Football disasters (1 Viewer)

Sky Blues

Someone talking about Stoke on the Cov board got me looking at Stoke's wiki page and I came across a mention of the Burnden Park disaster. It was a long time before I was born and I don't recall hearing about this before. It sounds terrible. Not only were 33 killed and hundreds injured, but "The dead and injured were taken from the stand, with those who had perished lain along the touchline and covered in coats. A little under half an hour after leaving the pitch, the game was restarted, with a new sawdust lined touchline separating the players from the bodies."

Here's a link to the wiki page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnden_Park_disaster

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yeah....sounds terrible, but you've gotta put it in context of the times....In 1946, life was still seen as pretty cheap.....

....And for the game ot go ahead after 33 people had died.....not that shocking really is it?

... Heysel, 39 dead, more than 600 injured,....and then they played the European cup final anyway...live on TV while Italian fans continued to battle the police in the collapsed stadium while the bodies were still be removed.....now thats far more shocking in my book!

Otis

Fook me this thread threw me.. :facepalm:

When I saw the title I immediately thought of Kevin Kyle.

Wrong sort of disaster entirely. :(

Sky Blues

Yeah....sounds terrible, but you've gotta put it in context of the times....In 1946, life was still seen as pretty cheap.....

....And for the game ot go ahead after 33 people had died.....not that shocking really is it?

... Heysel, 39 dead, more than 600 injured,....and then they played the European cup final anyway...live on TV while Italian fans continued to battle the police in the collapsed stadium while the bodies were still be removed.....now thats far more shocking in my book!

That was shocking too. I guess my surprise regarding the Burnden Park tragedy was in part down to having not heard of it before when I had heard of Ibrox and, because they happened in my life time, Heysel, Bradford and Hillsborough. I didn't think it was right that I had not heard of it, so I thought I should put a piece on here in case there were some others who hadn't heard of it either.

Users who are viewing this thread