First city game (1 Viewer)

andy86

9th April 1994 vs Tottenham. Won 1-0 thanks to a Ndlovu penalty.

Front row of the M&B stand lower tier.

RegTheDonk

Fairly sure it was 1972 v Ipswitch, 'cause we had a penalty and I recall my dad saying "bone head" Blockley when we scored. Don't remember much other than how steep the stands were and I was worried about falling forwards and getting hurt. Took my grandson to his first game a few years ago at the Ricoh Vs Walsall. He actually thought the same which was eerie.

RegTheDonk

Torquay FA Cup '88. Stood on an upturned crate at the front of the kop so I could see over the wall.

Won 2-0. Killer pen and Regis I think
Was in the West Stand for that one, could hear that bloody bell from Torquay in the away end all though the game, irritating!

Williescar

West Ham 24/8/68 lost 2-1
First away game Wolves 1-1 30/10/71,Willie Carr scored for us.There was a pitch invasion before kick off

EalingSB

Coventry v recently-crowned European Cup Winners’ Cup and Division One champions Everton on a beautiful day in 1985. Aged 11, I can clearly remember the blue Hummel tracksuit I wore that day (later covered in grease after climbing the East Stand fence) and also being totally in awe of the occasion. Hope my daughter (12) has similar memories from next Saturday at Wembley.

SkyBlueTam

My first game was:
Coventry City v Newcastle United 1-0 (HT 0-0) Ernie Hunt (Pen) 80'
Saturday 22/11/1969 Attendance 31,825

I was 11 at the time, my sister took me up with her Sunderland supporting boyfriend, they didn't hate us in those days.

oscillatewildly

Bit of a (current) theme to my first game - Last game of 1974/75 season - At home to Middlesbrough. 8 years old going on 9!
It would be my only time witnessing Dennis Mortimer in Sky Blue.
Graeme Souness, Bobby Murdoch, Dave Armstrong, Dave Mills and Terry Cooper for them amongst others.
We lost 2-0.

TomRad85

I always remember my first games being very close together at home vs Swindon and Ipswich. Google research tells me the Swindon game was just before so guess that was my first, in 93/94. Looking at the results for the season it also seems bottom of the league Swindon took 4 points from us which is fairly typical

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

croatskyblue

I always remember my first games being very close together at home vs Swindon and Ipswich. Google research tells me the Swindon game was just before so guess that was my first, in 93/94. Looking at the results for the season it also seems bottom of the league Swindon took 4 points from us which is fairly typical

That Swindon game, remember that- Chris Marsden was in his pomp and we went 1-0 up and dominated, then conceded a last minute equaliser- the age old story.

another random fact about that match.. Leicester had a game called off the same day and a coach load of their fans came to our game instead and it got a bit nasty

don’t remember anything about Ipswich though, was it 2-2?

Happy_Martian

1980 Nov against Brum, as a 10 year old, sat in the sky blue stand, beat them 2.1 ..Hooked for life after that.

Wow, that was my first game too. Taken up to Highfield Rd by a friend of my Mum who then scavenged a couple of comps from George Curtis. Sat in the Main Stand, it was an amazing atmosphere for a 12 yr old to comprehend.

Second game was the Charity Shield :p

And strangely, third was Millwall at home in 1988. But that third game hooked me enough that I got a season ticket and watched Cov home and away for the next 15 years. Side note: I actually came out of Highfield Rd richer than I went in due to all the coins Millwall tossed at us :)

TomRad85

That Swindon game, remember that- Chris Marsden was in his pomp and we went 1-0 up and dominated, then conceded a last minute equaliser- the age old story.

another random fact about that match.. Leicester had a game called off the same day and a coach load of their fans came to our game instead and it got a bit nasty

don’t remember anything about Ipswich though, was it 2-2?
We won the Ipswich game 1-0, I was young so I remember very little about these games but I do remember the scores. Google tells me Flynn scored.

shepardo01

1985 apparently - had to stand on a milk crate in the kop. Don't remember much - Dad lifted me in the air when we scored and I cried!....
Don't know opponent or score sadly....

The Great Eastern

August or September 1966 versus Bury. We won 3-0 with the goals being 2 from Bobby Gould and the other was from John Tudor.
First actual professional game was in the early 60s, Norwich v Vile at Carrow Rd. We were on holiday in the area at the time. Think it was 0-0 but remember nothing of the game whatsoever.

eastwoodsdustman

My Uncle took me in for my 4th birthday in 1975 and it was against Birmingham . No idea what the score was. I still have the scarf that he bought me on the day too!

