Fleetwood Player Ratings (1 Viewer)

Pete in Portugal

Did anyone else not think Sterling looked very tired?
I appreciate he's come from under 23s football to playing pretty much every week in a proper competitive league so it's hardly surprising.
When I saw Grimmer coming on I thought it was going to be for him, surprised that it wasn't.

Sterling hasn't played up to his usual standard for a few games. Whether that's because he's tired or something else, I really don't know. Williams was struggling with an injury or possibly cramp, so I wasn't surprised to see Grimmer replace him. I'd agree though, that if Williams had been OK to continue, I'd have considered taking Sterling off instead.

I think we have to acknowledge that the Fleetwood's attackers gave our defence a hard time, with their aggressive high pressing. Both our full-backs struggled to contain them. On another day, with better finishing, they could have easily beaten us. They are not a bad side at all.

clint van damme

Sterling hasn't played up to his usual standard for a few games. Whether that's because he's tired or something else, I really don't know. Williams was struggling with an injury or possibly cramp, so I wasn't surprised to see Grimmer replace him. I'd agree though, that if Williams had been OK to continue, I'd have considered taking Sterling off instead.

I think we have to acknowledge that the Fleetwood's attackers gave our defence a hard time, with their aggressive high pressing. Both our full-backs struggled to contain them. On another day, with better finishing, they could have easily beaten us. They are not a bad side at all.

they were decent going forward though a bit one dimensional.
They work hard to get men in good positions in the wide areas and we definitely struggled with it. Brown seemed to tighten things up down the left when he came on.

Nick

Administrator
Burge turned it around completely, started off with the early save and the ball which he came out and caught. Think the big cheer he got for both and when his name was read out would have helped too! Good kick in the leadup to the first goal too.

Williams had a great debut, Davies was shaky in the first half but then grew into it.

Sterling and Thomas both looked knackered after 25 minutes as if they were running in quicksand.

Mason was targetted again, although he battles they should probably have had a couple of goals down out left. Brown to come in next game.

Hiwula was quiet apart from his goal but that's all that counts, worked hard and that first touch that took the defender out of the game in the leadup to his goal was a work of art (I dont think he meant it)

Meyler although you can tell he still has it in his head, he looks and runs like he is injured and his body can't do what his brain wants him to. Maybe it's match fitness? Hard to say

Shipley worked hard, felt a bit sorry for him when he did the backpass as he stood apologising to every player and the crowd.

Bayliss also nearly played us into trouble a couple of times, was taken out of the game with the booking.

Bakayoko needs to train with Bayliss more to judge the ball, Bayliss always look lucky with how the ball bobbles for him whereas Bakayoko is the opposite. Good closing down for his goal though. Still don't think he is a lone striker.

Esoterica

Meyler although you can tell he still has it in his head, he looks and runs like he is injured and his body can't do what his brain wants him to. Maybe it's match fitness? Hard to say
Meyler's a weird one - early in the 2nd half he sprinted down the line, caught and then dispossessed Ched Evans. So he clearly can run still. I'm hoping not match fit and just playing within himself to ensure he lasts 90 mins.

BigadamL

i bet its been a while since Meyler played 90 minutes, bet he was hanging out his arse after the game

Nick

Administrator
Meyler's a weird one - early in the 2nd half he sprinted down the line, caught and then dispossessed Ched Evans. So he clearly can run still. I'm hoping not match fit and just playing within himself to ensure he lasts 90 mins.

He runs with a really bad limp so I am not sure if he is in pain or his leg just physically is fused like it after injury.

When he got going he picked up pace, did it with a forward run as well.

steve82

Burge 8 - great recovery performance
Mason 5 - targeted and under pressure
Williams 8 - great debut performance
Davies 7 - getting back to where he was
Sterling 6 - did the job, looked lethargic
Meyler 7 - steady, composed if not exciting.
Bayliss 5- another Febreze performance
Hiwula 7 - much improved, great goal
Shipley 6 - nothing exciting, did a job.
Thomas 6 - worked and tried, looks tired.
Bakayoko 7 - worked hard, unfortunate at times.

Subs
Wakefield 5 - didn’t get going
Brown 6 - solid sub performance
Grimmer 5 -

A gritty performance against tricky opponents to get a win, if not a complete performance a job was done. Great comeback performance from Burge and the new lads coming in stepped up to the job. Davies and Williams were very good for the majority, Meyler did enough for me deputising for Kelly. Difficult night for mason. Bayliss and Sterling, this weeks disappointing players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stupot07

Firstly it was a great win, and the lads all really grafted and you can't really complain with 3 points. However, the performance lacked quality and I'm surprised with so many high mark's being awarded.

Burge 8 - a great response and performance from Friday night's debacle.

Sterling 5 - going through a dip in form, lost madden on a number of occasions and unable to assert himself in the final third

Williams 8 MOTM - fantastic debut against an experienced and quality centre forward

Davies 7 - iffy first half, but made some great blocks towards the end of the match

Mason 5 - really struggled against their right winger offered little going forward

Meyler 5 - looks well off the pace, but did show some experience in seeing out the game

Bayliss 5 - wasnt able to exert himself on the game, and was having to cover extra ground due to Meylers lack of mobility

Shipley 6 - mixed bag, nearly gave madden a goal with a stupid backpass showed willingness and a couple of bits of quality when he set up bakayoko centre of goal and should have scored

Thomas 5.5 - like sterling Thomas is going through a dip in form. Worked tirelessly off the ball but didn't manage to influence it with the ball

Hiwula 7 - quality goal, and looked our brightest attacker after Robin's changed the shape and went 2 up front.

Bakayoko 6 - I'm giving him an extra point for his goal, he worked hard but should have had a hatrick. He really lacks quality, especially when he has to make more than 1 touch.

Subs

Brown 7 - did well and provided some steel when he came on.

Wakefield 5 - struggled to get into the game

Grimmer n/a - not on long enough

Robins 8 - did what he could given the injuries. Made the switch to 442 around the half an hour mark and we looked much better.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

larry_david

A few on here have mentioned how Fleetwood targeted Mason. Brown came on and looked very good. Question is, why did they target Mason and is that a significant issue for us going forward?

Esoterica

A few on here have mentioned how Fleetwood targeted Mason. Brown came on and looked very good. Question is, why did they target Mason and is that a significant issue for us going forward?
It's definitely our weaker side (and that's not all down to Mason himself). He gets almost no support from Hiwula which will have been evident when Fleetwood watched a couple of our games. Mason also gets up the pitch quite regularly - so the chance is there to either double up on him or just to utilise the space left behind when he gets forward. Even if Plan A didn't work, it dragged a CM or CB over pulling us out of shape and leaving gaps elsewhere.

Mason also gives away some soft, clumsy fouls (he likes to put two hands in the back when he closes a player down) which may have interested a team like Fleetwood who seemed pretty good in dead ball situations. Also the shortest defender in the team which makes him an obvious target.

As for Brown, he is much better in the air and in his defensive positioning but generally less adventurous going forwards and sometimes more hesitant in his passing. Fleetwood were chasing the game when Brown came on though, there were plenty of gaps, some hopeful long balls to get his head on etc. Like Davies did in the 2nd half, it's easy to stand out as a defender in those circumstances.

With away trips to 5 of the top 7 coming up. it has to be a big temptation for MR to go with Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread