False position (6 Viewers)

Mucca Mad Boys

So you want half of the core of our team to go?

How ridiculous

Dunn - sub goalie, so I'd keep him, rarely going to play
Cameron - out of contract
Stewart - out of contract
Martin - loanee
Wood - out of contract
Edge - shit
Jennings - think he's worthy sub
Bell - may have a future, but I'd look to get rid, too high wages
Bailey - loanee
McSheff - out of contract
McDonald - shit player, I ope Gillingham take him off our hands!
Ball - loanee

Most of them will go anyway, so yeah, they'll go.

Mucca Mad Boys

Which flies in the face of the strong squad argument. Replace one player and we are struggling.

We have a strong midfield, strong full backs, possibly RM, however, we need to: strengthen LM, CB, for sure. 1 striker is needed, and without a 19-goal in about 3/4 season, you're going to struggle a bit for goals when your replacements are: a L2 striker, a unproven youngster, a striker who hasn't scored in the league yet and a player who hadn't made a start yet.

stupot07

We have a strong midfield, strong full backs, possibly RM, however, we need to: strengthen LM, CB, for sure. 1 striker is needed, and without a 19-goal in about 3/4 season, you're going to struggle a bit for goals when your replacements are: a L2 striker, a unproven youngster, a striker who hasn't scored in the league yet and a player who hadn't made a start yet.

the whole squad needs a shake up, especially as SP has said he wants a squad of 24 and hinted that also included youngster too old for the U19's.

We need players that fit into SP system and makes it work.

We currently have 34 squad players, so to shake it up and trim the squad to 24 I think around 20 will need to go.

Nonleagueherewecome

the whole squad needs a shake up, especially as SP has said he wants a squad of 24 and hinted that also included youngster too old for the U19's.

We need players that fit into SP system and makes it work.

We currently have 34 squad players, so to shake it up and trim the squad to 24 I think around 20 will need to go.

Time to Rip It Up and start again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESy-Z8vqMrE

I think I'd at the most keep:

Murphy
Baker
Cyrus
Adams
Jordan
Leon
Wilson
Barton (who I'd play every week at DMC)
Burge
Willis

Then in the maybe class:

Fleck
Moussa
Elliott

That's 13 players.

Of the latter 3, Elliott has been unlucky with injuries (and hitting the woodwork!) and has done enough for me. Fleck has disappointed but has improved under Pressley-he clearly has ability and potential, but drops too deep to be effective at present. Having no striker to target doesn't help him, but he has creativity. Moussa is close to being a discard for me, but has done enough earlier in the season for me to forgive his poor recent form. Neither he nor Fleck have been suited to our quagmire of a pitch.

I'd be very happy to see the back of all of our loans (Bailey, Martin, Ball) and also:

Dunn (Crewe, say no more. Doesn't look like a goalkeeper to me!)
Stewart (not quite good enough, past his peak)
Edge (too inconsistent, gets battered too often)
Wood (awful and a massive wage drain)
Sheff (finished, I think)
Philliskirk (just doesn't look good enough to me).
Jennings (top of my Shit List right now..."poor man's Doyle" is starting to look like a HUGE compliment!).
Bell (one good game and a decent corner a fortnight before does not a season make).
McDonald (can't play as the lone forward; watch him score goals for fun for Gillingham next season..)
Malaga (probably better than the others we have, but it looks like the boat has long sailed for him)
Jeffers (hasn't done much)

Actually I don't know how Pressley gets 34: that's 27! I guess Cameron too, but he's as good as gone already. Is he counting Phillips as well? Who else? :thinking about:

Priority is at least two quality CB's-one who is a beast in the air, one who can play a bit. Willis also needs to be given a chance as I think he can play the ball out of defence and he is mobile. That I don't want any of our CB's from this season is damning.

We desperately need at least one left-sided attacking midfielder with pace. Ideally we need two of them, one who can play on either side or centrally too as well.

Then we need a striker who can play the "one up" role; as Leon is undoubted first-choice in that role, an old head with massive experience who doesn't expect to play every week would be what I'd target. That or someone younger and capable of playing out wide or in the hole-like that Gareth Evans who we were linked with. Elliott and Wilson are better as a second striker in a withdrawn role or impact-subs.

Then two other centre-midfielders: one who can tackle and pass to a respectable level, something which none of our central midfielders can do. An all-action midfield scrapper that can get forwards like Gary Jones of Bradford did when he was at Rochdale (only younger!). Or a young Lee Bowyer-type. Note that I don't say a defensive midfielder as the fact that Fleck and Barton want to play so deep and Pressley wants us to press high means that a Batty/Makelele is not what we want. The other midfielder is the fabled No.10 that Pressley alluded to last Monday; our best bet for that kind of player given our state is a quality loan from the top flight. Gylfi Sigurdsson of Spurs tore up L2 with Crewe when he was on loan from Reading as a youngster-that's exactly the sort of signing we need for such a key role. We're still a decent club at our level and with Pressley wanting to play good football, we should be a decent attraction to big clubs for that role.

