Fans slowly turning away .. (1 Viewer)

italiahorse

Anybody else going my way ?
Dispondent after attending Saturdays loss, not bothered to switch Sky Sports back on after summer break, this bulletin board seems boring, fed up with no movement with CCFC, lost my fight.

I'm on holiday again !!!

Sorry to say but I think I'm moving on.

covcity4life

the only excvitement you get is when ACL release a statement so its probably best for you to leave mate.

goodbye

hill83

My buzz is well and truly back. Had a good day on Saturday despite the defeat and we are playing some good football. PUSB

CJ_covblaze

I'm getting the impression that more and more feel the same. Can't really blame them.

theferret

I don't get that feeling. It will be interesting to see the sort of crowds we get next season if we are at the Ricoh (they are sure to be crap if we move back this season given that we have such a low ST base).

You get this sort of thing anyway, even in a normal season. I know so many who have drifted away over the years - people who were once present at every away game now nowhere to be seen. There is a danger that more will drift away this season than might otherwise have done - in fact I suspect it's a certainty, but I don't think it'll take much to get them back.

covkid69

regardless of the crap going on with our beloved ccfc i don't think i could ever turn away from them...i will never ever set foot in sixsheds no matter what but always listen to the radio when i'm out and about at work and still go mental when we score....should see the weird looks i get when i'm smacking the crap out of the steering wheel when a goal goes in...one of these days i'm gonna get an airbag in my face :)
unlike robins i actually do bleed sky blue and always will.....been through way too much crap over the years to give up now....P.U.S.B

theferret

My buzz is well and truly back. Had a good day on Saturday despite the defeat and we are playing some good football. PUSB

Yup. Was a proper buzz about the place. A more vibrant and passionate away following you'll struggle to find at any level.

italiahorse

Yup. Was a proper buzz about the place. A more vibrant and passionate away following you'll struggle to find at any level.

I had the buzz Saturday but that performance gives me the impression nothing has really changed. Build us up, get a good following and disappoint us. Typical CCFC second half regardless of manager. Hope I'm wrong.

theferret

I had the buzz Saturday but that performance gives me the impression nothing has really changed. Build us up, get a good following and disappoint us. Typical CCFC second half regardless of manager. Hope I'm wrong.

There was a bit of 'typical city' about it. Hope it's just a blip.

fernandopartridge

Anybody else going my way ?
Dispondent after attending Saturdays loss, not bothered to switch Sky Sports back on after summer break, this bulletin board seems boring, fed up with no movement with CCFC, lost my fight.

I'm on holiday again !!!

Sorry to say but I think I'm moving on.

Fucking hell. One away defeat.

GaryJones

I think most people (the missing 8,000) feel really pissed off that they cant simply turn up every other week at a ground in Coventry to watch their local team play locally.
This is turning off the vast majority I think.
Im cheesed off that a whole new generation of supporters aged between 9- 15 years old are not getting the chance to be indoctorated in to watching the Sky Blues by Dads and Big Brothers because its too far a trip.

You might be turning off the whole Sky Blue experience italia but that really is YOUR choice but for these youngsters the choice has been taken away from them by the club itself!

italiahorse

I think most people (the missing 8,000) feel really pissed off that they cant simply turn up every other week at a ground in Coventry to watch their local team play locally.
Im cheesed off that a whole new generation of supporters aged between 9- 15 years old are not getting the chance to be indoctorated in to watching the Sky Blues by Dads and Big Brothers because its too far a trip.

You might be turning off the whole Sky Blue experience italia but that really is YOUR choice but for these youngsters the choice has been taken away from them by the club itself!

It's a fair point. I was just getting my grandson into it but he does other things now.

stupot07

To be fair, they're probably doing them a favour in terms of their future mental health. Supporting ccfc isn't the easiest thing in the world....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse and spelling or grammar errors :)

Chipfat

The fans were staying away before this current situation happened now we are down to 1500-2000 who still go while not at the Ricoh.. So not really any guess work in this post its facts by figures, blame comes into it but like ever other post comes down to what side you sit on...I don't see it as our club while in Northampton therefore don't have the same passion because of this reason.. What others do and decide i don't think the individual is wrong to keep going i just opt to stay away and try to not be negative towards those who do.... Passion is on the slide for me after 37 years of being my all its now become another game on a coupon, sad but true..

I don't wish defeats but don't jump around the room now when they score,,, i'm afraid the current owners and the other involved parties don't care about my support or opinion. They just seem to care about who has the biggest nuts in this process.. We as fans carry on arguing , infighting , ridicule and judge while those with power to change this situation carry on regardless without a thought to hurt and missed opportunity the mess is causing... Until i feel like we as a club are in the right hands with owners who have the ability and understanding to make my club move forward i will not be attending, but will be more like an old player with fondness, looking out for CCFC results...

Last edited:

Noggin

I can't speak for anyone else but my anger is disappearing and being replaced by ambivalence. It's so easy to get out of the habit of going to games. Having canceled sky blues player and thus not getting any commentary it's hard to feel involved. It's hard to be especially excited or upset by a result when you are just getting it via the bbc sport page after 5pm. It's early in the first season away and I already feel this way they are going to lose alot of people after years of it.

