Family Zone (1 Viewer)

Limey

I'll be taking my two kids (aged 5 and 6) to the Ricoh. Time to induct the poor sods. Can anyone tell me what the family zone was/is like? Was there much in the concourse to keep them occupied before the game?

I think they had a ps3 or xbox plugged in with FIFA on the go. Sky Blue Sam is usually around there. Other than that it's just business as usual.

ampthill_sba

The volunteers who run it are very dedicated and provide arts and crafts too. Meet a couple of players out of the squad (injured etc) and there was a virtual goal shoot computerised interactive game.

ampthill_sba

It will still be beneath blocks 32-35 I'm sure and I'd be surprised if north stand concessions are closed - it'll just be the seating areas closed off when ticket sales don't demand.

skybluetony176

Thanks for the info. Sounds promising.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on if you'd be kind enough to post some feedback on this thread once you've been.

Debating as to whether to take mine of simular age to the Yeovil game.

Cheers

cov4theprem

We're taking my daughter (5) and son (7) to the Gillingham game for their first ever outing to a footy match so will let you know!

Limey

We're taking my daughter (5) and son (7) to the Gillingham game for their first ever outing to a footy match so will let you know!

Great, cheers. Reply tweet from the club:
We will have usual arts & crafts provided by our volunteers, player visits & more. #pusb

sky_blue_up_north

Personally I've never been in the family zone but plan to us it with my Grandkids this season. I think it should be pretty good for the kids, no adults blocking their view and plently of space to mess around during the 'boring' parts of the game. Lets be honest my 5-7 years have the attention span of knat and always seem to find something more interesting.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I was planning on taking my 6 y/o to his first ever game v Yeovil too, so will also be interested in any JSB feedback.

He's shown no interest in football at all so far, so I'm hoping the live experience will do the trick!

coop

I don't think they have given enough space for the family zone and also the atmosphere will not be as good as before as there is no one behind that goal.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

my mum is one of the volunteers i can confirm it is going back to its old location behind the telegraph they have been trying to keep it going at sixfields but obviously there has been a lack of customers so they are all excited to be getting home not 100% on the 2 PS3's been up and running but i dont see why they wouldn't be but the arts and craft and mini games will be returning along with what should be a better showing from the team in ways of players as Pat who runs it has recently been in contact with SP about the scheme that they run themselves and he seems keen to help to try and make the players more accessible for them.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

my mum is one of the volunteers i can confirm it is going back to its old location behind the telegraph they have been trying to keep it going at sixfields but obviously there has been a lack of customers so they are all excited to be getting home not 100% on the 2 PS3's been up and running but i dont see why they wouldn't be but the arts and craft and mini games will be returning along with what should be a better showing from the team in ways of players as Pat who runs it has recently been in contact with SP about the scheme that they run themselves and he seems keen to help to try and make the players more assessable for them.

thanks for the reply SITE.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
The Family zone will definitely be continuing. Previously at the Ricoh, activities ranged from arts and crafts, to PS3 competitions that even the players got competitive on and joined in on the fun! The activities continued at Sixfields minus the PS3's.

The players that attend, usually 2 per game ranging from academy graduates to injured / suspended first teamers, used to have a slot for autograph signing, but this was changed when at Sixfields, and proved more successful with players getting involved in the crafts too, and signing autographs as the time went on. They have even donated things they have made as prizes for the kids to competed for, or just given them out generously to the kids that take part (autographed aswell).

The volunteers are hopeful that the PS3's will again be available again this time round (to be confirmed as far as I know).

Some matchdays come with themes; Christmas cards for the players and staff at Christmas time; colouring / poster competitions for special games I.e kick racism out of football games.

Limey

I took my two kids to their first City match v yeovil and they loved it! They were greeted by Sky Blue Sam in the family zone where they also did some of the arts & crafts run by the volunteers. This was great as it occupied them up until kick off (from 130pm). The volunteers do a great job there.
They also met Finch and Lawton who signed their programs.
Overall a very good experience and will never forget my sons reaction to city's first goal.
They both travelled home to Portsmouth shouting Sky Blue Army. Great!
Will be bringing them back v Peterborough.

ccfc1234

I took my two kids to their first City match v yeovil and they loved it! They were greeted by Sky Blue Sam in the family zone where they also did some of the arts & crafts run by the volunteers. This was great as it occupied them up until kick off (from 130pm). The volunteers do a great job there.
They also met Finch and Lawton who signed their programs.
Overall a very good experience and will never forget my sons reaction to city's first goal.
They both travelled home to Portsmouth shouting Sky Blue Army. Great!
Will be bringing them back v Peterborough.

