First idols (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

With all the talk of the inevitable departures of Gus and Vik it got me thinking back to my childhood and my first hero. I remember crying my eyes out, aged 9, when Terry Gibson joined Manchester United in 1986. Felt similar devastation when Speedie, Gallacher and Dublin left in later years. There's always a new hero around the corner. I just hope the next ones have a fraction of the ability of our Swede and Brazilian.

On a similar note my youngest (12) is utterly obsessed with Fanky. She missed out on the chance to walk out with him when she was mascot in January as another child wanted to. She sobbed her heart out at the final whistle on Saturday, as many of the tears were for him as they were for her. This was intensified when she stumbled across the racist abuse online he received from a minority of neanderthals. She's already written him a letter to 'cheer him up' and I haven't been brave enough yet to broach the subject that he'll likely be released this week.

It's been a tough couple of days....

torchomatic

Gary Gillespie for me. Devastated.

Theonlywayisskyblue

Tommy Hutch and then Ian Wallace for me.

My Dad talked for years about losing Dennis Mortimer. When my brother and I and friends went on Sky Soccer Saturday as fans of the week, Dennis was one of the guests and when he joined us for a drink after the show I asked him if he would speak with my Dad. They spoke on the phone for about 10 minutes - no doubt Dad tearing him off a strip for moving to the Villa. He took it well anyway - lovely bloke.

Sky Blue Pete

Can’t think of one that I’ve idolised
Thinking back to being a teenager and it was probably early to mid 80’s as a kid.
Loved peake and oggy but weren’t really idols
Ndlovu definitely

bawtryneal

Idolised is the wrong word ( was different back in my younger day ) but Tommy Hutch, Wille Carr and Dennis Mortimer were big favourites.
Obvioulsy never played for us but I had a pair of white Alan Ball football boots as a kid.

Last edited:

Alkhen

I caught the tail end of Ndlovu but Huckerby & Dublin were my frist real heartbreakers. Then Keane leaving was a real kick in the nads but that was mainly due to the promise he had shown.

rob9872

Speedie was my first. Babb, Ndlovu, Dublin, Keane, Kirkland, David Thompson, Kelly, Hamer.
Kirkland seems an odd one in that list. Your list so not for me to say it's wrong, just stands out as strange (unless of course you're related or friends or something I guess).

Users who are viewing this thread