Football Manager (2 Viewers)

Mr Panda

Just started playing FM20 having played FM12 for years as I was so comfortable with the save I had on there.

Anyone have any advice, tips around the training schedules? It's like learning a new game coming from FM12!

Have started right at the bottom with Leamington who are semi-pro. So pretty limited when it comes to scheduling.

superskyblue

Just started playing FM20 having played FM12 for years as I was so comfortable with the save I had on there.

Anyone have any advice, tips around the training schedules? It's like learning a new game coming from FM12!

Have started right at the bottom with Leamington who are semi-pro. So pretty limited when it comes to scheduling.
Training is a step too far for me. I delegate!

vow

Thats a bit of a leap!

Played FM06 for years, but then worked my way through to FM15 only recently to be honest and I've found that the most smooth way, I do have FM17 & 18 to play (got them on a v cheap deal), so I have them to look forward to.

Like yourself I do start lower league, so the edition doesn't overly matter tbf, perhaps try buying FM15 or 16 cheaply and try from there? I do understand the want to play the latest edition though too!

SlowerThanPlatt

For a lower league save I would concentrate on current ability rather than potential ability - your players won’t improve much because of the standard/training facilities

Mr Panda

For a lower league save I would concentrate on current ability rather than potential ability - your players won’t improve much because of the standard/training facilities

Yeah good point. I think I'll concentrate on the training element when my Leamington team are professional. With game's every week theyre only actually available twice a week at best with all the non contracted players and semi pro's.

Expected to just avoid relegation but after almost 10 games just have them below the playoffs.

They're wildly inconsistent from game to game so far. Looking forward to some contracts expiring so I can get some new blood in already!

djr8369

Not ashamed to say the recent versions of FM have been too complex for me, so I;ve given up. I've got less time now anyway, and there's so much to process, I figure I may as well get paid for anything that requires effort!
I went a few years without playing FM and the leap was huge. I mainly play the touch version on Nintendo switch. It’s simpler and easier to pick up for a short time and can play it while the other half is watching trash TV.

I have just started dabbling with last years version on PC which I got through the Xbox game pass for PC. £3.99 a month and £1 for the first month so cheap way to try games out without splashing out.

Mr Panda

Just finished my first season as Leamington. Somehow I've completely overlooked the fact I can't search players by name of spend hours searching through the entire FM database for a decent player to sign.

My scouts have picked up a couple of hundred, of which I've found one player I want to sign.

Any tips or anything I'm missing?

I suddenly feel how Tony Mowbray must have felt. I hope the Leam fans are ready for the Vanarama's answer to Andre Wright :(

superskyblue

Just finished my first season as Leamington. Somehow I've completely overlooked the fact I can't search players by name of spend hours searching through the entire FM database for a decent player to sign.

My scouts have picked up a couple of hundred, of which I've found one player I want to sign.

I suddenly feel how Tony Mowbray must have felt. I hope the Leam fans are ready for the Vanarama's answer to Andre Wright :(

A recent tip I've discovered is if you've got a player you like in your current squad that you wish you could replicate, or if there's a player out there you tried to sign but couldn't you are able to search for players with similar attributes. If you click on the player you'd like to replicate and then click 'comparison' --> 'find similar player' you'll get a list of similar players.

I imagine that's how we found Hamer when looking to replace Walsh!

Brighton Sky Blue

For extra cash as a non league club you can organise pre season friendly tournaments against top teams that’ll bring in quite a bit each summer.

ajsccfc

I got whichever is the newest Civ for nothing off there too a while back. Well worth a weekly check in

CovInEssex

I got whichever is the newest Civ for nothing off there too a while back. Well worth a weekly check in

Yep, saw that but didn't take the plunge. I figured they add games with additional DLC and micro-transactions (CIV & GTA) but FM2020 has blew that theory out the water.

shmmeee

Is the switch version worthwhile? Was thinking about picking it up when the next release happens. It looks like the mobile version though and I found that a bit shallow.

stay_up_skyblues

Is the switch version worthwhile? Was thinking about picking it up when the next release happens. It looks like the mobile version though and I found that a bit shallow.

The mobile version is crap but the Touch version for IPad (£20) is fantastic. I would imagine the Nintendo version will be closer to the latter.

AiS86

It's the full game but with the match engine of touch. Having played it on every platform it's personally my least preferred. The touch screen's too small to do anything with and using the controllers is too fiddly. Tablet touch version is next best after the main game for me, nice streamlined version

shmmeee

It's the full game but with the match engine of touch. Having played it on every platform it's personally my least preferred. The touch screen's too small to do anything with and using the controllers is too fiddly. Tablet touch version is next best after the main game for me, nice streamlined version

That’s fine. I can steal my daughters iPad and palm her off with the Switch. Cheers for the advice!

SlowerThanPlatt

Finished playing FM20 now. Waiting for FM21 beta which should be early November

SI really need a competitor in the market as they get away with the bare minimum every year

AiS86

Finished playing FM20 now. Waiting for FM21 beta which should be early November

SI really need a competitor in the market as they get away with the bare minimum every year
I previously worked at Sega on FM. So, so many good ideas suggested from staff and the community get accepted, and then reach Miles Jacobson and get delayed until the next years iteration over and over. There was only one person acting as the gatekeeper for UI issues which is essentially 80% of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Dev team is way smaller than it could be to make siginificant changes each year

Brighton Sky Blue

I previously worked at Sega on FM. So, so many good ideas suggested from staff and the community get accepted, and then reach Miles Jacobson and get delayed until the next years iteration over and over. There was only one person acting as the gatekeeper for UI issues which is essentially 80% of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Dev team is way smaller than it could be to make siginificant changes each year

The big recurring issues in the match engine never seem to get addressed. 1v 1s have been famously bad for years, centre backs routinely hit screamers etc. If that aspect of the game is flawed the rest is redundant

AiS86

The big recurring issues in the match engine never seem to get addressed. 1v 1s have been famously bad for years, centre backs routinely hit screamers etc. If that aspect of the game is flawed the rest is redundant
Seems to be the area that gets the most complaints. For large parts of the testing phases we weren't even allowed to log match engine issues

Brighton Sky Blue

Seems to be the area that gets the most complaints. For large parts of the testing phases we weren't even allowed to log match engine issues

The one in FM20 is as bad as I can remember. Got world class strikers missing open goals nearly all the time

David O'Day

In FM20 I have a save where I am Cov and I played the 3 4 2 1 system we play now and played vertical tika taka and suddenlt my wingbacks score about 30 goals a year.

Brighton Sky Blue

In FM20 I have a save where I am Cov and I played the 3 4 2 1 system we play now and played vertical tika taka and suddenlt my wingbacks score about 30 goals a year.

We have been the dominant club for a decade, but I still need about 25-30 shots for a goal

Users who are viewing this thread