F1 2023 (1 Viewer)

tisza

Let's face it. He's going to win every race left this season.

The FIA may not want to accept it, but if they don't do something, their sport isn't going to be worth the paper. TV audiences aren't going to put up with this level of dominance. It's bad for the product.
Changed the rules to slow down Mercedes for this reason so makes sense to do the same now. But in a budget capped sport fingers have to be pointed at all the other teams for allowing this gap - particularly the big money teams like Mercedes & Ferrari. Don't mind so much him winning every race if the top 6 are covered by 10-15 seconds ie competitive. I've only watched 2 full races this year - GB & Hungary for personal interest.

tisza

People stuck with it through Mercs dominance. And Red Bulls before that. And Ferraris before that.

All we hear on Sky is that attendances at race weekends are going up and up year on year too. I get what you are saying in that it’s a snooze fest with MVs dominance but I think F1 will always have the following it does.
People weren't necessarily sticking with it through Mercedes dominance. TV viewing had slumped from 600 million per year to around 350 million by the time Liberty bought F1. Even now they've only recovered to 450 million and that's with all the extra races & new markets.
What F1 has done to boost track attendances is a lot more to do with the off-track entertainment raceday experience. European attendances are swelled by Verstappen supporters being easily able to reach most tracks.
Sky have to hype it but their commentators/pundits were first among those calling for rule changes to challenge the Mercedes dominance.

Paul Anthony

People stuck with it through Mercs dominance. And Red Bulls before that. And Ferraris before that.

All we hear on Sky is that attendances at race weekends are going up and up year on year too. I get what you are saying in that it’s a snooze fest with MVs dominance but I think F1 will always have the following it does.

Thing is, from what I've seen, tv audiences ARE dropping. I saw a figure from the US (a market we're always told is crucial to F1) that says just that.

Besides, this is a whole new level of dominance. And thanks to the structure of the rules, it is HIGHLY likely to be in place until at least 2026 now. Thanks to the budget cap alone makes it almost impossible for anyone to close the defecit.
People may say that you can't punish Red Bull for nailing it. But, that's what the FIA have always ended up having to do. They did it for Ferrari, they did it for Mercedes, and they did it because they knew it was damaging to the sport.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

With it being an almost foregone conclusion and long-term the attitude towards internal combustion I can definitely see some sort of merger between FE and F1.

Grendel

I’ve wondered why I’ve suddenly developed an interest in F1

As we are discussing the gurney eakin situation a realisation has dawned

Naomi Shiff has a fantastic interview style which is encouraging me to watch it

Evo1883

Isn't max just doing what Lewis was doing ? Smashing everything because he's in the best car and is the best of the drivers in that car ?

tisza

Isn't max just doing what Lewis was doing ? Smashing everything because he's in the best car and is the best of the drivers in that car ?
Yep just at another level because in this "round" of new regulations Newey has absolutely nailed it. Red Bull is an incredible car but also Mercedes have made an absolute mess of the last few years.
Mercedes lost some key designers & engineers particularly to Red Bull for this round of F1 regulations.
When Lewis was dominant Red Bull were a much more dangerous challenger than anyone is offering Red Bull ATM.
Was talking to various F1 people in Budapest a couple of weeks back and they don't see any changes or significant closing of the gap to Red Bull for at least a couple of years.

Paul Anthony

Well that was finally a GP worth watching

The whole season was crying out for a race like that. I can't remember the last time I actually watched a race from start to finish, but I was totally engrossed in that.

Suppose it's too much to ask for that to carry on for the rest of the season.

Paul Anthony

Personally suspect it might be something a little more localised than the new technical directive, like when Mercedes turned up in Singapore back in 2015 having dominated the season to that point and then just couldn't get it working at all. That seems to be the current theory among engineers around the paddock, as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to think that it's some magic bullet that caught them out because the sport would be so much better for it, but I just don't buy it yet, especially as their race pace was actually pretty decent in the end (except when they were on those worn hard tyres).

Si80

So pleased for Sainz to finally put an end to Max’s dominance, an absolutely brilliant drive and last 10 laps.
Also gutted for George, can’t help but feel that if Merc put the call in to just finish 3 & 4 he’d not have felt the pressure from Lewis and would’ve brought the car home.

Saddlebrains

George for me is crumbling under Lewis this season. Now Lewis is more at one with the car I don't think George is on his level over a race distance. One lap speed certainly, not a race. Seems to me George just wants to show he's better and he just isn't. Yet.

All eyes on Suzuka next week to see if this Technical Directive has hobbled Red Bull or if Singapore was a one off

tisza

George for me is crumbling under Lewis this season. Now Lewis is more at one with the car I don't think George is on his level over a race distance. One lap speed certainly, not a race. Seems to me George just wants to show he's better and he just isn't. Yet.

All eyes on Suzuka next week to see if this Technical Directive has hobbled Red Bull or if Singapore was a one off
Think he's more obsessed/ worried about racing Hamilton than the race in general. It's also where Perez has collapsed - competing with Verstappen before he has even got the rest of the field beat.

SkyBlueSoul

Happened to wake up stupidly early today so grabbed my laptop instead of going back to sleep and watched quali. Last race I watched live was Silverstone, normally catch up on quali and races through highlights since it just became the Verstappen show. As expected Max gets pole by 0.5s but pleased for McLaren, look a lot better since I last paid proper attention. That being said, doubt I'll be setting my alarm for 6am.

One thing I did note was how little Max was shown during the session, they seem to have wised up to the fact people are bored of him. Was just used as a reference point for how quick other drivers were.

NorthernWisdom

Firstly, what are the teams complaining about that another team might be joining? We need more depth, a bit more unpredictability, we need more than one new team really! Closed shop is pretty shoddy.

Secondly, what's with a track where so many lap times are deleted? Stick some gravel or something to slow them down if they go off the track, don't expect it all to be done on computer - when they interviewed Piastri yesterday and promptly told him well done - nah, only joking it was ridiculous.

Thirdly, well done to Piastri who's starting to mature nicely. Bet he's glad he wasn't held to Alpine...

Paul Anthony

Firstly, what are the teams complaining about that another team might be joining? We need more depth, a bit more unpredictability, we need more than one new team really! Closed shop is pretty shoddy.

There's an absolute classic from Horner today where he says Andretti should build their own engine before they enter the sport.

Considering Red Bull entered F1 as a full team in 2005 and have used their own engines precisely.... Never. Even now, their "own" engine is a rebadged Honda.

Reality is we all know why other teams don't want a new entry. It means they have to adjust how much prize money is paid out.

Paul Anthony

Although they did buy Jaguar of course, so didn't enter from scratch!

They didn't, but then again I don't recall him kicking up a fuss when Haas entered using Ferrari engines, although at that point he was probably too busy moaning about Renault!

NorthernWisdom

They didn't, but then again I don't recall him kicking up a fuss when Haas entered using Ferrari engines, although at that point he was probably too busy moaning about Renault!
tbf to him, he seems one of the more moderate ones in opposition to Andretti!

Bet if they were just Chevrolet he'd be less concerned. They seem remarkably averse to teams nowadays, want manufacturers. And that's all well and good until they all pull out because of the cost...

Users who are viewing this thread