Sky Blue Kid

@"Canyouhearthedrums"....Forgotten how to count have you mate? 3 defeats this season..1 in Capital Cup, 2 in the League....All 3 games were defeats by the same score 3-2

Sky Blue Kid

@ Noggin...I cancelled my "Sky Blue Player" too, but if you go into website as you would usually do, scroll down a bit, then where the "Match stats" and "Teamlineups", "Live table" and Live Comms"......click on "Live Comms" scroll down a bit, then "Click" on the spinning circle" with the 3-2-1 countdown. you will get a up to the second "Typed commentary" which is quicker than Linnel and Eakins' inane chatter. Try it mate. ;)

torchomatic

Nah, I don't feel like that. I feel gutted for me and my lad that we're missing all the exciting football we seem to be playing, but I certainly don't feel like throwing in the towel. We'll be back and when we are so will I.

wince

Surprised how quickly I have felt like that , didn't go Saturday (first away game I have missed this season) and didn't miss it

SkyBlueSid

It is correct that the new generation of fans will be lost forever. They will form other allegiances, or take up other activities, and if and when the club returns to the city there will be very few youngsters of that age group bother to turn up.

But it's far worse than that. The diehard middle aged and older fans are being driven away after a lifetime of following city. Thousands have drifted away since relegation in 2001, leaving the diehards, of which I would include myself. I haven't done away games for many years, but never missed at home, despite living 25 miles away for the last 15+ years. People that I know, of my generation, have just simply stopped going, and having got out of the habit it will take a lot to get us back.

I am unwilling to do a round trip of 120 miles every home game. So the absolute minimum to get me back would be playing in Coventry. Whether that will still be the case in 3 or 4 years I cannot say. I have lost a lot of interest simply because, as far as I'm concerned, we don't have a CCFC any more. And many people I know have similar feelings. So it's not just the younger generation being lost to the club, it's the older fan too. The only people left will be young people with the time and inclination to go, and the real 'anoraks' (which I don't mean disrespectfully) who will go anywhere to watch a sky blue shirt. This does not look good for the future, as even if the club returns to the city, it will need a degree of success to start getting the former fans back.

theferret

We do realise that our away followings are, on average, higher now than they have been at any point since the first season post relegation from PL?

Spionkop

Italia. don't be goaded into anything by the first two who responded, Grappa and CovCity4life, we both know where they are coming from.
Infantile doesn't cover it. They're just having a pop because you speak the truth about our scummy owners. Keep the faith.

ohitsaidwalker king power

It is correct that the new generation of fans will be lost forever. They will form other allegiances, or take up other activities, and if and when the club returns to the city there will be very few youngsters of that age group bother to turn up.

But it's far worse than that. The diehard middle aged and older fans are being driven away after a lifetime of following city. Thousands have drifted away since relegation in 2001, leaving the diehards, of which I would include myself. I haven't done away games for many years, but never missed at home, despite living 25 miles away for the last 15+ years. People that I know, of my generation, have just simply stopped going, and having got out of the habit it will take a lot to get us back.

I am unwilling to do a round trip of 120 miles every home game. So the absolute minimum to get me back would be playing in Coventry. Whether that will still be the case in 3 or 4 years I cannot say. I have lost a lot of interest simply because, as far as I'm concerned, we don't have a CCFC any more. And many people I know have similar feelings. So it's not just the younger generation being lost to the club, it's the older fan too. The only people left will be young people with the time and inclination to go, and the real 'anoraks' (which I don't mean disrespectfully) who will go anywhere to watch a sky blue shirt. This does not look good for the future, as even if the club returns to the city, it will need a degree of success to start getting the former fans back.

For some families like mine- both ends of that spectrum apply- me a serial S/T holder- my young son 5 years onto his Sky Blue Habit- just turned teenager- when lots of other distractions are on offer- unless it happens soon- CCFC back to the City he'll be lost I suspect- and if he is... I think I may well be too. Shame

theferret

Are we not being a bit melodramatic? Rotherham were exiled and are now enjoying their best gates in years. Brighton played in Gillingham, then returned to a limited capacity athletics stadium, but now enjoy their highest attendances in decades. You could also argue that Bristol Rovers lost generations of fans when they played in Bath all those years, but it didn't really happen. It didn't happen at any of those clubs, and for us it's been weeks not years, so talk of losing a generation of fans is a bit premature?

wince

Are we not being a bit melodramatic? Rotherham were exiled and are now enjoying their best gates in years. Brighton played in Gillingham, then returned to a limited capacity athletics stadium, but now enjoy their highest attendances in decades. You could also argue that Bristol Rovers lost generations of fans when they played in Bath all those years, but it didn't really happen. It didn't happen at any of those clubs, and for us it's been weeks not years, so talk of losing a generation of fans is a bit premature
but we now have live football on 7 days a week on tv

jacko63

bringbackrattles

When you support Coventry City you will go through lots of emotions and you will feel is it worth it anymore at times ?
But as I've been a fan for fifty years and am still here it shows when your a City supporter it can be for life.
I've seen fans come and go over the years but they still love the club and do follow them but not by attending games.
My own son has lost interest but he will come back as I will drag him there !

Users who are viewing this thread