FA Cup classic finals (1 Viewer)

crowsnest

showing the 1987 cup final on Sunday morning 6:30am on BBC 2

Malaka

There was a doc on BBC the other night, motty said that 87 was a final for the purists. Personally I was watching it terrified, I didn't think we could win and then was elated and then terrified.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Must record that then,I haven't sat down and watched it fully for 20 years.
What a great day out apart from being on the train that got stuck at Rugby !!!

WestEndAgro

I'm going today, first trip to Wembley since 87, always hated the Villa but it turns out my grandad was born in Aston (I know, that's what I thought) so do I shout for them or Arsenal ?

Astute

I'm going today, first trip to Wembley since 87, always hated the Villa but it turns out my grandad was born in Aston (I know, that's what I thought) so do I shout for them or Arsenal ?

Depends on if you want to shout 'Up the Arse'

mrtrench

I'll be shouting for Villa today. It's a Midlands club and the underdog; have never understood the antagonism from City fans towards them. Maybe it's because they were in Div 2 when I stated supporting City... it was always Leicester that we chanted against back then. Having said that, I like Leicester doing well too.

Astute

I'll be shouting for Villa today. It's a Midlands club and the underdog; have never understood the antagonism from City fans towards them. Maybe it's because they were in Div 2 when I stated supporting City... it was always Leicester that we chanted against back then. Having said that, I like Leicester doing well too.

To me other than being a local derby it comes from them calling us shit for a lot of years and not being able to argue the point. It took us until 1998 IIRC to win at their ground. Thanks Moldovan :D Strachan had to get something right :(

oscillatewildly

They are the biggest club in the region, because of that they take away some of the potential local support. This happens all over the country of course - Hartlepool/Darlington losing it to Newcastle/Sunderland, Colchester will lose it to Ipswich/West Ham. I'd like to think this is the main reason we dislike them (I've softened my 'hatred' for them as the years have passed)
It's a tricky one, as you point out they are the underdogs so it should be a no brainer, but I don't necessarily go along with the notion of them being a fellow Midlands club so we have to get behind them. There is also the little stat of us being the last Midlands club to have won the thing. I'll feel a little sorry for them if they lose having contributed to a good final, probably a bit scathing if they win having had more than their fair slice of luck!

Sbarcher

Just read that Abide With Me will be sung by a rep from the 64 teams in the 3rd round. Wondered who it would be from us, then the nightmare reappeared.....

Kilclines curly mullet

Watching it now on the planner. Was at the game but only 8 at the time so don't remember much of the actual day. Something that has always bugged me...does anyone know why some of the Spurs players didn't have a sponsor on their shirts ? Imagine this happening today with all the money involved.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Watching now, forgot about Kilclines great introduction of the players and looking at their squad, all internationals except Mitchell, I know I was their and believed it looking back, it was a bloody miracle.

Watching it now on the planner. Was at the game but only 8 at the time so don't remember much of the actual day. Something that has always bugged me...does anyone know why some of the Spurs players didn't have a sponsor on their shirts ? Imagine this happening today with all the money involved.

I heard this a few years ago, apparently they didn't have enough sponsored shirts so had to use plain ones as well, so just a big cock up sisu style, lol

jimmyhillsfanclub

The shirt thing was due to mabbutt being diabetic apparently . .. refused to wear it and some team mates showed him solidarity

jimmyhillsfanclub

I was told that in a pub years ago and have only just questioned it's validity....A quick Google would suggest I was fed bull.....

Users who are viewing this thread