7 key signings, add that to the 13 I'd keep from this season that's 20, make up the 24 with the best of our youngsters-I guess Lobjoit, Haynes and the lads who figured this pre-season and looked lively. Forget the midfielders name but someone will remind me.

7 signings, all of whom need to be better quality signings of all of our signings this season other than McGoldrick and Clarke. Hmm. Loans are going to be crucial I think. Unless Preston is succesful and gives us a reasonable budget-enough for 3 or 4 signings at 100-350k. We feel miles away from that right now!

Mucca Mad Boys

Murphy
Baker
Cyrus
Adams
Jordan
Leon
Wilson
Burge
Willis

Then in the maybe class:

Fleck
Moussa
Elliott

That's 13 players.

Of the latter 3, Elliott has been unlucky with injuries (and hitting the woodwork!) and has done enough for me. Fleck has disappointed but has improved under Pressley-he clearly has ability and potential, but drops too deep to be effective at present. Having no striker to target doesn't help him, but he has creativity. Moussa is close to being a discard for me, but has done enough earlier in the season for me to forgive his poor recent form. Neither he nor Fleck have been suited to our quagmire of a pitch.

I'd be very happy to see the back of all of our loans (Bailey, Martin, Ball) and also:

Jennings (top of my Shit List right now..."poor man's Doyle" is starting to look like a HUGE compliment!).
Bell (one good game and a decent corner a fortnight before does not a season make).
McDonald (can't play as the lone forward; watch him score goals for fun for Gillingham next season..)
Malaga (probably better than the others we have, but it looks like the boat has long sailed for him)

Actually I don't know how Pressley gets 34: that's 27! I guess Cameron too, but he's as good as gone already. Is he counting Phillips as well? Who else? :thinking about:

Priority is at least two quality CB's-one who is a beast in the air, one who can play a bit. Willis also needs to be given a chance as I think he can play the ball out of defence and he is mobile. That I don't want any of our CB's from this season is damning.

We desperately need at least one left-sided attacking midfielder with pace. Ideally we need two of them, one who can play on either side or centrally too as well.

Then we need a striker who can play the "one up" role; as Leon is undoubted first-choice in that role, an old head with massive experience who doesn't expect to play every week would be what I'd target. That or someone younger and capable of playing out wide or in the hole-like that Gareth Evans who we were linked with. Elliott and Wilson are better as a second striker in a withdrawn role or impact-subs.

Then two other centre-midfielders: one who can tackle and pass to a respectable level, something which none of our central midfielders can do. An all-action midfield scrapper that can get forwards like Gary Jones of Bradford did when he was at Rochdale (only younger!). Or a young Lee Bowyer-type. Note that I don't say a defensive midfielder as the fact that Fleck and Barton want to play so deep and Pressley wants us to press high means that a Batty/Makelele is not what we want. The other midfielder is the fabled No.10 that Pressley alluded to last Monday; our best bet for that kind of player given our state is a quality loan from the top flight. Gylfi Sigurdsson of Spurs tore up L2 with Crewe when he was on loan from Reading as a youngster-that's exactly the sort of signing we need for such a key role. We're still a decent club at our level and with Pressley wanting to play good football, we should be a decent attraction to big clubs for that role.

7 key signings, add that to the 13 I'd keep from this season that's 20, make up the 24 with the best of our youngsters-I guess Lobjoit, Haynes and the lads who figured this pre-season and looked lively. Forget the midfielders name but someone will remind me.

7 signings, all of whom need to be better quality signings of all of our signings this season other than McGoldrick and Clarke. Hmm. Loans are going to be crucial I think. Unless Preston is succesful and gives us a reasonable budget-enough for 3 or 4 signings at 100-350k. We feel miles away from that right now!

Agreed, but I'd keep Jennings and I think Stewart wouldn't be too bad a 2nd choice LB.

Keeping Elliott purely depends if we're close to lifting the embargo, if we're not, I'd keep him, just. Fleck isn't a maybe for me, he's a must keep.

Nonleagueherewecome

I really do think Jennings is awful. His last two showings have been pitiful. Can't see what he brings to the side, sorry! Stewart? We can do better. I'd probably go with Haynes over him as backup after a pre-season around the first team squad. There has to be a path to the first team, not packing the squad to oversized with overpaid journeymen.

Nonleagueherewecome

Brilliant!

