FAO the ‘Thorn is a miracle worker’ lot on here (1 Viewer)

stupot07

ive got contacts up the academy and the players love working with Carsley. Were top of the league despite not having Bigi, Thomas, Christie playing.

He gets the young players working and enjoying the game.

Our first team at the moment are not enjoying it and the manager has to take the flack for that.

Thorn is a scout, nothing more.

This begs the question that if we are going to be even more reliant on youngsters in the next couple of seasons, why make a change that could jeopardise the production of the young players we're gonna end up relying on?

covkid64

E
ive got contacts up the academy and the players love working with Carsley. Were top of the league despite not having Bigi, Thomas, Christie playing.

He gets the young players working and enjoying the game.

Our first team at the moment are not enjoying it and the manager has to take the flack for that.

Thorn is a scout, nothing more.

well I know someone who works at the academy as a coach and it is not carsley who is calling the shots there its rioch! I also know someone who is part of the first team set up and the players love thorn and have nothing but respect for him!

hear hear! At last someone on here with comon sense and a practicle view! Thorn is a man trying to do the best he can but let's not forget that he has experienced men around him who are very well respected within football! Carsley walked into a very well set up academy team and all of a sudden people are pilling plaudits upon him but what has he really done? We need to be realistic and remember that we will never attract high profile managers to our club because 1 SISU won't pay the wages! 2 SISU won't give them any money to spend and 3 who would want to take on a job where all the fans are going to do is slate and critisize him!

I hate the saying hes trying his best. I could try my best, you could try your best.

Hes not good enough. Simple as that. His record speaks for itself.

torchomatic

We're deep in trouble. We need experience. We can't give the job to someone so they can "have a crack at it". We haven't got the luxury of letting a potential new manager learn while doing the job. I'd rather have Boothroyd back!

......Why not?

Lloyd

i don't think we'd be in a better position with a different manager. but like you mumford, this is only my opinion.

E

well I know someone who works at the academy as a coach and it is not carsley who is calling the shots there its rioch! I also know someone who is part of the first team set up and the players love thorn and have nothing but respect for him!

they have no respect for him (Thorn) the drerssing room is split. its far from rosey in the first team.

We're deep in trouble. We need experience. We can't give the job to someone so they can "have a crack at it". We haven't got the luxury of letting a potential new manager learn while doing the job. I'd rather have Boothroyd back!

but thats what were doing at the moment. and i feel Carsley would do a better job then thorn the secondhand cars salesman

i don't think we'd be in a better position with a different manager. but like you mumford, this is only my opinion.

fair enough Lloyd but his record is awful. If it was a more high profile manager say Coleman, would he be getting the same support? doubt it. people feel sorry for Thorn because hes a likeable fella nit because hes a good manager

Thorny Subject

that would be the way, replace one unproven manager who clearly has the worst job in football with another unproven manger who is doing well with our academy. Just how many managerial careers can CCFC destroy before people realise that the problem with the club is that we dont have a pot to piss in.
In my opinion Thorn is doing a very good job just to be keeping us competitive at the moment. It is going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets any better.

that would be the way, replace one unproven manager who clearly has the worst job in football with another unproven manger who is doing well with our academy. Just how many managerial careers can CCFC destroy before people realise that the problem with the club is that we dont have a pot to piss in.
In my opinion Thorn is doing a very good job just to be keeping us competitive at the moment. It is going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets any better.

Competitive????? 2 wins in 18, hardly competitive.

torchomatic

ashbyjan

Dressing rooms always split when things are going badly - many players are too self centered and too egotistical to look at themselves and realise that maybe they are the problem. Far easier to blame the manager, the team mates, the kids, the fans, the weather, the make of ball, the scratchy collars of the new shirts etc. Maybe some of the overpaid prima donas should look at themselves, look at their bloated (relative to their contribution to the cause and those of the average fan) pay packets and go out onto the pitch and at least break sweat, if not for Thorn then for the supporters and their own self respect.

stupot07

What do you want us to do then mumford? Do you want us to start chanting thorn out and bring some thorn out placards to the next game?

What do you want us to do then mumford? Do you want us to start chanting thorn out and bring some thorn out placards to the next game?

No one knows the answer but i know Thorn isnt the man for the job. I suport the team when im there but forgive me if im wrong but this is a forum for fans to express there thoughts isn't?

torchomatic

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
out of interest when do people consider players to got some decent experience ? say 20 starts in the team and they are begining to know what its about ?

