For all you teachers out there. (1 Viewer)

Stevearcade

You're totally right man and we do measure value added in things these days too, which accounts for what they're predicted when entering school and what they come out with. For example, predicted a C at GCSE and they achieve a B = +1 on the value added. This in my opinion is much better. But then the tests they sit on entry to ascertain the predicted grades are woefully out of balance. I have super bright kids predicted Cs and Bs instead of As and A* (which of course makes our job as far as value added figures a doddle) but some less bright kids come out expecting to get As and A* when they'll struggle to get a C. And our professionalism is called into question when this wrongly predicted A* kid gets a C.

Like I was saying before, the ethos of education needs to change over to one that focusses on the broader picture and less on end results. This change needs to come from the top down and also from people outside the profession. Parents and public are just as guilty of expecting certain grades and not considering the bigger picture. It's become entrenched in our culture and it's a matter that no one has the balls to tackle politically, which is a shame.

And yes, I totally agree with you, there is no worth is paying crap teachers good money. But why not address poor teaching with sacking (which is very hard to do actually, and perhaps people should have a little more power to boot crap teachers out) and/or support and training as opposed to simply paying more money to those with a good track record and assuming those doing a duff job will raise their game to get more money. It's not that black and white.

Joy Division

What are peoples views on the NUT rejecting plans to make teacher pay, partly performance based. Once again, in my eyes it sums up the unions, not everyone is the same, people who work their arse off and do a good job should be rewarded for it, those that dont, shouldnt ! Appreciate its difficult to measure performance (theres enough targets already Im guessing). But surely this is a good thing ?! Its almost as if the NUT/certain unions want to reject anything the government offers. Jokers !

Joy Division - fair play to your girlfriend. in particular the fact that she is working in a school in a deprived area (I can imagine that is not easy !) Whats her view on the change from state to academy ? Has it changed students performance ?

Its challenging for sure, but although there is so much work involved she loves her job. This is only the second year of the Academy status so there are no clear signs of change in student performance yet. The real difference is the funding streams and who governs the school, time will tell I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread