First chunk in Robins impenetrable armour? (1 Viewer)

NortonSkyBlue

Thank you for asking.
its a fairly long answer. We found a way to beat Forest and Reading, Blackpool could have had a few, Posh was a straightforward win but they were comfortable in the first half. We were better in the defeat to Barnsley.
yes we beat Fulham with something to spare, Boro was a war of attrition and Cardiff had the best chance, Millwall were there for the taking but we couldn’t, QPR was nip and tuck until late on and Luton was a car crash. Blackburn were gifted goals, reverting to last seasons errors, Preston were simply better than us throughout on the night and Swansea did what they did to us at the Liberty stadium last season. Shithousery and know how which we couldnt counter.
I cant deny the fact despite all of this we are 4th but in my opinion the fault lines have reappeared and our trajectory will be realigned to mid table.
For the record I don’t rate Hamer unlike most on here, O’Hare is running on empty, you can predict that most errors will lead to a goal against even if the error is 60 yards from goal and we have many opportunities to clear the danger. Moore was protected in many games but lately has been exposed due to the players in front of him and finally the game management is just not same as when Kelly and James were together.
Despite all of that it’s a results game and my view is swimming against the tide at the moment. We don’t have the resources to sustain a challenge IMO but I do hope I am wrong, very wrong.

CCFC54321

Thank you for asking.
its a fairly long answer. We found a way to beat Forest and Reading, Blackpool could have had a few, Posh was a straightforward win but they were comfortable in the first half. We were better in the defeat to Barnsley.
yes we beat Fulham with something to spare, Boro was a war of attrition and Cardiff had the best chance, Millwall were there for the taking but we couldn’t, QPR was nip and tuck until late on and Luton was a car crash. Blackburn were gifted goals, reverting to last seasons errors, Preston were simply better than us throughout on the night and Swansea did what they did to us at the Liberty stadium last season. Shithousery and know how which we couldnt counter.
I cant deny the fact despite all of this we are 4th but in my opinion the fault lines have reappeared and our trajectory will be realigned to mid table.
For the record I don’t rate Hamer unlike most on here, O’Hare is running on empty, you can predict that most errors will lead to a goal against even if the error is 60 yards from goal and we have many opportunities to clear the danger. Moore was protected in many games but lately has been exposed due to the players in front of him and finally the game management is just not same as when Kelly and James were together.
Despite all of that it’s a results game and my view is swimming against the tide at the moment. We don’t have the resources to sustain a challenge IMO but I do hope I am wrong, very wrong.
Be careful mate on here if you talk sense you’ll get berated. Some don’t like any home truths!

cc84cov

Thank you for asking.
Fairly long ? You’ve wrote a book 😝

Grendel

Thank you for asking.

Drivel fell asleep after the first sentence

Grendel

You had that written before I responded. Predictable from our class idiot.
You post like an idiot, but you don't fool me. You really are an idiot.

Says the person who defends the Saudi regime. Why don’t you bore off to Newcastle with a tea towel on your head?

NortonSkyBlue

Says the person who defends the Saudi regime. Why don’t you bore off to Newcastle with a tea towel on your head?
Why would I support Newcastle? Absolutely nothing to do with me. Tea towel on my head? Is that a racial stereotype? Its getting like Yorkshire Cricket on here.

Hullinho87

I just don’t agree on the out performing but when you look at some teams around us

Luton
Huddersfield
Blackpool
Millwall

Id have at the start of the season expected to finish ahead of most of those teams

What is your logic/reasons of why you would have expected that?

Sky Blue Pete

I don’t think it’s the first time there’s been a chink and each time he’s found an answer. Adi was a big answer and so was this new coach Denis this year. Most managers only have one way and when that doesn’t work they get sacked or get to a level and find it doesn’t work and then get sacked.
Some have got this wrong about Robins when he finds an answer and changes things. Sometimes by injury or seeming luck and other times getting nowhere near the credit he deserves from many on here but certainly from the football media

He certainly is too loyal to certain players and systems. He’s very level headed and has and always will be cautious which winds up a lot of us.

Can he find a solution to the goals drying up and no goals coming from midfield?

