Fans Support of Andy Thorn: A sign of just how far we have fallen? (3 Viewers)

Sick Boy

SISU will be out of here by the summer. It's just whether they take us down before they clear off.

Is this reality or just your opinion.

I am now beginning to wonder if some on here are deliberately backing Thorn due to other reasons, even a Leicester fan on the thread believes Thorn should stay.

Grendel

Is this reality or just your opinion.

I am now beginning to wonder if some on here are deliberately backing Thorn due to other reasons, even a Leicester fan on the thread believes Thorn should stay.

I have a mate whose a West Ham fan. He wants Thorn to stay. Otherwise he might go to West Ham and then promotion will be too easy. He likes it nice and close.

Sick Boy

They've stripped our club of any of its assets so as to line their pockets. Why do you defend them?

Again, do you have any proof of them pocketing money?

I have never wanted Ranson or SISU here.

How am I defending SISU? I have been highly critical for their policies, especially the appointment of Thorn. You, however, are delighted Thorn is here, are you sure you are not defending their actions?

Most of us are able to see that manager's can only work with the tools they are given.

It's called being realistic.

How many managers have to be sacked before some of our fans gain some perspective? Baffling.

Grendel

Most of us are able to see that manager's can only work with the tools they are given.

It's called being realistic.

How many managers have to be sacked before some of our fans gain some perspective? Baffling.

Clearly not "most". Last poll of a reasonable sample on here state that 60% disagree with the view.

Your'e idea of realism to to be defeatest. It is an acceptance that results of the SISU appointed unqualified manager can not be improved. They may not be but no-one can be certain.

Last comment is the most baffling at all. It's like saying you get a guy to build your'e house and you are not happy with the outcome so you get another builder in. This doesn't work so you find a gardener (well he is cheaper) and tell him to have a go. Things don't go well but you want to retain perspective. You get a good view in the end as the whole thing falls down.

Otis

Think your case would be more relevant, Ginetta, if we appointed a very good manager and were still in this predicament.

They didn't though. they appointed an untested, untried novice because it was the cheap option.

kg82

Clearly not "most". Last poll of a reasonable sample on here state that 60% disagree with the view.

Your'e idea of realism to to be defeatest. It is an acceptance that results of the SISU appointed unqualified manager can not be improved. They may not be but no-one can be certain.

Last comment is the most baffling at all. It's like saying you get a guy to build your'e house and you are not happy with the outcome so you get another builder in. This doesn't work so you find a gardener (well he is cheaper) and tell him to have a go. Things don't go well but you want to retain perspective. You get a good view in the end as the whole thing falls down.

Taking your example, if you had a builder working on your house he'd have a team of builders, labourers and others. With what happened in the summer and since it's like Thorn had to start off on the house on his own and been able to get a few labourers in. In what scenario would the house be built quicker?

I know Thorn's naive sometimes and I have no allegiance to him, I'm just showing a bit of objectivity.

Well I think that's where we disagree Otis. I don't think we could attract any managers that would do a better job at this point.

Kduffy, I could also use the analogy of the lumberjack that's been given a blunt knife to lop down a tree but we'd be going round in circles. :D

Sick Boy

I'M SISU's wet dream?! :D

Coming from someone who still thinks they're acting in the interests of the club that's highly amusing.

How have I said they are acting in the club's interest?!

Through the appointment of Thorn, they certainly are not acting in the interests of the club.

You on the other hand believe they are.

Otis

Well I think that's where we disagree Otis. I don't think we could attract any managers that would do a better job at this point.

Kduffy, I could also use the analogy of the lumberjack that's been given a blunt knife to lop down a tree but we'd be going round in circles. :D

No, in all certainly we probably couldn't have attracted many managers who could do a better job. Many would turn the job down because their hands would be tied. Thorn was the sensible option for Sisu in terms of doing something cheap, easy and in line with cutting costs.

That in itself though doesn't make Thorn the right man for the job necessarily.

Think everyone agrees that Thorn is doing the best he can possibly do. The argument is whether his best is good enough and if anyone could do any better.

Grendel

The reason this keeps coming up is the gushing hyperbole from certain quarters;

Best manager in a decade
Give him a 5 year contract
Could do better at West Ham than Allardyce

Comments like that will always get a response back. No one questions effort or commitment just ability.

Sick Boy

The reason this keeps coming up is the gushing hyperbole from certain quarters;

Best manager in a decade
Give him a 5 year contract
Could do better at West Ham than Allardyce

Comments like that will always get a response back. No one questions effort or commitment just ability.

Also saying that you are glad we are bottom of the league and hope to get relegated in the hope of geting rid of SISU is going to get a response.

At least these people will get what they want, no doubt they will then blame SISU for not bringing in someone else.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Can't believe we're back here again. However, a couple of quick points if I could....

SISU aren't as such, pocketing cash. Although they have generated a transfer fund surplus in their time here, it's not - in my view - been withdrawn from the club; it's there to sustain our daily survival.

However, SISU have overseen a reduction in gates; from a season-average of 18K when they took over, to a season-average of 14K now. That's 4,000 fans every game that no longer turn up - this being a trend over successive managers serving a mixed bag of footballing genres. As such, the money they continue to 'pump into' the club is to cover losses they have overseen.

