Football, second string to Rugby again? (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

A completely stupid and irrational decision.

Nick

Administrator
It is ok, the olympics is on:

The Olympics offer a chance for people to try a sport and get some exercise, rather than just sit and watch the sport on the screen.

It is almost as if nobody plays football?

Philosorapter

Coventry: City of Culture. As long as you pay for it.

Nick

Administrator
I think people are reluctant just in case it takes off like in France.
Only takes a few idiots.
Why take the risk ?

As for second string to Rugby, it always will be in this situation due to the different cultures in respect of how fans treat each other.

We have never had a demand for it, we have never been asked to do it. The FA has never put in any money or funding to direct activities around it.

giphy.gif

Surely somewhere like that is perfect for families to go? They can't go and watch in pubs with kids, but could get a decent atmosphere there.

SkyBlueRuffian

Football and city centre big screens don't mix well I'm afraid. They had one in Liverpool and there was shit loads of agro. Rugby is probably a safer bet trouble wise.

Captain Dart

I think people are reluctant just in case it takes off like in France.
Only takes a few idiots.
Why take the risk ?

As for second string to Rugby, it always will be in this situation due to the different cultures in respect of how fans treat each other.

Yeah, I've seen some guys in black tee-shirts with Russian sounding accents wandering round town.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
There are other open area big screens showing it around the UK aren't there?

In fairness, they would need to get rid of all of the beggars and empty bottles of strong cider from by the screen before anybody went to watch

chiefdave

They've put one up in the botanical gardens in Brum. Can't see they would put it on somewhere like that if they thought there would be trouble.

Skyblueweeman

It's just the crap that 'there's no demand for it'.

Absolute crap. Football is watched more than Rugby, Tennis and the Olympics. If it's a security thing then fine, say that.

Don't come out with crap that there's no demand. It's as if the council think people are thick.

Nick

Administrator
It's just the crap that 'there's no demand for it'.

Absolute crap. Football is watched more than Rugby, Tennis and the Olympics. If it's a security thing then fine, say that.

Don't come out with crap that there's no demand. It's as if the council think people are thick.

I think that's the thing isn't it.

If they say "Due to the trouble over the weekend for security we cant do it in such a public place" then it makes more sense doesn't it? Just to sort of say "ah nobody is fussed, the FA aren't giving us money to do it so we won't do it".

oldfiver

In fairness, they would need to get rid of all of the beggars and empty bottles of strong cider from by the screen before anybody went to watch

Ann Lucas still job hunting?

lifeskyblue

I bet in the unlikely event of one of the home nations reaching the final the council would be backtracking quickly.
Football is the number one sport in Coventry and the country whether it is participants or spectators. Yes if trouble is expected then there is a case to not show or adequately police. But to suggest there is no demand is ludicrous and a distortion of the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Yes, mostly because nobody is really that bothered
Compare the coverage when the rugby world cup was on, which was actually in this country, to the coverage of the Euro's. Shows you have far behind football rugby really is. As are all sports really, you could say the same about cricket, tennis or anything else. Only thing I can think of that comes close is the Olympics and then only when it was in London.

Covstu

I didn't even realise that they had Rugby on in town, well the three games that the 'hosts' played. Its sad that there is this stance, I very much doubt there will be a rush of people watching friggin Tennis will they?
They could have easily put some stalls etc around that area to make this family friendly and there wouldn't have been an issue. I personally wouldn't have went but its clear that we want to remove football from this city!!

Grendel

Don't know if this has been posted on here but in case there is any doubt;

ccfcway

watched the NI game in the fan village in Belfast with 10,000 others. it was a great atmosphere, right up until the game started then NI ruined it. A wasted opportunity for any council not to embrace this

Captain Dart

letsallsingtogether

Who the fuck wants to stand in the rain to Watch England lose good decision.
as for families Watching thats even worse with little kids running around and their parents sitting there taking no notice.

Users who are viewing this thread