One things for certain he gives players time to grow and believe if he likes them and if he doesn’t he doesn’t persevere too long before moving on

He knows he is trusted to progress the club and I’m pretty sure the target this year was to stay up and consolidate not flirt with the play offs and his job is completely secure which has its own benefits and problems

I trust him to find the answers with his team around him. Fundamentally gyokeres and Ohare level has dropped and that reduces our potency. He needs to find a way of shoring up the midfield whilst still getting players forward in attack.

It’s a big decision to replace Dabo or Hyam or Ohare but if he does and gets it right the squad will be better for it

cc84cov

I don’t think it’s the first time there’s been a chink and each time he’s found an answer. Adi was a big answer and so was this new coach Denis this year. Most managers only have one way and when that doesn’t work they get sacked or get to a level and find it doesn’t work and then get sacked.
Some have got this wrong about Robins when he finds an answer and changes things. Sometimes by injury or seeming luck and other times getting nowhere near the credit he deserves from many on here but certainly from the football media

He certainly is too loyal to certain players and systems. He’s very level headed and has and always will be cautious which winds up a lot of us.

Can he find a solution to the goals drying up and no goals coming from midfield?

One things for certain he gives players time to grow and believe if he likes them and if he doesn’t he doesn’t persevere too long before moving on

He knows he is trusted to progress the club and I’m pretty sure the target this year was to stay up and consolidate not flirt with the play offs and his job is completely secure which has its own benefits and problems

I trust him to find the answers with his team around him. Fundamentally gyokeres and Ohare level has dropped and that reduces our potency. He needs to find a way of shoring up the midfield whilst still getting players forward in attack.

It’s a big decision to replace Dabo or Hyam or Ohare but if he does and gets it right the squad will be better for it
Strange that 3 coaches felt it was best to leave a visible Godden knackered out there so long Tuesday though

NorthernWisdom

This does have the same feeling as the Mowbray - Armstrong/Murphy season. I don't think we will have a better chance than this season to push for promotion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I don't agree with that really. Our 'success' that season was based around the loan players, with a massive hole in the team when they went back. This season, we own most of the key players (bar a LWB!) so they either develop, or can be sold for some cash to re-invest in replacements.

Armstrong (and Murphy) were also a cut above our level that year, whereas this year I really don't see many who are had and shoulders above it. Therefore, they either develop with us, or the hole is at least fillable with a medium-term recruitment policy about, which we seem to have. Of course it'd be a loss to lose Hamer and O'Hare, but we would at least get cash for them, and finding a replacement for them would also be easier (not saying easy!) than replacing Armstrong's goals from that season.

pusbccfc

The next 5/6 games will be a real test of his management skills.

He's still learning and you'd hope he'll take a lot from the last 3/4 games.

I agree with the Walker situation. While I'm not his biggest fan, he'd have still been a better option on Tuesday in the second half, and bringing him on with minutes to go is pointless. It takes me back to League 2 where he'd throw Ponticelli on for 3 minutes. Literally no point.

While Grendal will say it's a cop out to say we are punching above, he really is. Even if you take the league position away, look at the squad he's working with. Granted, he brought in Gyökeres and Hamer for cash (both very good signings), but the Jobello and Hilsner situation must have stopped him bringing an additional midfielder. The squad is absolutely threadbare and unlike League 1 and 2, the level is too high to bring in an academy prospect. If O'Hare gets injured, the system goes out the window.

He brought Jones on because he's the only alternative attacker to throw in behind the strikers. It says a lot because Jones wouldn't get anywhere near any other side in the Championship and I'd be surprised if he was in any League 1 team either.

Grendel

What is your logic/reasons of why you would have expected that?

We finished above Huddersfield last season, Blackpool are a promoted team and Millwall and Luton are clubs with smaller revenue and were within 4 places last season so if we are progressing we finish this season above where they are especially as we are ahead of them now

Grendel

Or he doesn’t do the running and hassling that Robins system depends on.

Robins criticised him the one time he did that and anyway he scouted him and signed him. So its poor management then?

SkyBlueMatt

Thank you for asking.

I agree with most of this apart from a couple of points, including Hamer. I'm not part of the group that shits their pants after he's had a good run of games worrying what we are going to do without him when he's signed by a PL side for 10mil. I do think though that He and O'Hare are probably the best midfield pairing we've had in a decade. A number of important players form has dipped, I'll admit but we haven't got the squad depth to rest / challenge them.