Stories like this make me consider wanting to have kids!!!!
Really glad you and the family had a good day, lets hope the team give them plenty more to be proud and excited by in the coming years.

skybluetony176

Nice report back Limey.

I didn't quite have the same response from my daughter who I also took to Yeovil.

She loved the first half. She was clapping, cheering, waving my scarf and doing her best to sing. Unfortunately 45 minutes was long enough for her and the second half undone all the good work of the first half. She said she liked it but it was too long. Might give it a year or two and try again depending on how her attention span has improved. We only just got in before kick off so went straight to our seats so didn't really get to experience what was happening in the family area.

skybluelee

Nice report back Limey.

I didn't quite have the same response from my daughter who I also took to Yeovil.

She loved the first half. She was clapping, cheering, waving my scarf and doing her best to sing. Unfortunately 45 minutes was long enough for her and the second half undone all the good work of the first half. She said she liked it but it was too long. Might give it a year or two and try again depending on how her attention span has improved. We only just got in before kick off so went straight to our seats so didn't really get to experience what was happening in the family area.

How old is she Tony? Thinking of taking my eldest in a year when (if - lol) she reaches 7. I am worried about her attention span as well.

skybluetony176

How old is she Tony? Thinking of taking my eldest in a year when (if - lol) she reaches 7. I am worried about her attention span as well.

She's five. She does have a short attention span though, even for a five year old. If you think they have the attention span go for it. If I could get my seven year old to entertain the idea I'd do it in a heart beat.

It wasn't a waste of time either way. For me it was a very special moment and a memory I'll treasure forever.

Limey

Nice report back Limey.

Yes my daughter enjoyed the pre-match arts&crafts more I'd say. She played with the bits that she made then during most of the game. I was pretty well armed and took my tablet for her to play some games on too. My son started to flag just before we scored the second one, so the winning goal spurred him on a bit. Its a long time for them to sit so I was very happy to watch the full 90.
I think for Peterborough I'll be taking my son as he's slightly older so has a bit more of an idea of whats going on.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Still rememeber when my daughter fell asleep when we played stevenage on sky. At least we were easy to spot!

skybluetony176

Yes my daughter enjoyed the pre-match arts&crafts more I'd say. She played with the bits that she made then during most of the game. I was pretty well armed and took my tablet for her to play some games on too. My son started to flag just before we scored the second one, so the winning goal spurred him on a bit. Its a long time for them to sit so I was very happy to watch the full 90.
I think for Peterborough I'll be taking my son as he's slightly older so has a bit more of an idea of whats going on.

Your daughter didn't have a sleep during the second half by any chance did she?

Limey

No she didn't sleep. My boy was getting a bit comfy just before the second goal so we couldnt jump up for that one! I tested the waters a bit with him last year at the Ice hockey which he did pretty well with. After last year at Sixfields i just decided I wanted to get them up there when I first had chance.
I was sat in block 34 row T....

skybluetony176

No she didn't sleep. My boy was getting a bit comfy just before the second goal so we couldnt jump up for that one! I tested the waters a bit with him last year at the Ice hockey which he did pretty well with. After last year at Sixfields i just decided I wanted to get them up there when I first had chance.
I was sat in block 34 row T....

I was block 34 too, row X. Tablet was a good idea. Think I'll try again next season. Hopefully with both next time.

letsallsingtogether

Remember taking my daughter for the first time back at the Ricoh we were sitting in the East stand and she said Daddy tell them to be quiet:eek:

She would have been at home at shitfields;)

My sons first game was in the west end that too was an experience "is it time to go home yet daddy":( NO.

Luckily both now support City:D

Nick

Administrator
Mine thinks everytime you go you get a football as we have caught two out it off two when they kicked then into the crowd

Users who are viewing this thread