First ever Sky Blues game? (1 Viewer)

Somerset Sky Blue

A couple of people mentioned (in a different thread, that their first game was due to a school ticket offer, well, I can say my first experience was at Highfield Road as a youngster with my dad, watching Cov beat WBA 3-0 in September 1985.
Can't say I remember much of the game - I think we sat in the Sky Blue Stand and bought sweets in a little shop just near the King Richard Street entrance. I remember being excited to go to the Sky Blue Shop -which was just a counter, with a very limited range of goods, I guess it would look pretty shabby now!
We used to park near Elliots (car accessories, Elliots, car accessories.. etc, as heard on Mercia!) and occasionally, we stopped for chips on one of the side streets near Elliots.
I still have the programme from the game - though I have clearly scribbled on it!
Anyone else remember their first game / season - though clearly, it gives an idea of age for some of us!

tanchahal

A couple of people mentioned (in a different thread, that their first game was due to a school ticket offer, well, I can say my first experience was at Highfield Road as a youngster with my dad, watching Cov beat WBA 3-0 in September 1985.
Can't say I remember much of the game - I think we sat in the Sky Blue Stand and bought sweets in a little shop just near the King Richard Street entrance. I remember being excited to go to the Sky Blue Shop -which was just a counter, with a very limited range of goods, I guess it would look pretty shabby now!
We used to park near Elliots (car accessories, Elliots, car accessories.. etc, as heard on Mercia!) and occasionally, we stopped for chips on one of the side streets near Elliots.
I still have the programme from the game - though I have clearly scribbled on it!
Anyone else remember their first game / season - though clearly, it gives an idea of age for some of us!

Can't remember too much of mine but we beat millwall 4-0 at highfield road, went with my dad probably about 8 or 9 years ago.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Coventry 2-1 Crystal Palace

Peter Reids first game in charge, Konjic and Doyle scored for us I think

Those were the days :)

TheHellion

We played Southampton at Highfield Road in the 94/95 season. I was 5 or 6, I knew nothing about the club, the players, or even football in general! I'm pretty sure Dublin scored our only goal from the spot in that game....anyway:

I know at some point, City scored. The whole ground seemed to jump up and celebrate! It was pure elation. Of course, when Southampton went and scored, I'd got it into my rather young and inexperienced head that we had to cheer whenever the ball went in the back of the net. So I jumped up, cheered, celebrated, and was greeted by many thousands of angry looking city fans, who must have assumed I was a Saints fan in the wrong end! My dad's face has never been so red! He quickly "corrected" me, that I was only to cheer when the team playing in Sky Blue scored, and not the opposition.

To make it worse, Saints absolutely hammered us off the park that day, I forget the result, (I think it was 3-1 saints) but I do know I have never cheered for the wrong team at a football game again! :facepalm:

The Penguin

First game was a 1-0 home loss to Leicester City, November 1999. I'd flown into England twelve hours beforehand! Sat in the East Stand, watched the West End bounce and sing for 90 minutes, and decided any other games I would watch would be from there.

The atmosphere was also an eyeopener, being in Australia the best we get at our sporting events is hearty repetitions of "Aussie Aussie Aussie...Oi Oi Oi", which though is an accurate representation of the limit of the average Australian's intelligence and creativity is nonetheless quite boring. :)

skybluelee

Oct 84 - hr v sheff weds, i was 8. Won 1-0, terry gibson penalty. Oggy saved one at the other end. Sat in the main stand. Dad bought me my first kit from the club shop before the game, the two tone blue stripe umbro one. Dont think i took it off for two days. Even slept in it. Completely hooked from that day on. Cheers for the nearly 30 years of misery that have followed dad you bastard.