How so so very true...but also sad to see someone with talent never produce it as he should!

And maybe he can turn it around? Of all those I'd get rid of he's the one I'd consider keeping, partly due to that talent, partly 'cos we probably aint got no bloody choice! Baker has had a good season, for all that he's hit a wall..but I can't see Bell making it to 50 games in a season like Baker has!

Moff

And maybe he can turn it around? Of all those I'd get rid of he's the one I'd consider keeping, partly due to that talent, partly 'cos we probably aint got no bloody choice! Baker has had a good season, for all that he's hit a wall..but I can't see Bell making it to 50 games in a season like Baker has!

I totally agree, but the club need to be realistic in what they offer him (if the do offer him something) such as appearances based or similar, and he will need to show some consistency in games played and performances.

I do hope it works for him, as he has some quality, which in other squad players is sadly lacking.

skybluegod

Surprised people are wanting o get rid of Stewart? He has been alright since being here, he's good cover for LB, he was one of the best players in the first half despite having an injury

skybluegod

Murphy
Baker
Cyrus
Adams
Jordan
Leon
Wilson
Burge
Willis

Then in the maybe class:

Fleck
Moussa
Elliott

That's 13 players.

Your missing ruffels,Thomas,think he is including Haynes and lobjolt, Henderson,Roberts and more u21's so that's probably going to be the 34

Nonleagueherewecome

Surprised people are wanting o get rid of Stewart? He has been alright since being here, he's good cover for LB, he was one of the best players in the first half despite having an injury

You don't get promoted from L1 by signing players who were released by mid-table L1 sides. Neither is a 30-something backup LB a luxury that we can afford.

Nonleagueherewecome

Your missing ruffels,Thomas,think he is including Haynes and lobjolt, Henderson,Roberts and more u21's so that's probably going to be the 34

Ah Ruffles and Thomas. Forgotten men indeed. I thought I heard that Roberts and Henderson are being released? We may as well release Ruffles too and unless we're going to give Thomas a chance, is there any point keeping him?

stupot07

You don't get promoted from L1 by signing players who were released by mid-table L1 sides. Neither is a 30-something backup LB a luxury that we can afford.

Correct....probably room 4/5 youngsters and the other 19-20 need to be providing competition and really putting pressure one the starting 11.

Nonleagueherewecome

Burges, Aaron Phillips and garner as well, I think

Garner was the youngster I forgot. Phillips and Burge don't count as they are not at the club at present-he was talking about organising games of 11 v 11 in training.

Nonleagueherewecome

And I forgot Daniels as well. Easy to do...point stands thought that the vast majority of his "34" are nowhere near the first team and youngsters.

stupot07

And I forgot Daniels as well. Easy to do...point stands thought that the vast majority of his "34" are nowhere near the first team and youngsters.

Very true, but it did sound by what he said at the trust meeting that the 24 would include youngsters too old for the under 18s

jabharty

Keep:
Murphy, Adams, Cyrus, J. Clarke, Baker, Moussa, Fleck, Leon, Elliott; and finally most of the youngsters.
Only players that have particularly stood out for me anyways.
Reserved judgement on Barton. Scores some wonder-goals but is played either out of position or not enough.
Keep Pressley as well. Ridiculous comments to say that we should send him packing. He is adapting to the English game and learning all the time. Lets remember that St Mirren sacked Ferguson and said that he had "no managerial ability", but I may be getting ahead of myself!
In the summer: New left winger, three or four defenders with experience and ability, and a couple of central midfielders.

stupot07

here you go....the 34

1. 1 murphy
2. 2 clarke
3 4 thomas
4 5 camerson
5 6 malaga
6 7 bell
7 8 baker
8 9 cody
9 10 fleck
10 11 sheffers
11 12 Jennings
12 13 dunn
13 14 elliott
14 15 clarke (L)
15 16 barton
16 17 ball
17 18 jeffers
18 19 philliskirk
19 20 wilson
20 21christie
21 22 Ruffels
22 24 Wood
23 25 Edge
24 26 Willis
25 27 Daniels
26 28 Henderson
27 29 Roberts
28 31 Stewart
29 32 Moussa
30 36 Garner
31 38 Bailey
32 39 Adams
33 Burge
34 Aaron Phillips

Nonleagueherewecome

Well if that's the 34, we need to stop dishing out so many pro contracts to players who are never going to be good enough for the first team, as that's where the bulk comes from.

stupot07

the only ones i would definitely keep (if possible) - murphy, christie (he'll be gone), J clarke, adams, baker, thomas, L Clark, wilson and 3-4 of the youngsters. I would have included Moussa but today summed him up, and for me he's flattered to deceive this season. The rest are replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread