Experience needed? (1 Viewer)

Fergusons_Beard

It’s clear to most of us (& yesterday MR alluded to it) that we are in desperate need for a few more options in our squad.

A couple of injuries and suspensions happen and we down to bare bones.

We need to be competitive.

So is it worth offering short term deals to Daniel Sturridge and Jack Wilshere to boost our squad.

Lots of pros and cons.

Yes or No-thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pastythegreat

It’s clear to most of us (& yesterday MR alluded to it) that we are in desperate need for a few more options in our squad.

So is it worth offering short term deals to Daniel Sturridge and Jack Wilshere to boost our squad.

Lots of pros and cons.

Yes or No-thoughts?

We couldn't afford the medical bill of one of them, let alone both of them!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

RFC

Lots of pros and cons.

Yes or No-thoughts?

edgy

Regardless of the player, I dont quite get the arguement of "we cant afford the wages".

Free agents, by nature, arn't earning a wage. And if they haven't got a club at this stage in the season, then they're not going to inundated by offers.

So unless they are ready to retire, then our £X a week is surely better than their current £0 a week?

Brighton Sky Blue

Regardless of the player, I dont quite get the arguement of "we cant afford the wages".

Free agents, by nature, arn't earning a wage. And if they haven't got a club at this stage in the season, then they're not going to inundated by offers.

So unless they are ready to retire, then our £X a week is surely better than their current £0 a week?

If we came in with an offer it would just start the bidding from clubs who can offer more

ccfcway

or it’s because they don’t have to accept any offer, they are both multi millionaires and don’t have to work again so can be very picky about where they go

edgy

Why does it take an offer from us to start a bidding war for a free agent?

The player's agents will have contacted many clubs months ago. None of those clubs fancied taking the player on (the most likely situation) or they didnt want to match wage demands at that time.

So the player has to decide, do I want to play or not. If he wants to play then previous wage demands cant be taken into consideration now.

pastythegreat

Their agents will also be saying that once you sign a cheap deal, you won't be able to then sign the better deal when/if a club with more money comes in with an offer.

If you have a certain skill and know you could earn £1k+ per week, would you start a new job for a minimum of 12 months say, on £400 a week because you were momentarily unemployed?

edgy

Their agents will also be saying that once you sign a cheap deal, you won't be able to then sign the better deal when/if a club with more money comes in with an offer.

If you have a certain skill and know you could earn £1k+ per week, would you start a new job for a minimum of 12 months say, on £400 a week because you were momentarily unemployed?

Depends on how long you think that "moment" will last. If their skills were still worth that "£1k" per week, then they wouldve still been in employement.

pastythegreat

Depends on how long you think that "moment" will last. If their skills were still worth that "£1k" per week, then they wouldve still been in employement.
As a footballer with their ability, youve got to back yourself that with injuries and Covid etc, come January you SHOULD be able to pick up a lower half Premier league deal. To sign for a Premier league club for 6 months would still make them at least treble what we could offer them for 12 months.

IF come January you still have no offers, THEN you'd look in to lowering your demands. Moving lower down the pyramid, accepting a lesser wage. All of this also depends if you actually want to carry on working or if you just want to retire.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

The player's agents will have contacted many clubs months ago. None of those clubs fancied taking the player on (the most likely situation) or they didnt want to match wage demands at that time.

So the player has to decide, do I want to play or not. If he wants to play then previous wage demands cant be taken into consideration now.

Or the agent comes to us and suggests the player’s interested just so we offer and get the ball rolling. Standard practice

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

In a forum full of strange threads this is right up there. Two players who's most recent contract has probably seen them earn around £100k a week being suggested as suitable experience for a team scrapping near the foot of the Championship table, then someone suggesting that we can afford their wages as they're not earning anything currently. I don't think Pochettino is currently applying for jobs at his local Co-op.

Jamesimus

In a forum full of strange threads this is right up there. Two players who's most recent contract has probably seen them earn around £100k a week being suggested as suitable experience for a team scrapping near the foot of the Championship table, then someone suggesting that we can afford their wages as they're not earning anything currently. I don't think Pochettino is currently applying for jobs at his local Co-op.

He could probably get a decent management job at Co-op thanks to his experience, so personally I think he should at least try if he's struggling...

fernandopartridge

Ignoring the other points already made, neither Wilshere or Sturridge has any experience of a newly promoted team struggling towards the bottom of the Championship.

D

Deleted member 2477

You have started another thread telling everyone to stay calm with the team. Perhaps you need to remind yourself of it

chiefdave

Your making the assumption that they've had no offers from elsewhere. Could well be they've had offers with big wages from places like China or the US and are just taking their time deciding what to do. Even if they haven't they might be doing media work which is more attractive to them than a relegation battle.

Pretty sure Robins isn't sat on a big pile of cash refusing to sign players. He was happy to cast aside players who got us from L2 to L1, no reason to think he wouldn't do the same now if he had the funds available.

Hadji's_Goatee

Lots of pros and cons.

Yes or No-thoughts?

giphy.gif

Jamieb87ccfc

If we did want experience it would by better going for Jackson Irvine & Andy King or Huddleston and eve there wages would sadly be too high for us.

Users who are viewing this thread