FA CUP First Round Draw (1 Viewer)

scroobiustom

who the fuck are Arlesley Town!?

shy_tall_knight

Arlesey is a small industrial town and civil parish in the district of Central Bedfordshire in Bedfordshire. It is located near the border with Hertfordshire, about three miles north-west of Letchworth Garden City, four miles north of Hitchin and six miles south of Biggleswade. Arlesey railway station provides train services to London, Peterborough and Stevenage. The station opened in 1988 under Network South East. The old station was called Arlesey & Henlow and was shut to passengers in the 1960's. Arlesey Town Football Club has their ground to the south of the town.
The Domesday Book mentions Arlesey as a market town. Residents have claimed it to be the longest town in Britain[citation needed].
St Peter's Church, situated in the Church End part of the town, was built in the 12th century by the monks of Waltham Abbey. Arlesey was the site of Etonbury Castle, of which little trace remains.
Arlesey Old Moat and Glebe Meadows nature reserves are just north of the town.
Major employers in Arlesey used to be the Fairfield Hospital (now re-developed as Fairfield Park) and the former brickworks (producers of the Arlesey Whites bricks seen in many local buildings). Some of the clay pits used by the brickworks are now lakes and there are also two disused Portland Cement Company chalk pits, one of which is the Blue Lagoon, which hosts fishing and sailing clubs. Although the lake is private, large numbers of people go there to swim. There have been a number of drownings that have been reported in the national news. In 2001 three children died when the car they were in was accidentally driven into the lake.[2] Most recently a teenager drowned while swimming in April 2007.[3]

spwaverley4916

do you think that the crowd will top 2000? - shame its not at their place the atmosphere would have been a lot better (atleast the ground would have been full with about 400 sky blue army gooing there

The Reverend Skyblue

I said when i saw there name in the draw, that i'd love to draw Arlesey away as in the early eighties i played there loads of times when i used to play for Brackley Town in the United Counties league. There was a main line railtrack that ran along one side of the ground, and when a train hurtled past, if the driver sounded his horn it made you jump out your skin.

Hopefully they won't get a replay,if they do it will be regarded a disaster ,as there ground was very basic, back then there was just a tiny stand , so if there still at the same ground it will be a lot of standing if we have to go there, though they have got to a higher standard now so they might have built up the ground a bit.It was just amazing that when i saw there name at the start of the draw, i said to the missus i would love to go there again, and they came out, though we have them at home

It also really hit home how low we have gone, when you see so many little town sides in the same draw as the once mighty skyblues.I've got to say if we don't put more than five past them it will be a bad day at the office

The Rev

Last edited:

pusbccfc

How about this for a fact of the day!
Their population is over 1000 less than the village of balsall common...

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I'm guessing that we don't know much about them as no one's spelled their name right yet...

Astute

Better not turn up for this one. Don't want anyone accusing me of jumping on the bandwagon

ccfcway

"My mum says if you dont drink your milk and play to your full potential, instead of walking around the pitch not caring, you will only be good enough to play against Arlesley Town"

"Arlesley Town, who are they ?"

"Exactly"

wingy

Shhhh don't mention mental, Fairfields hospital (the towns biggest employer) was a nut job asylum til 1999 :whistle:

What do we have "The CaludonCentre",so they have been bigger than us in the past having a whole asylum to themselves.Wonder what percentage of CCFC fans could be accommodated in the Caludon Centre.:whistle:;)

Users who are viewing this thread