CovBrummie94

First game I remember was a 0-0 draw with Chelsea where Hartson smashed Desailly into the advertising boards and he went off with a dislocated shoulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calista

15th Oct 1988
Cov vs Millwall
0-0

I remember my step-dad's father asking me if I was going to get a programme. Not know what one was, I was thinking, 'what, a TV programme?'!

I'll never forget the walk up Thackall Street and up the stairs of the North Stand (can't remember if it had a different name?) and seeing the pitch and inside the stadium.

Hooked ever since.
To expand on my further answer about the Sky Blue Stand (from the history of Highfield Road by Jim Brown )
'The Sky Blue era under Derrick Robins and Jimmy Hill sparked a massive ground improvement programme, ably carried out by Robins’ company, Banbury Buildings. The rebirth began in 1963 with the replacement of the Thackhall Street stand, using innovative prefabricated units and a distinctive vaulted roof. The new ‘Sky Blue Stand’, which cost £120,000, was fully operational for the start of 1964-65 season as City re-entered Division 2 after a twelve-year gap. '

You could buy quite a lot for £120k in those days, especially from the Chairman's own company!

Captain_Slackbladder

What was the first city game you saw?

I was 9 years old sat in Family stand at Highfield Road. 3rd December 1983, City beat Liverpool 4 - 0, Terry Gibson scored a hat trick. I was hooked have loved supporting City ever since, through the good and the very bad times. Once a sky blue always a sky blue. 💙
We beat Wimbledon 1-0 in 1986, Dave Bennett scored. I have zero recollection of the match, I spent most of my time watching the scoreboard above the East Terrace. Fast forward 5 years and I was on the East Terrace and hurt against the fence as a 12 year old as Peter Ndlovu scored vs Villa. I had a season ticket in numerous years, was there in the West Terrace when Huckerby scored in 98 (possibly the best ever). That was raw, there was no social media, man United fans in the west Terrace quite rightly got smacked for being there, arrogant fucks..

That said, this is big, the last two trips don't compare. The world audience has never heard "twist and shout" or "lets all sing together" on this level.

ccfcanon

April 1981 v Southampton with my dad and missed Gary Thompsons goal as it was straight after half-time and my dad needed a pee 😂 first away game Man Utd fa cup 4th round 87 and it got me hooked so went to all the fa cup away games that season can’t wait for Saturday though PUSB

Johhny Blue

Same here.
Went alone on the bus from Canley to The Meda as a nine year old kid (would you let your nine old do that today?) and followed a group of grown ups to HR as I had no idea where the ground was.
Stood on the West End terrace at the front behind the goal, blokes stinking of fags beer and farts, cheering singing and swearing with the smell of Ellimans rub on the players legs and the slapping sound as tackles came in and I just thought WOW and I've been hooked ever since.💙
I went to our final game of the first season in 1st division on my own in May ‘68 at Southampton. I remember being terrified of getting off at the wrong stop. I was 11

usskyblue

I always consider my first proper game being at HR in 1977 - Coventry City 2 -2 Bristol City.

There were a couple of rows of seats right at the front of the Main Stand, at pitch level. You sat behind a little white wall. Remember being so close you could smell the turf and looking up in awe at players like Hutchison, Powell, Yorath, Ferguson and Wallace.

Fucking hooked from that moment on.. and will be until it’s my time to say goodbye.

Otis

I always consider my first proper game being at HR in 1977 - Coventry City 2 -2 Bristol City.

There were a couple of rows of seats right at the front of the Main Stand, at pitch level. You sat behind a little white wall. Remember being so close you could smell the turf and looking up in awe at players like Hutchison, Powell, Yorath, Ferguson and Wallace.

Fucking hooked from that moment on.. and will be until it’s my time to say goodbye.
How much longer will that be? 🤞

Kneeza

Mine was the first match of the 64/65 season I think. I know we won, and I think there were over 30k there. It seemed like millions!
Dad took me and Granddad (it was the first game he'd been to for many years, not living in Cov and only having a pushbike! Sadly it was his last as he died a few months later) and we stood in front of the new Sky Blue stand right at the Kop end. I don't recall seeing much but do recall saying 'that's two points in the bag' as I'd heard someone else say it. 😂

ovduk78

Coventry 1 Liverpool 2, 17/4/73. I was on the Kop with my brother and a friend & it was an evening game and all I really remember is that Alderson scored for us from outside the box at the West End & Neil Ramsbottom was in goal.

jamboy

My uncle had a box, and the family got together at weekends for games, but I don't remember watching any of the games. The first game I remember watching was on 27 January 1981 versus West Ham. Garry Thompson got us tickets for the game. Hooked after that night.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
City v Huddersfield. 3rd October 1964. I was 11. City got beaten 2-3. Gutted my first game wasn't a win. If recall, Harold Wilson also sat in the stands. He was a Huddersfield fan!

Users who are viewing this thread