FA Cup Thread: Examples Of Media Writing Us Off (1 Viewer)

Hertsccfc

What endears a player or a manager to fans isn’t achieving what’s expected of you/the squad, it’s pulling off the unexpected. That’s why we cheered louder for the goals against Wolves than Maidstone. And why Robins is a better manager than Kompany.
No it's more about consistently achieving results rather than one off games. Robins biggest achievement is the improvement in our position year on year not the Wolves game. Based on results he has been our most successful manager for decades and Southgate has been England's most successful manager since 1966.

SBT

Denmark were heavy underdogs for that game though. That’s the point. In the actual big game that followed he bottled it.
Robson bottled it against Germany
Venables bottled it against Germany
Hoddle bottled it against Argentina
Keegan bottled it against Romania
Sven bottled it against Portugal (twice)
Capello bottled it against Germany
McClaren bottled it against the rain
Hodgson bottled it against Iceland

Has there ever been an England manager who didn’t “bottle it”? At least Southgate gives me hope that the team is moving in the right direction - none of the guys above ever did.

shmmeee

No it's more about consistently achieving results rather than one off games. Robins biggest achievement is the improvement in our position year on year not the Wolves game. Based on results he has been our most successful manager for decades and Southgate has been England's most successful manager since 1966.

But if we’d pulled the same teams as managers since 1966 he wouldn’t be. It a just luck of the draw which round we get someone better than us.

I’m not a Aouthgate hater, I’m just saying why people don’t love him. We’ve got probably the best squad for 30 years so people will be worried about wasting it. Also he’s just not a very likable character.

Mucca Mad Boys

What endears a player or a manager to fans isn’t achieving what’s expected of you/the squad, it’s pulling off the unexpected. That’s why we cheered louder for the goals against Wolves than Maidstone. And why Robins is a better manager than Kompany.
If that’s the metric we go on, then what England manager has ever been successful?

International football is different - every important game is KO football.

Reactions: SBT

JulianDarbyFTW

Southgate was poor at Middlesborough, and got the England job by default because Big Sam was indiscreet and they needed a stop-gap. In both of his 'successful' tournaments we got very favourable runs to the the latter stages, and I can't recall a game that we won where we'd have traditionally expected to lose apart from Germany, and they were widely accepted as being a very poor German team in comparison to the past. I think he's done ok, but nothing more than that, and I fully believe that any manager out of the 92 league teams could have achieved similar results. Some managers are motivational, some have charm, some have tactical nous, some have stature and respect, and Southgate has a waistcoat and a Pizza Hut advert.

SBT

But if we’d pulled the same teams as managers since 1966 he wouldn’t be. It a just luck of the draw which round we get someone better than us.
I personally don’t think Iceland were better than us in 2016. Nor Romania in 2000, or Portugal in 2004.

Sometimes feels like Southgate gets criticised for a record that his predecessors could only dream of.

Mucca Mad Boys

I’m not a Aouthgate hater, I’m just saying why people don’t love him. We’ve got probably the best squad for 30 years so people will be worried about wasting it. Also he’s just not a very likable character.
I can’t see how anyone could argue our team between 2018-2024 is better than the ‘Golden Generation’.

Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney, Beckham and of course, Heskey!

Our current team is mostly younger players yet to hit their primes. With the exception of Kane, our defenders and GK. We have plenty of upcoming talent coming through but we’re not there yet.

Our defence was much stronger back then and it’s not even close.

mmttww

Southgate was poor at Middlesborough, and got the England job by default because Big Sam was indiscreet and they needed a stop-gap. In both of his 'successful' tournaments we got very favourable runs to the the latter stages, and I can't recall a game that we won where we'd have traditionally expected to lose apart from Germany, and they were widely accepted as being a very poor German team in comparison to the past. I think he's done ok, but nothing more than that, and I fully believe that any manager out of the 92 league teams could have achieved similar results. Some managers are motivational, some have charm, some have tactical nous, some have stature and respect, and Southgate has a waistcoat and a Pizza Hut advert.