As for the fault lines, of course they are there. We're a 2nd season, bottom 3/4 budget Championship squad. Take you mind back to the start of the season, how many people we pissing their pants saying that he squad hasn't improved and we'll be fighting relegation again this season. We have a thin squad, it gets better every year.

You're right, we don't have the resources but I think everyone is aware of that. Thats why I'm amazed in how well Robin and the team are doing. We are position far higher (currently) than we 'should' be and will be come the end of the season (most likely).

Robins isn't perfect, I doubt his tactics and subs sometimes (Sheaf & Walker vs Swansea) but to start chipping away at him is disappointing.

covboy1987

This most definitely NOT a post about getting rid of Robins but…

After attending last nights game I feel strongly that Robins (and his team) got it very wrong and their are signs that his tactical nous could be much better.

Firstly tactics-obvious from the start how Swansea lined up by pushing two wingers very very wide and hitting corners. Also Swansea had loads more bodies in midfield allowing them space to pass through and around us.

Point one-although our formation works I feel from time to time Robins needs to start with a different one-a back four or one up top just to make the opposition think for a change.

Point two-obvious to everyone that we have very tired players (who literally ran around chasing shadows for 90 mins) Robins has mentioned this in the past and he did again in post match interviews. So why the fook did Walker come on in the 88 minute and why didn’t O’Hare get taken off. Timely substitutes could have swayed that game. Knowing we have a game on Satdee as well Robins should have brought players off much much earlier. His game and season management could be better.

Only two things but I think quite major ones. We have the shown the ability to maintain a top half finish this season but only if Robins and his team learn from the glaring errors that have led to poor performance.

Pusb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Went to the Luton away game and we started exactly the same as against Swansea -- Luton constantly targeted Matson and his side of the pitch as they felt it was a weak area - Does some good things Matson, but the cover for him when he ventures forward is non-existent- Swansea obviously watched us against Luton as they did exactly the same- O’Hare needs to go to finishing school as his great promising work is spoilt by his end product – Hamer for some reason has gone backwards this season - fantastic position we are in 4th in the table but teams are starting to work us out

NortonSkyBlue

I agree with most of this apart from a couple of points, including Hamer. I'm not part of the group that shits their pants after he's had a good run of games worrying what we are going to do without him when he's signed by a PL side for 10mil. I do think though that He and O'Hare are probably the best midfield pairing we've had in a decade. A number of important players form has dipped, I'll admit but we haven't got the squad depth to rest / challenge them.

As for the fault lines, of course they are there. We're a 2nd season, bottom 3/4 budget Championship squad. Take you mind back to the start of the season, how many people we pissing their pants saying that he squad hasn't improved and we'll be fighting relegation again this season. We have a thin squad, it gets better every year.

You're right, we don't have the resources but I think everyone is aware of that. Thats why I'm amazed in how well Robin and the team are doing. We are position far higher (currently) than we 'should' be and will be come the end of the season (most likely).

Robins isn't perfect, I doubt his tactics and subs sometimes (Sheaf & Walker vs Swansea) but to start chipping away at him is disappointing.
I agree with everything you have stated there.

Hullinho87

We finished above Huddersfield last season, Blackpool are a promoted team and Millwall and Luton are clubs with smaller revenue and were within 4 places last season so if we are progressing we finish this season above where they are especially as we are ahead of them now

Revenue doesn’t necessarily equate to squad cost or expenditure does it?
Is there any quantitative solid proof that Millwall and Luton are ahead of us in that regard?

Using your original logic as a hard and fast expectancy rule(s), who finished above who, newly promoted/relegated teams, solid proof of revenue/squad investment £ etc .. where do you expect us to finish? Or where should we finish the season?

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Is there any quantitative solid proof that Millwall and Luton are ahead of us in that regard?

Using your original logic as a hard and fast expectancy rule(s), who finished above who, newly promoted/relegated teams, solid proof of revenue/squad investment £ etc .. where do you expect us to finish? Or where should we finish the season?
Pretty much year on year that’s exactly what happens apart from with Sunderland

Grendel

We are 4th I expect from where we are to finish in the top 8 without question - it’s a perverse logic to believe a significant form downturn is likely unless there are major injuries

Users who are viewing this thread