FAC Quarter Finals (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

In 140 years we've only ever reached this far on 7 occasions. That seems really low for a club of this size especially when you consider you only need 3 wins to get there if you are playing in the top two leagues.

Can anybody on here lay claim to having attended all of the last 6 of these (the first one was 1909/10!)?

We won't get a much better chance than this season of making it 8.

Last edited:

Sbarcher

I went to all 6 but memory is a little hazy on the 1st one.

hamertime

In 140 years we've only ever reached this far on 6 occasions. That seems really low for a club of this size especially when you consider you only need 3 wins to get there if you are playing in the top two leagues.

Can anybody on here lay claim to having attended all of the last 5 of these (the first one was 1909/10!)?

We won't get a much better chance than this season of making it 7.
It crazy, especially when you look at a club like West Brom who have played in 10 FA Cup finals.

hamertime

One of the reasons we haven’t is because we are always trying to balance the books(line chairman’s pockets) and selling our best players in the season.

Also, we rest our best players in the cup games, i.e. Sheffield Wednesday away. The problem is the fans as most on here are happy for us to sell O’Hare, and were are happy for him to be on the bench on Friday.

Football is about winning things and going for it, our fan base is obsessed with building for the next season and selling players. Basically kicking the can down the road as we lack bollocks to go for something.

Until that changes, we will continue like we have for the rest of our history.

skybluecam

Yes it was.

Hell of a team Chelsea had out that day

Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Alex, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Mikel (Essien 65), Ballack, Malouda, Drogba (Di Santo 80), Kalou (Quaresma 46).
10/11 of those players started either the 2008 or 2012 champions league finals. On reflection 2-0 was a good result!

slowpoke

10/11 of those players started either the 2008 or 2012 champions league finals. On reflection 2-0 was a good result!

We had one chance against the run of play at 0-1 when John Terry slipped letting us in on a one on one can’t remember who it was but he managed to put his shot in the back of the stand.

alexccfc99

Yes it was.

Hell of a team Chelsea had out that day

Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Alex, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Mikel (Essien 65), Ballack, Malouda, Drogba (Di Santo 80), Kalou (Quaresma 46).
Quaresma that is a name I had forgotten all about

SonofErnie

Chelsea barely got out of first gear and did the minimum required to win the match. A Chelsea team playing at full potential would have put 5 or 6 past us

hamertime

Chelsea barely got out of first gear and did the minimum required to win the match. A Chelsea team playing at full potential would have put 5 or 6 past us
There’s the spirit, like they did at Middlesbrough away? Wouldn’t want to be in the trenches with you pal.

lord_garrincha

The Sheffield Utd one was an upsetting one.

From memory... after the Man U game, our performances away from home were superb (Liverpool, Bolton, Villa, Southampton, Palace). Just couldn't finish... Sadly Dave Holdsworth could!

hamertime

If you are talking that Chelsea team they would have been a match for todays Man City
What I’m sayinganyone on their day can cause an upset. Problem is a lot of Coventry fans are pessimistic and weak.

West Ham won the FA Cup as a division two team beating Arsenal. Wigan were already relegated when they beat Man City in the final. Even Sheffield Wednesday won the league cup while in division two.

We have too many company man fans who want to sell our best players for the club to get more money. Like this season hordes of cretins on here want O’Hare to be sold for peanuts under the belief it will all go back into the team for next season.

Bertola

Scott Dan and Ben turner has a shocker as well. Don't mind being out played but simple long balls caught them out time and again as seen in the YouTube clip!

Drogba was an absolute beast that day (he was most days tbf). He bullied the both of them

SBAndy

Genuinely how many of our side then would get into the team we have now? Shows how much football’s moved on, Dann had an easy pass back to the keeper for Drogba’s goal.

NortonSkyBlue

Wolves 73, big let down, massive turn out on the South Bank and very clockwork orange trying to get in and out safely. Wolves were a very good side though, we just didn’t turn up.

baldy

Genuinely how many of our side then would get into the team we have now? Shows how much football’s moved on, Dann had an easy pass back to the keeper for Drogba’s goal.

Well Julian Gray's still here isn't he?

Old Warwickshire lad

Wolves 73, big let down, massive turn out on the South Bank and very clockwork orange trying to get in and out safely. Wolves were a very good side though, we just didn’t turn up.
Think that’s the first one I remember.Bobby Parker was a good footballing centre back. But he should have still cut Richards in half that day.

skybluelee

It crazy, especially when you look at a club like West Brom who have played in 10 FA Cup finals.
Looked up similar sized clubs historically, Leicester and Southampton, and they've been to 18 and 21 QFS (or beyond) respectively. 6 is mental.

Happy_Martian

In 140 years we've only ever reached this far on 6 occasions. That seems really low for a club of this size especially when you consider you only need 3 wins to get there if you are playing in the top two leagues.

And what size is that ? How many times have Norwich, Southampton, Birmingham or Stoke been this far in comparison ?

As fans we like to big ourselves up. But we weren't that good or that big. We struggled for decades in the top flight, breaking into the top 10 once, I think. Says something that we go out in the 3rd Round against non-league opposition more times than I'd like. Success in the past couple of seasons isn't a reflection of where we were, pre SiSu.

Plus, on the entertainment side, getting this far makes it more enjoyable for the fanbase, achieving something we haven't conquered that frequently.

skybluelee

And what size is that ? How many times have Norwich, Southampton, Birmingham or Stoke been this far in comparison ?

As fans we like to big ourselves up. But we weren't that good or that big. We struggled for decades in the top flight, breaking into the top 10 once, I think. Says something that we go out in the 3rd Round against non-league opposition more times than I'd like. Success in the past couple of seasons isn't a reflection of where we were, pre SiSu.

Plus, on the entertainment side, getting this far makes it more enjoyable for the fanbase, achieving something we haven't conquered that frequently.

Norwich 6
Birmingham 19
Stoke 16
Southampton 21
Leicester 18

Nothing to do with 'bigging us up'. For a medium/large-ish club 7 is a pretty low number for 140-odd years, as is Norwich's.

Last edited:

Gynnsthetonic

The 1/4 finals I remember were
West Brom 82
Sheff Wed 87
Sheff Utd 97
Chelsea 09
And before my time Man U 63
Are there anymore
Not counting my chickens as we've got a lot of hard work to do to get there

Users who are viewing this thread