Sisu-infidels

Mine as at hr against derby in the fa cup I think 3rd round in 1998! Went with my step dad,uncle and cousins! I was a late comer following he skyblues! I was about 14 I think! I remember the game well! We won 2-0 Dublin scored both goals in the first half! I loved hr and the walk up from town! The 4-3 win against man city after relegation was prob one of my fav games :)

clerkin61

I can't remember much about my first match, except I was 16 (It was about 1977), a couple of friends and I were taken to Highfield Road on dates,!!! We were gutted, we were told we were going on a special day out, and we all hated football (we're girls you see).... And here we are nearly 40 years later and I'm still a fan - don't get up to see them as often as I'd like, but they're still my team. Oh and yes, we won and no, I didn't stay with the guy!

ampthill_sba

I had to look mine up too...taken by my dad and his mate (I think a member of the VP club or equivalent at the time) as we sat in the main stand and met players after the game.

It was 1984 I was 13 and Cov beat Ipswich 1-0 with Oggy, Peake, Gynn in the team plus Micky Adams and Maartin Jol.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-ipswich-town-10-november-1984-87317/

I had been on a school trip to Wembley before though to tour the stadium and saw Spurs v Wolves in the afternoon at The Lane (in 1982)...

torchomatic

SABBU

Can,t remember my first game it was sometime in 1958. The first game that sticks in my
mind was xmas day 1959 v wrexham we won 5-3 with Ken Satchwell scoring 4. Ken also scored two in the boxing day return.
An easy headline for the Telegraph Happy sixmas for Satchwell. Met Ken at the last legends day great to talk to him about the old days.:p

Astute

I had to look mine up too...taken by my dad and his mate (I think a member of the VP club or equivalent at the time) as we sat in the main stand and met players after the game.

It was 1984 I was 13 and Cov beat Ipswich 1-0 with Oggy, Peake, Gynn in the team plus Micky Adams and Maartin Jol.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-ipswich-town-10-november-1984-87317/

I had been on a school trip to Wembley before though to tour the stadium and saw Spurs v Wolves in the afternoon at The Lane (in 1982)...

You watched Wolves before Cov? :pointlaugh:

My dad took me to Highfield Road to see us play Leicester in 1995, i was 8 years old then and We won 4-2. I was hooked since that day.

woody11462

Can't say if it was definitely the first one I watched but it's the first one remember. Beating Oxford 3-0 at Highfield Road in the 86/87 season. Might be wrong but got it in my head John Aldridge played for Oxford. Must have been bout 7/8 years old.

Up North Sky Blue

My first game was also against WBA, but boxing day 1982 and we lost 2-0. Don't recall much of the game, but remember Nicky Platneur taking a corner!

LastGarrison

Cov v Liverpool mid 80's.

My brother was a Liverpool fan, before he became a Villa fan, before finally seeing sense and becoming a Cov fan. Football's not really his thing.

Back to the game. Sat up in the West Stand. We lost. I loved it. Fate sealed.

Marty

It was against Chelsea in the late 80's early 90's, must have been no older then 5, I remember building sandcastles at the side of the pitch with cups.

First proper game was against Man City, we won 2-1, Dion with a double. I think it was a night game as I remember it being dark on the way home. Been a ST holder ever since.:p

wingy

Just can't remember who it was and those i could ask are long departed ,reckon it was 65 ,i was 7 , a massive night game with big crowd,absolutely awstruck,walking down Swan Lane afterwards,to the pub or car with my old fella and Uncle looking up at them talking about the game and BANG!! Head straight into a lampost,more focused these days and hav'nt done it since even after a few Sherberts:facepalm:

100 miles from Cov.

21/11/1987 Charlton away when they were at selhurst park. 2-2 ft. I remember Greg Downs scoring a pen. First home game was 9/12/89. Sat in the upper tier of the west end. Paul Merson with a last minute winner. It's mostly been draws and defeats since then over the years!

nicksig

Hmm. I think it was in 92. A 2-2 draw at home to QPR. I think the scorers were Gallacher 2 and Penrice (QPR) 2. From memory I think we blew a 2 nil lead

Users who are viewing this thread