People just don't like the bloke. I'd respect someone saying that, can't be arsed with the qualification of every fucken thing he's done. Dull as sh*t. His record stands up to scrutiny vs. any England manager in my lifetime.

mmttww

btw, if we're qualifying stuff that Managers do, Robins...

- didn't get the team to the Checkatrade final and took us down to L2.
- was lucky vs. Notts County and sneaked the playoffs last minute.
- only settled on the box formation because the wingers got injured.
- only won L1 title thanks to Covid and it'll always has an asterix.
- got lucky with Vik and Hamer and rode them to Wembley.
- fluked a turnaround this season by stumbling on 433 by accident.

Turns out, this 'twist stuff till it suits how I feel' thing is pretty easy. Y'all just wish you could pull off a waistcoat, basically.

Hertsccfc

I can’t see how anyone could argue our team between 2018-2024 is better than the ‘Golden Generation’.

Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney, Beckham and of course, Heskey!

Our current team is mostly younger players yet to hit their primes. With the exception of Kane, our defenders and GK. We have plenty of upcoming talent coming through but we’re not there yet.

Our defence was much stronger back then and it’s not even close.
Yes. And people say how great Venables was in 96 but he had Gascoigne, Shearer, Sherringham and a much stronger defence and goalkeeeper than Southgate has ever had.

We have the potential to be very strong over the next few years as players like Bellinghsm and Foden reach their prime but how long has Kane got left at that level. It's not true that Southall has had better players than other managers who achieved far less.

Most England managers in my lifetime have been dreadful and unsuccessful in major tournaments. Objectively Southall has the best record.

Last edited:

baldy

Yes. And people say how great Venables was in 96 but he had Gascoigne, Shearer, Sherringham and a much stronger defence and goalkeeeper than Southgate has ever had.

We have the potential to be very strong over the next few years as players like Bellinghsm and Foden reach their prime but how long has Kane got left at that level. It's not true that Southall has had better players than other managers who achieved far less.

Most England managers in my lifetime have been dreadful and unsuccessful in major tournaments. Objectively Southall has the best record.

Neville Southall's now England manager?

JulianDarbyFTW

People just don't like the bloke. I'd respect someone saying that, can't be arsed with the qualification of every fucken thing he's done. Dull as sh*t. His record stands up to scrutiny vs. any England manager in my lifetime.

It has nothing to do with liking him or not. It's not like I'm going to marry him. He had no success in club football, and as of yet he's had no success in international football. The best thing he's done is instill some standards and pride in wearing the shirt, which is great to see, but hardly worthy of worship. I wonder how many Southgate supporters would want him to replace Mark Robins if the chance arose. I'm guessing pretty much the square root of fuck all.

usskyblue

btw, if we're qualifying stuff that Managers do, Robins...

- didn't get the team to the Checkatrade final and took us down to L2.
- was lucky vs. Notts County and sneaked the playoffs last minute.
- only settled on the box formation because the wingers got injured.
- only won L1 title thanks to Covid and it'll always has an asterix.
- got lucky with Vik and Hamer and rode them to Wembley.
- fluked a turnaround this season by stumbling on 433 by accident.

Turns out, this 'twist stuff till it suits how I feel' thing is pretty easy. Y'all just wish you could pull off a waistcoat, basically.

lkTJ9a.gif

procdoc

Southgate is shit. I don’t get the love in for the boring bastard.
If he was a Tesco meal deal he’d be a ham and cheese sandwich, packet of plain crisps and a bottle of water.
And I bet he has sex with his socks on and only does missionary

blunted

To get back to the media question. You know ITV are going to do all Man U in the build up. Little Coventry might get a mention that MR saved Fergie's job. Might mention Hadji Wright for his USA exploits. Despite our tie being the most interesting to the neutral BBC chose the boring Man City v Chelsea tie. Football is so far up the Premier Leagues arse they can't see anything passed the top division.

Users who are viewing this thread