Fa cup final (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Difference is Fergie built something incredible from a much more level playing field. They spent big because they earned it and weren't handed a blank cheque by a tycoon. Same for Wenger's Arsenal of the late 90s and early 00s. Now it's what happens when you give yourself billions on a manager game. It gets boring after a few seasons.

Some good points all of which I would agree with though I think there's a bit more to it than that.
I think the identity of their support was based on defiance and big fuck you to their more illustrious neighbours who's support they said was full of glory hunters and tourists.
Now the defiance has gone because there's no need for it and the tourists have arrived.

olderskyblue

Might have been more level than now back in the day, but still a huge difference between the haves and the have nots

Brighton Sky Blue

Some good points all of which I would agree with though I think there's a bit more to it than that.
I think the identity of their support was based on defiance and big fuck you to their more illustrious neighbours who's support they said was full of glory hunters and tourists.
Now the defiance has gone because there's no need for it and the tourists have arrived.

The film 'There's only one Jimmy Grimble' showed that quite well. Citeh's transformation is football's transformation-and the rise of RB Leipzig shows that even the German game isn't immune to it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Might have been more level than now back in the day, but still a huge difference between the haves and the have nots

United had a lot because they built a successful commercial operation, a lot like Bayern. It wasn't a blank cheque from an oil baron.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Difference is Fergie built something incredible from a much more level playing field. They spent big because they earned it and weren't handed a blank cheque by a tycoon. Same for Wenger's Arsenal of the late 90s and early 00s. Now it's what happens when you give yourself billions on a manager game. It gets boring after a few seasons.

Yeah, it has now become more like Football Manager where you've got the game editor and given yourself huge amounts of cash, looked up all the player stats in the editor and then signed in as manager of a second team to buy all your crap players on massively over-inflated prices.

I've said before and I'll say again - I want to see Pep in charge of a bang/below average team with a limited budget and see how his style of play works then.

Users who are viewing this thread