Kop and seeing some real entertainment (good or bad). I hope that their glory days aren't too long coming

TheRoyalScam

Aye but this is quite a young forum as far as I can see and while that is great it does make me feel old when some people weren't born until after 87! Some of these young'uns would have loved the old craic at HR standing on the Kop and seeing some real entertainment (good or bad). I hope that their glory days aren't too long coming

As Scam Jnr keeps on reminding me: 'Dad, you saw the City win promotion, play in Europe, win the FA Cup, and beat teams like Man Utd, Liverpool, and Chelsea'. That's why I admire the optimism of our younger fans, especially when you consider the globalization of football and the proliferation of glory-hunting plastic Mancs/Chelski/Arse/Liverpool 'fans'. When we finally do have some success it will be all the sweeter - just like the FA Cup win!:p

smileycov

Facebook User
My first game was in 74!!! 0 - 0 at home to Leeds, David Cross missed a sitter ha-ha

Does anyone remember beating Sunderland 5 - 0 in league cup replay, Steve Livingstone got 4!! Then Pearce cheated us out of the semi at forest, should have been sent off for scything down gallagher, and then they cheated on his winning free kick, pushing the wall away. Mind you we did have to relie on that ledgend Kevin Drinkell in the second league :whistle:god he was shite!! (and i say that thinking of Tommy English!)

Macca

Steve Hodge pushed the wall over, blatant. Do you remember Drinkells goal straight after coming on against the Villa circa 1990. Live on ITV Sunday afternoon. Minutes later David Smith got the second

smileycov

Facebook User
My god yes, wasn't that our first home win over em? won 2 - 1!! the sense of relief was unbelievable

Then we went and smashed em 4 - 1 at Vile park georgie b, and of course the 1 -0 in the cup. 3 of my favourite games i have seen!!

Macca

think our first home win for sometime was about a year before. 2-1 Regis and Houchen? Andy Gray for them. Not tikkabow son Andy Gray

egastap

Now that makes me feel REALLY old Macca. I too hope the youngsters get a chance to see another "Jimmy Hill Revival'. God knows it's been pretty depressing for the last 25 years or so hasn't it?

egastap

I can remember playing with Ron Farmer, Brian Nicholas and Stan Smith back in the old days. I remember we had a 16 year old Kirk Stephens being nurtured through the Youth team at Massey's, then he was signed by Luton Town (if my memory serves me correct) when they were quite a big team. I remember putting together a Youth team vs City Old Boys. You should have seen the faces of Ron Farmer and George Curtis when I went into their dressing room with the kit I had for them that day. It was an old 1940's strip of blue and white halves with long baggy shorts that ended up just below their knees. I was just kidding though and gave them the then 'modern' shorts which just about covered your ass. Now THOSE were the days weren't they?

Covstu

my first game was Everton at home in 1985, we lost 3-1 but i remember it being a night game and they stung us with quick goals at the end (when they were a quality side).

brinner

my dad swears he took me to a game about 1982 a 0-0 draw at home v Villa i was only 5 and cant remember a thing about it! sounds like a shit game so no wonder!

1st game i remember proply was a 1-1 draw at home v everton in 1986 pickering scored for us and ian marshall got a late equalizer.

best game i ever saw was later that season 4-3 at home v spurs decenber 27th 1986 i still remember the date! was quality they wore our away kit, a right ding dong of a game regis scored that last minute header playing a 1 2 with the cross bar i was sat on me dads shoulders at the top corner of the west terrace and he launched me about 10 feet when we scored that! good job we was stood where we were at the time or the roof would have took me head off!

BurbageSkyBlues

Brinner, that spurs game was quality, and a preview for the cup final a few months later. Both excellent entertaining games.

My first game was a 0-0 home draw with WBA. Dreadfull game, my gramp took me with my brother when were about nine and ten years old., must have been about 1967/8....need to check .my family were big rugby fans, so needless to say I did not get taken up again, had to wait until I could go on my own when I was about twelve or thirteen.

I used to sneak off to away matches, on the coaches all over the country, and tell my parents I was going to a school mates house for the day! Lol , great times '

blueflint

too old to remember myself but remember willie humphreys arthur lightning bill myerscough etc :claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
1988? I'd was 9 years into my punishment buy then! What was your first match?

Blimey! I go back a bit! My first match was against Huddersfield in the old 2nd Division during the 1964-65 season. I was 10 years old. We lost 3-2. I remember sitting on the white wall that went along the old Spion Kop. When a goal was scored, hats were thrown on the air and rattles were shaken! What an atmosphere! I was also at the famous match against Wolves when we humped them 3-1. We were CHAMPIONS! Official figures quote the attendance as 51k + but I know for a fact that there were far more there! People were climbing the floodlights, the gates, just about anything to see this game! Me? I was in my usual spot on the wall! Mind you, I finished up sitting on the edge of the pitch with loads of other kids! (very lax in those days!)

smileycov

Facebook User
Is this where the Wolves rivalry comes from? What was the Jimmy Hill era like then, did it really make a difference to the city it self?

Users who are viewing this thread