Favourite Beers (1 Viewer)

andrew.roberts

To take our collective mind off the Tuesday fixture and inspired by the Berlin post earlier today, I was wondering what would be different people´s favourite beers.
I was thinking maybe putting them into categories like favourite session beer, favourite ale and favourite imported beer, but the three favourites in any order is okay
As you would assume by my ramblings, I´ve had a few already.

1. Alhambra Reserva 1925 (if you can get it in the U.K., do so, it´s ***ing good)
2. Marston´s Pedigree
3. Furstenberg German Pils

Would be interested to see what tickles our taste buds

PUSB

Mr pot

Second beerlao. Fantastic larger

Ale. Would be anything from kinver brewery or hobsons bitter

andrew.roberts

Beer Lao
Bintang
Chang (loopy juice!!)
Tuborg

Beer Lao is the finest of the lot though!

Tuborg (Danish I think) was a great beer but disappeared for a while here in Spain but is now making a comeback.
The national breweries are making some decent stuff of late trying to get away from the ubiquitous San Miguel, notably Mahou from Madrid.

D

Deleted member 4232

Don't drink anymore, but have a few favorites, mostly from back home.

Tui. (NZ)
Tooheys Extra Dry (Aus)
Efes (Turkish pilsner)
Cass (Korea)
Red Stripe (Yes, red stripe)

Fanciest bottle I had was a special reserve that cost me AU$75.00 and the bar only had the one bottle, in a numbered case with a certificate. Wasn't impressed, as I can't even remember the name. Was a bit heavy.

scroobiustom

Big fan of Tsingtao - very malty

skybluejelly

used to love judges gavel bender...and gillespies stout ..but basically just stick to guiness ..or if its lager an ice cold peroni

SkyBlueScottie

Not into the bitter beardy weirdy Camra sort of drinks, mainly due to the fact I dont carry around a notebook to make notes on the beer purchased, plus I like to Shower at the very least once a day!

So for me Lager, Miller is always an excellent drop, Coors I am also partial. Stella used to do a Lager from a wood cask, that was a decent drop.

Out in pubs A pint of Carling from the Gatehouse in town is a delight!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Guinness for me!

Darkpoo.jpg

Covstu

Guinness is always good, Desperado is excellent, Ashai (Japanese) is top too. I was drinking Augustine last night which was nice!!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
If I'm drinking lager, then it's gotta be Stella or 1664

andrew.roberts

The majority of people tend to associate San Miguel with Spain and deservedly so. Their marketing is second to none. Unfortunately the beer is dire (in my opinion). Mahou is really really good, the "Classica" at 4.5% ABV which is found mainly on draught is a a decent session beer, but the Five Star (Cinco Estrellas) is an excellent brew at 5.4%. Catalonias main beer is Estrella Damm (they also brew Budweiser under license) which is also pretty good (again just an opinion) but gives be a MF of a headache and consequent hangover, even after only a couple.
Estrella de Galicia ia an excellent draught, and found nationwide these days, but for those looking for something special try the previously mentioned Alhambra Reserva 1925 in bottles, it´s a 6.4% but extremely quaffable and well worth looking for, as is Marlen from Zaragoza.

Mr pot

Guinness is always good, Desperado is excellent, Ashai (Japanese) is top too. I was drinking Augustine last night which was nice!!

Ice cold asahi super dry on tap is fucking amazing. My staple drink when working in Asia

SkyBlueM

Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Skinner's Ginger Tosser both lovely pints (and always snigger when I order Ginger Tosser)

elephanttears

The majority of people tend to associate San Miguel with Spain and deservedly so. Their marketing is second to none. Unfortunately the beer is dire (in my opinion). Mahou is really really good, the "Classica" at 4.5% ABV which is found mainly on draught is a a decent session beer, but the Five Star (Cinco Estrellas) is an excellent brew at 5.4%. Catalonias main beer is Estrella Damm (they also brew Budweiser under license) which is also pretty good (again just an opinion) but gives be a MF of a headache and consequent hangover, even after only a couple.
Estrella de Galicia ia an excellent draught, and found nationwide these days, but for those looking for something special try the previously mentioned Alhambra Reserva 1925 in bottles, it´s a 6.4% but extremely quaffable and well worth looking for, as is Marlen from Zaragoza.

the first hms coventry was a captured Spanish ship called san miguel, i wonder if the ship logo on the bottle is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Coventry_(1658)

Real

I used to drink bottles of Holsten Pils when I was in pubs, but most pubs stopped serving it, then they made the bottle smaller which irked me somewhat. Nowadays I tend to drink bottles of Peroni if it is available, and if its on tap I know I'm going to get jarred up sharpish.

lordsummerisle

Peroni currently, lovely drink, and really nice glasses to nick as well.

Used to love Lowenbrau, but not seen it in a pub for years, real loopy juice though.

Loads of local German beers when i lived over there for a few years, most don't remember the names of, but Wobbly(Warsteiner) and Bitburger nice common beers found nationally over there.

Used to enjoy a nice Weiss beer when in Belgium, very refreshing.

Not into bitter at all, so never had a pint of Terry Nutkins Squirrel Bollocks or whatever.

andrew.roberts

I think the Philippines was technically Spain at the time, named after King Philip II of Spain

You are correct, apparently it was a spanish colony at the time, but according to what I´ve been able to find out on internet it takes it´s name from the neighbourhood where the brewery was founded in Manila.

Users who are viewing this thread