First idols (1 Viewer)

mrfr

My mum recently sent me a terribly shot video of me at my nursery in ~1989 where I was singing about Greg Downes and waving my little sky blue flag around but that’s almost definitely my dads influence rather than an early contender for idol.

A few years later but still very much a child I made an absolute twat of myself by asking Peter Ndlovu for his signature in a shoe shop in the precinct only to quickly discover that it was not Peter Ndlovu.

I always played in goal for my school football team and so Oggy was probably my biggest hero. I had the opportunity to work at the club for a few months just before SISU arrived and meeting Oggy in person several times never stopped being almost unbearably exciting.

Oh, and Andy Ducros, obviously.

Garlana86

Not an idol so much but thought i'd share a nice memory, my late Dad used to do tv aerial work in Coventry before the days of streaming and when sky cards were a thing, he took me on a job as a young boy maybe about 8-10 years old for a bit of pocket money, i was sat in living room of Marcus Hall. I didnt say anything the whole time and as we went back to my dads work van i remember feeling a bit sad, then my dad shouted back in; "can we get an autograph for my son" - Marcus proceeded to provide a signed photo which i put in a frame...likely still have it at my mums, needless to say i was very happy.

I also had a special soft spot for John Salako, - around the same age, i screamed his name from the stands in a high pitched pre-pubescent voice, i got a load of unhappy looks from our surrounding fans, but Solako turned and gave me a thumbs up and a smile, made my day.

slowpoke

As a kid Terry Bly, big signing banged the goals in but replaced out of the blue by George Hudson, hat-trick on his debut and replaced Bly as my hero immediately.

Hertsccfc

First was Tommy Hutchison. Whenever I played football I tried, largely unsuccessfully, to play like him.

After a while I think it became Ian Wallace, and my football position changed from left wing to striker.

Cyrille Regis was the player I was most excited about us signing. Although he took a while to really get going for us, I think only Peter Ndlovu was more exciting to watch on his day.

skybluecb

My first idol was David Speedie, in 1988, we brought him for £750,000k
courtesey of our 87 FA cup winners money. He scored with some cheeky chips, His goal away at QPR was sublime. I cried the day he left for Liverpool

Last edited:

cstring82

In no particular order but faves have been Oggy, Nilsson, Dublin, Huckerby, Keane from when I first started going.

My lads are Gyok, Hamer and O’Hare.

steve101

Ones that I remember - Danny Thomas, Terry Gibson, Trevor Peake, Peter Ndluvo, Kevin Gallagher and probably my all-time fav Cyrille Regis.

Jarvo87

As a kid it was: Ian Wallace; Steve Hunt; Danny Thomas.
Always enjoyed players who got me "off my seat": Keane (albeit a short spell with us he's probably my all time favourite player in a city shirt), Ndlovu and Huckerby

JulianDarbyFTW

David Speedie was my first idol. He lived near me, and when he joined Liverpool he passed me on his bicycle and I gave him absolute dogs abuse. Feel bad about that to this day.

LastGarrison

Gally was my first. Cried my eyes out when he went to Blackburn. Then Nuddy. First one since relegation is Hamer though.
Pretty much the same for me.

Gallacher was the first one as a kid I would cut out his pictures and blue tac them to the wall from the CET/Pink and then Nuddy was next.

After that idol is a strong word but loved Dublin and Nilsson. I honestly think Nilsson was probably the first world class player I saw play for us. Keane was probably the only other.

Then we had cult heroes in Chippo, Hadji, Keane, Konjic etc.

Cov kid 55

Willie Carr first and foremost, closely followed by Ian Gibson, Ronnie Rees, Ernie Machin, Bobby Gould etc etc. Come to think of it, just about all of that 66/67 team. To do with how old I was at the time, I guess, and that fantastic period.

Speedies_Chips

My first idol was David Speedie, in 1988, we brought him for £750,000k
courtesey of our 87 FA cup winners money. He scored with some cheeky chips, His goal away at QPR was sublime. I cried the day he left for Liverpool
That goal at QPR is hardly mentioned and I'm not sure there is footage of it, but I was there and it was brilliant. I think Seaman was in goal. If I remember correctly it was an early kick off on Boxing Day and hence not many City fans there.

Blind-Faith

Favourites in no particular order other than what I remember

Partridge
Davenport
McSheffrey
Westwood ( my favourite ever player )
Hamer

thekidfromstrettoncamp

George Curtis for me.When you seen him on the pitch he looked like your outhouse and his middle names should have been "You Won't Pass Me."
Idols are usually strikers and there I have to agree slowpoke George Hudson his debut game the ball played up to his feet he dummied the defender and ran on and scored.Center forwards just didn't do that then.

shmmeee

Pretty much the same for me.

Gallacher was the first one as a kid I would cut out his pictures and blue tac them to the wall from the CET/Pink and then Nuddy was next.

After that idol is a strong word but loved Dublin and Nilsson. I honestly think Nilsson was probably the first world class player I saw play for us. Keane was probably the only other.

Then we had cult heroes in Chippo, Hadji, Keane, Konjic etc.

Yeah could have mentioned Dublin and Nilsson (who is my intellectual best player ever rather than my emotional best player ever)

Hobo

Willie Carr, Ernie Hunt before going regularly. Then, Dennis Mortimer, Terry Yorath, Mick Ferguson, Ian Wallace and of course Big Jim Holton

Users who are viewing this thread