Squad of 30
14 senior players
plus 3 keepers other than Murphy
plus youngsters - Cameron, ROD, Deagan all played well over 20 professional games (starting)
plus even younger - Thomas (11) Gael (11) Hussey (16) Clarke (20)

Yes it is young but the experience is building.

And before you say it yes i know it is still too young and lacks depth of senior players. But at some point we have to stop saying we struggle because we are such a young squad

Otis

I don't understand all the venom on here. As with most things this isn't simply black and white. Thorn is our manager and I will support him. He is making many mistakes though and I think it is all good and proper to point out these frailties and discuss it on a football forum.

The movement is god damn awful and we all know it is. No-one can deny that. On the whole we pass the ball to the man and not into the space. If we just worked on pass and move, something so simple then we would be more of a threat. There is a lack of support into the forwards too. There are things we can put in place to give us more of a fighting chance.

Or are people honestly saying that our players are so poor than can not even do the basic footballing trait of pass and move? :( Cos if that is true then these players are not good enough to be professional footballers.

Ohh and Thorn scouted many of them so surely would have seen that these players have no footballing brain and cannot move into a space. That too would make him culpable.

Last edited:

Thorny Subject

Competitive????? 2 wins in 18, hardly competitive.

We have Academy kids who are being thrust into the first team because of the dire situation on the club. 2 wins in 18 isnt good reading in black and white, but what did you honestly expect given the level of backing he has received?. Yes we are competitive and the last 3 home games against 3 of the best sides in the league are anything to go by, we are not that far off.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
We have Academy kids who are being thrust into the first team because of the dire situation on the club. 2 wins in 18 isnt good reading in black and white, but what did you honestly expect given the level of backing he has received?. Yes we are competitive and the last 3 home games against 3 of the best sides in the league are anything to go by, we are not that far off.

hold up ........ so on the one hand we are suffering because we are having to use inexperienced youngsters ...... then on the other hand with Bigi, Thomas, Christie in the team we are not far off ?

ccfc2011

If we sack him who do we appoint next?

If your old enough your good enough. These lads having been playing football since the age of 10.

Colonel Mustard

If we sack him who do we appoint next?

The team is five points and -7 goals deep in the relegation zone having played one game more than just about everyone else. And it's not even December.

So I'd suggest we appoint anyone with a pulse, to be frank. How much worse could they do?

Thorny Subject

Exactly my point given that the entire thread has been that thorn isnt the man for the job. I was saying that despite the fact he has had to throw in the kids, he still has them compeitive. looking at the 2 sides on saturday versus west ham on paper, we shouldnt have been on the same pitch as them but at times we taught them a football lesson. I think thorny should have some credit for this.

Otis

True, Colonel.

Don't see how it could be any worse and simply saying that Thorn is doing his best doesn't really cut it does it. Is he doing the best that anyone could do?

Grendel

out of interest when do people consider players to got some decent experience ? say 20 starts in the team and they are begining to know what its about ?

Squad of 30
14 senior players
plus 3 keepers other than Murphy
plus youngsters - Cameron, ROD, Deagan all played well over 20 professional games (starting)
plus even younger - Thomas (11) Gael (11) Hussey (16) Clarke (20)

Yes it is young but the experience is building.

And before you say it yes i know it is still too young and lacks depth of senior players. But at some point we have to stop saying we struggle because we are such a young squad

This is all very true. Yes we have a poor squad but is it any worse than Peterborough, Barnsley or Millwall? Probably not. He is not forced to play Acadamy players either - he has other options Wood, Bell, Baker etc. If the best argument that is put up is there is no-one else that to me says it all. And it probably does. The truth is he is a typical SISU transaction - poor, not qualified and not up to the job as with all other managerial appointments they have made. He will stay as long as SISU does but if they ever move on then so will he and that will be the end of his managerial career. If he had any serious aspirations to be a maneger he would have gone himself by now - he is not exactly improving his CV is he? Also it is amusing that supporters of him quote the great players he has allegedly bought to the club (which no-one knows) and conveniently forget all the dross that have come in since his tenure in that role.

Grendel

Oh and before people come back on managerial appointments I am not referring to Boothroyd or Colemen but the post Ransom appointments on the non-playing management side - Delieu, Clouting etc. all on a par with Thorn.

Users who are viewing this thread