Festive fixture memories (1 Viewer)

skyblue1991

One that sticks out in my kind that wasn't a nice memory is Doncaster away Boxing Day 2014

Bad spell of snow, freezing, down to 9 men and one of the worst performances I have ever seen in my time as a Cov fab

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Johhny Blue

And was still 100 times better than Sandy Robertson who we bought instead as we haggled over the price and Wolves snapped him up. I know he subsequently suffered with injuries but eventually settled at Southampton, not sure what happened to Robertson & can't remember him playing much for us.
If you don't remember him playing much there's a chance he'll pop up on Grendel's quiz

Johhny Blue

Norwich were 3-0 up.
You already corrected me once on this thread so I have to be careful. I was so sure Peters had missed the penalty that I had to look it up.
But you're wrong this time. The scoring went:
1-0 Powell Pen
2-0 Wallace
2-1 Ryan pen
2-2 reeves
2-3 Reeves
3-3 Gooding
4-3 McDonald
4-4 Peters
5-4 Graydon

In addition to the 3 penalties Coventry had 2 goals disallowed and Norwich 1

Last edited:

EalingSB

Beating man utd late Dec 1997 followed by winning 3-1 at anfield a few days later in the FA Cup was pretty special. That Liverpool game was my first away game so that holds good memories for that reason too
I was backpacking in Australia at this time. I got woken up at the hostel at 6am where I was staying with someone telling me I had an urgent message from my dad so I ran down to the phone ... he was pissed as he'd not only had a full day in hospitality but also backed City to win 3-2 so he wanted to tell me about it; great memories and I was gutted I wasn't there. For the Liverpool game I was working at 6am at the Sydney Cricket Ground ahead of the South Africa Test so watched the result coming in - made all the sweeter spending the day with some scousers.

Personally, though, the 4-3 v Spurs and 3-0 v Villa stand out. Not sure if Stoke on Saturday can match any of those!

Hertsccfc

You already corrected me once on this thread so I have to be careful. I was so sure Peters had missed the penalty that I had to look it up.
But you're wrong this time. The scoring went:
1-0 Powell Pen
2-0 Wallace
2-1 Ryan pen
2-2 reeves
2-3 Reeves
3-3 Gooding
4-3 McDonald
4-4 Peters
5-4 Graydon

In addition to the 3 penalties Coventry had 2 goals disallowed and Norwich 1
Must admit that is much more like I remember. I certainly didn't think we were 3 0 down.

bringbackrattles

Same
But BBR is right. We were 3-0 down.
And of course, the most important thing was the last minute penalty save by Blyth!
I was there that day and even though I'd had a good drink I watched us make a great comeback. But because of the comments I thought maybe I was wrong ? To make sure I googled it a couple of times and it says Norwich were 3-0 up.

clint van damme

I was there that day and even though I'd had a good drink I watched us make a great comeback. But because of the comments I thought maybe I was wrong ? To make sure I googled it a couple of times and it says Norwich were 3-0 up.

I was there and was sober - because I was 10! But you're right B.
Serves me right for going to a boxing day game without having a pint!

bringbackrattles

Here's another take on the order of scorers , ours only.

[/QUOTE
Was such a great game and I now feel ungrateful in not remembering how the scoring went. Nurse don't let Rattles near his ladders, he's not safe to be let out !

SkyBlueCharlie9

Defo gave of mine was the 4-3 v spurs Xmas 1986 just before we started the cup run.
Classic City then lost 1-0 at home to Luton on New year's Day. That was the complete antithisis of the Spurs game!!! My old man bought wrong tickets and we sat in Luton end with one man and his dog.
Special mention to the 3-0 away win at Bramall Lane on boxing Day 1992.

clint van damme

Defo gave of mine was the 4-3 v spurs Xmas 1986 just before we started the cup run.
Classic City then lost 1-0 at home to Luton on New year's Day. That was the complete antithisis of the Spurs game!!! My old man bought wrong tickets and we sat in Luton end with one man and his dog.
Special mention to the 3-0 away win at Bramall Lane on boxing Day 1992.

The Luton game is the one I was referring to where I had the hangover. Did t realise we lost! My memory is getting terrible!

bringbackrattles

The Luton game is the one I was referring to where I had the hangover. Did t realise we lost! My memory is getting terrible!
It's a senior thing,you'll be going into a shop not knowing what you went in for. Recently a customer asked me why I had come to clean her windows, as I'd only cleaned them 2 weeks ago, her house is monthly ? I joked I was winding her up,but I'd forgot. She made me a cuppa though !

Hertsccfc

I was there and was sober - because I was 10! But you're right B.
Serves me right for going to a boxing day game without having a pint!
Likewise because I was 12. It's a long time ago but my feeling was that we were leading most of the time but annoyingly Norwich kept coming back. I also think at least one of the Kevin Reeves goals was really good a bit like McDonald's for us.

Fergusons_Beard

Anyone remember the 1982/83 season?

Dave Sexton and our Young uns (& Gerry Francis!) doing brilliantly.

Dec 27th Notts Forest away lost 4-2
Dec 28th Man Utd Home won 3-0
Jan 1st Luton away Won 2-1

Today’s footballers just don’t know they’re born!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hertsccfc

Anyone remember the 1982/83 season?

Dave Sexton and our Young uns (& Gerry Francis!) doing brilliantly.

Dec 27th Notts Forest away lost 4-2
Dec 28th Man Utd Home won 3-0
Jan 1st Luton away Won 2-1

Today’s footballers just don’t know they’re born!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Man U one was when Gary Baily dropped the long shot from Peter Hormanstchuk? I think Melrose scored a late goal too.

Was also at the Luton game and I remember we were frantically holding on for the last 15 minutes after Melrose missed a sitter.

shmmeee

Just to annoy the pedants I’m declaring any game taking place during snow to be an honorary festive game and nominating the 5-0 against Blackburn.

Legia Sky Blue

Yes, I remember a lot of trouble. Have a memory of being behind the goal really close to the home fans with just a fence between us. They were throwing coins at us all the way through.

I was at this game too and there was a real edge throughout the day. I remember a copper getting his helmet knocked off and it being thrown amongst our fans like a stray balloon. We were so tightly packed that the Police couldn't get in to retrieve it. I also remembert hat coming out the ground felt petty dangerous, being dragged with the crowd down the stairwell from the terraces when my feet barely touched the ground.

Johhny Blue

Interesting to see how people's memories/verions of past events get changed by the passing of time.
It’s crazy. I would have bet my house that it was Peters that missed the pen at the end. The way I remember it he was on a hat trick. It was Reeves that had two goals.

Users who are viewing this thread