They have trimmed our wage structure to one of the lowest 3 in the league; and appointed Thorn as he was one of, if not the most cost-effective option. We have a league position that's consumate with the level of investment in the playing squad and backroom staff.

The balance of the debates - Thorn, the diamond formation, the use of substitutes - is just tantamount to tramps fighting over a bag of chips.

We are where we are due to SISU's administration of our affairs ever since their arrival. End of

Grendel

Can't believe we're back here again. However, a couple of quick points if I could....

SISU aren't as such, pocketing cash. Although they have generated a transfer fund surplus in their time here, it's not - in my view - been withdrawn from the club; it's there to sustain our daily survival.

However, SISU have overseen a reduction in gates; from a season-average of 18K when they took over, to a season-average of 14K now. That's 4,000 fans every game that no longer turn up - this being a trend over successive managers serving a mixed bag of footballing genres. As such, the money they continue to 'pump into' the club is to cover losses they have overseen.

They have trimmed our wage structure to one of the lowest 3 in the league; and appointed Thorn as he was one of, if not the most cost-effective option. We have a league position that's consumate with the level of investment in the playing squad and backroom staff.

The balance of the debates - Thorn, the diamond formation, the use of substitutes - is just tantamount to tramps fighting over a bag of chips.

We are where we are due to SISU's administration of our affairs ever since their arrival. End of

Fair comment - won't be end of though.

Sick Boy

I agree with what you say.

Otis

Think most would.

As we seem stuck with Sisu though debates obviously rage about what is happening on the field of play and questions are then asked if we could indeed be doing better.

Do think the diamond thing is relevant. just not the most imprtant thing by a long chalk in the scheme of everything.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I didn't mean for my last post to sound so dismissive either - sorry! Just had to dash to a meeting....

I agree with what you're saying there Otis; but the formations / lack of nous when it comes to substitutions are a function of a man in charge being out of his depth. His appointment in turn only being a function of poor administration of the club by it's owners.

It's like an avalanche causes a tree to fall onto your house and destroy it.

It's the tree's fault you're homeless, but the avalanche's fault the tree was felled

(For the thick reader struggling with my metaphor, the cast list runs as follows: league position = Otis' house, tree = Thorn, avalanche = SISU) :whistle:

Sick Boy

I agree with what you're saying there Otis; but the formations / lack of nous when it comes to substitutions are a function of a man in charge being out of his depth. His appointment in turn only being a function of poor administration of the club by it's owners.

Exactly! I cannot comprehend how much some people contradict themselves in their blind support for Thorn, yet their blind hatred of SISU. There is no sense to it whatsoever.

kg82

Exactly! I cannot comprehend how much some people contradict themselves in their blind support for Thorn, yet their blind hatred of SISU. There is no sense to it whatsoever.

That works the other way round though. From what I've observed anyway.

Sick Boy

That works the other way round though. From what I've observed anyway.

Most people who express doubts about Thorn are also expressing doubts about SISU.

IS there anyone on here who is anti-Thorn but backs SISU?

The only people who are backing a policy of SISU are those blindly back Thorn.

Jesus. If you don't think Thorn's management warrants his immediate removal as manager, if you suspect there are plenty of managers out there who could do better but you don't think SISU are likely to stump up the cash, if you have a viewpoint that contradicts Sick Boy, you support SISU. Case closed, gentlemen. The pro-Thorn side gets accused of hyperbole by kduffy and then someone on the anti-Thorn side makes a fucking stupid comment like that. Winners.

Sick Boy

Jesus. If you don't think Thorn's management warrants his immediate removal as manager, if you suspect there are plenty of managers out there who could do better but you don't think SISU are likely to stump up the cash, if you have a viewpoint that contradicts Sick Boy, you support SISU. Case closed, gentlemen. The pro-Thorn side gets accused of hyperbole by kduffy and then someone on the anti-Thorn side makes a fucking stupid comment like that. Winners.

If people continue to use hyperbole then they shouldn't be surprised when others respond in the same manner.

I only use hyperbole as it seems to be all they understand.

Well done MMM. If only we could all put things across as articulately as you.

There is no option but Thorn. None that SISU would pay for anyway and would be good enough to improve matters. Time to accept the situation and get behind both the players and the manager.

Grendel

Well done MMM. If only we could all put things across as articulately as you.

There is no option but Thorn. None that SISU would pay for anyway and would be good enough to improve matters. Time to accept the situation and get behind both the players and the manager.

Glad you weren't a suffragette with an approach like that.

kg82

Most people who express doubts about Thorn are also expressing doubts about SISU.

IS there anyone on here who is anti-Thorn but backs SISU?

The only people who are backing a policy of SISU are those blindly back Thorn.

I don't like when people use subtle insults, such as "blindly backing Thorn". It's insinuating their opinion's wrong and yours is right.

Brighton Sky Blue

The Andy Thorn debate has been exhausted ad nauseum and then some-for the sake of everyone on this forum, can we just not have a Thorn In/Out bitching session until relegation/survival is confirmed? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one whose head this is doing in. There are a few extreme folk on either side but by and large we're all of the opinion that both SISU and AT are responsible for this season, with SISU taking the brunt of that-but please, no more debates going round in circles!

Users who are viewing this thread