Following on (1 Viewer)

shepardo01

Let our opposition in the Championship waste their money on old names we've all heard of, but with no resale value. I'd much rather we stick with bringing in younger, hungrier players most of us won't yet have heard of. I do however appreciate it doesn't make this kind of thread much fun, where we can all massage our ego's playing at Football Manager.
Spot on Legia!
We can't afford a model other than this!
I hope people will come to terms with this.
Let's hope that recruitment come up with more gems like Rose, Dabo etc...
Trust the process and see what happens!
Wasn't too shabby last year when we had (rumoured) around only the 8th best budget in the league.
Paying silly wages/breaking a wage structure to chance on average players who have been around the block won't help the club.

shmmeee

Spot on Legia!
We can't afford a model other than this!
I hope people will come to terms with this.
Let's hope that recruitment come up with more gems like Rose, Dabo etc...
Trust the process and see what happens!
Wasn't too shabby last year when we had (rumoured) around only the 8th best budget in the league.
Paying silly wages/breaking a wage structure to chance on average players who have been around the block won't help the club.

The other side of this of course is that there’s potentially a wage bill floor in the Championship that below it you don’t stand a chance. L1 Id imagine is a lot tighter, no Prem parachute payments (lol Sunderland excepted), fewer crazy owners pumping in millions. So the difference between say 8th and 1st probably isn’t as big as the difference between 24th and 21st in the Championship. Could be wrong but that’s how it seems to me.

I hope we do maintain our strategy, but I’m not sure you could attract the players you’d need to stay up on the same wage bill as last year, so some increase in spending is going to be needed. Boddy was talking about four times the amount IIRC.

shepardo01

The other side of this of course is that there’s potentially a wage bill floor in the Championship that below it you don’t stand a chance. L1 Id imagine is a lot tighter, no Prem parachute payments (lol Sunderland excepted), fewer crazy owners pumping in millions. So the difference between say 8th and 1st probably isn’t as big as the difference between 24th and 21st in the Championship. Could be wrong but that’s how it seems to me.

I hope we do maintain our strategy, but I’m not sure you could attract the players you’d need to stay up on the same wage bill as last year, so some increase in spending is going to be needed. Boddy was talking about four times the amount IIRC.
If we double our wage bill, according to something I saw re average wage from last years Champ, we are still looking at roughly the lowest wage bill. Think Rotherhams was 8-11k pw... they were lowest.
Think that would be roughly where we'd sit if we quadrupled our average wage....
Food for thought.

shmmeee

If we double our wage bill, according to something I saw re average wage from last years Champ, we are still looking at roughly the lowest wage bill. Think Rotherhams was 8-11k pw... they were lowest.
Think that would be roughly where we'd sit if we quadrupled our average wage....
Food for thought.

I think I saw around £5m/year for us last season, around £20m/year would put us lower mid table in the Championship I think but there’s a massive drop off to the bottom three or four on £7-15m.

I can’t see is splurging, I’m confident the finances are being looked after. Just hope there’s a sweet spot in the budget we can do enough to stay up.

Fergusons_Beard

Sam Hutchinson-injury prone barely trains or plays.
Forresterri-flouncy Italian midget who’d destabilise our entire squad.
Morgan Fox-defo could do a job-only released because Monk playing 3 at the back.
Sam Winnal-lost his way & just not mobile enough for us.
Gested-you have to be fucking joking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paxman II

I think some of you are over inflating players wages in the championship. Add to that clubs will change their wage structures.
I certainly do not want released players that have already had a career, gone down that crappy road before, and would not be motivated enough coming to us. Plus do not under estimate our squad.
We have already strengthend well and I truly believe they will rise to the task. Yes one or two shrewd buys are yet to be added, and that won't be any of these has beens like Huddleston and co.
We need a good striker to fight to be first choice with Godden, Biamou looks a good bet as back up and may surprise a few as many will in our squad. I'd be very surprised if Dabo did not perform as well again. It's also about our style of play which MR's has developed his squad around so I doubt we will return to a 4-4-2 any time soon.

Marty

I think we'll surprise a few next year. We defo need to improve some areas in the squad. LWB, AMx2, striker and I'd look to bring in a long term replacement for Kelly, hes a key player for us, but he's coming up to 31.

You can throw money at a squad all day long and get nowhere, look at Sunderland for that, few key buys, keep our style of play and the feel good factor and I think we'll be knocking on the door of the top 10.

shepardo01

I think I saw around £5m/year for us last season, around £20m/year would put us lower mid table in the Championship I think but there’s a massive drop off to the bottom three or four on £7-15m.

I can’t see is splurging, I’m confident the finances are being looked after. Just hope there’s a sweet spot in the budget we can do enough to stay up.
5m wage bill sounds about right. May even be ever so slightly lower.
Our average wage would have been around 2k p/w bearing in mind the young age of the squad.
These were the figures I was on about. (See below)
Survival would be a good achievement next year!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200707-201242_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200707-201242_Gallery.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200707_201201.jpg
    20200707_201201.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 4

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I see Bristol City are releasing Harvey Smith. Wonder if he'll follow on from his Show-jumping namesake and ride his horse around the pitch, sticking his fingers up to the opposition?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I see Bristol City are releasing Harvey Smith. Wonder if he'll follow on from his Show-jumping namesake and ride his horse around the pitch, sticking his fingers up to the opposition?

Council estate, person does that gesture out of a souped up Mitsubishi Colt - lout and ne'er-do-well. Should be taught a bit of discipline and respect
Family estate, person does that gesture for a colt from his family stable - not a problem - just letting off a bit of steam.

Users who are viewing this thread