Expectations (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I expect relegation this season with no real fight against it, only the acceptance shown so far. Relegation from a poor division and we are by rank the worst in that division by a distance.

Never thought in all my years I would see this fate for our team. To do it without a real fight is criminal and hurts. Very, very sad

Next season I doubt will be anything more than a struggle to begin with, with perhaps mid table conclusion. The worrying thing for me is that another heralded new start is based on relegation to the bottom division. Ambition? Plan? Drive? ~ not a bit of it only an ever shrinking football club

The appointment of robins probably gives us the best chance of improving results but I have no confidence in that. It may be we win more games next season but come on that's Ccfc winning some games in the 4th division .........

Last edited:

Adge

Not sure about this 3 years etc that people are banging on about. If Robins and "his" team are not banging on the door of the playoffs around Christmas time then for me that will not be acceptable. We need to be up there and competing at the top end(but I'm not sure we will be) as if it goes beyond a season or two we will sink without a trace into oblivion.

dongonzalos

Disagree with this. If a player's doing well the way the team is set up has to be part of it unless they've spent a career banging in the goals regardless.
I expect relegation this season with no real fight against it, only the acceptance shown so far. Relegation from a poor division and we are by rank the worst in that division by a distance.

Never thought in all my years I would see this fate for our team. To do it without a real fight is criminal and hurts. Very, very sad

Next season I doubt will be anything more than a struggle to begin with, with perhaps mid table conclusion. The worrying thing for me is that another heralded new start is based on relegation to the bottom division. Ambition? Plan? Drive? ~ not a bit of it only an ever shrinking football club

The appointment of robins probably gives us the best chance of improving results but I have no confidence in that. It may be we win more games next season but come on that's Ccfc winning some games in the 4th division .........

Exactly what I have been trying to say but worded far better.
I am just concerned that due to Robins' previous spell people have these false expectations of what he can actually do. He had a very good 7-8 players and added the missing ingredients with 3 good signings.
He didn't do any good at Scunthorpe or Huddersfield and this has been highlighted by the performances of the managers who followed him.
When as I expect we are not steam rolling division 4 next season. I don't want to hear people demanding he is sacked and we start from scratch again.
The problem lies with how the club is run and we need a manager, who can work round that over a prolonged period of time.

Last edited:

thekidfromstrettoncamp

After this season my expectations are at best survival crowds will be lower less (no) spending if you believe Fishface he always tells the truth I remember when we won the cup Snoz said he could shop at Harrords now we cannot even shop at Aldi were in the bins round the back searching

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Not sure about this 3 years etc that people are banging on about. If Robins and "his" team are not banging on the door of the playoffs around Christmas time then for me that will not be acceptable. We need to be up there and competing at the top end(but I'm not sure we will be) as if it goes beyond a season or two we will sink without a trace into oblivion.

Think you will find yourself demanding our 17th manager in 17 years next season then.

Paxman II

I think Robin's does have some good organisation skills and man management skill. With that that I share some optimism for league 2.
The fact he has from now to work things out and identify targets, and for once get ahead of the game i think we will have a good season finally albeit in the fourth tier.
I expect better than mid table and would even put a bet on that promotion could be achieved realistically. But it is the 4th tier we are talking about. But better the team that grows in confidence from winning and bringing that mentality up through the divisions aka Bournemouth and others. The issue still not resolved though and hampering much of that will be SISU and the reluctance to back the club. Can it be done in spite of them? Maybe yes. If not I can only see the last rights being read to this football club as dwindling support sees no more than a few thousand attending at the Ricoh.

Grendel

Attention seeking waffle

stupot07

Just to repeat, regardless of whether we think we will struggle next season, its thr fact we will be Coventry City, 'massive club' for league two standards that will bring with expectations not whether Robins is viewed as a miracle worker. Even pompy have sacked managers for failing since they have been on league two, before they got cook in (finished 6th last season, currently 3rd). I'm sure if they were in the bottom half, he'd be gone as rightly Portsmouth see themselves as a big club (for league two) and expect to fighting for promotion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dongonzalos

Just to repeat, regardless of whether we think we will struggle next season, its thr fact we will be Coventry City, 'massive club' for league two standards that will bring with expectations not whether Robins is viewed as a miracle worker. Even pompy have sacked managers for failing since they have been on league two, before they got cook in (finished 6th last season, currently 3rd). I'm sure if they were in the bottom half, he'd be gone as rightly Portsmouth see themselves as a big club (for league two) and expect to fighting for promotion.

They don't have our owners

Ash

This was the team he inherited in division 3, when he performed his 'miracle' last time

Joe Murphy - probably the best keeper at that level at that time
Jordan Clarke - a good enough Right back for division 3
The Edge - proven to be not good enough.
Richard Wood - played above that level after that season
Chris Hussey - proved at Bury he was good enough at that level.
Baker we all have seen what he went onto do at MK Dons a top midfiekdecat that level at the time
Jennings - average at that level
DMC - had started to score and scored a wonder goal before Robins came. Was a striker that was well above that level at that time.
Cody - who proved he was good enough at that level consistently scoring 1 in 3 after leaving us.

He added
Adams
Moussa
Bailey

All good signings
He signed about 3-4 poor signings.

He didn't do too bad in what he inherited.

As I say average Mansger we shouldn't expect miracles this season or next and hope he gets 3 years

What a load of bollocks! 6 of those players mentioned were getting beaten in the championship every week and also struggling in league 1 until he came in and sorted them out. To suggest that he only did well because of what he inherited is madness!

stupot07

They don't have our owners
No they had the constraints of fan ownership and working on a balanced budget. They also have nearly double out attendance's, and triple what I expect we'll get next season. You can point at the owners all you want, but fact is we will be a massive club for league two standards and nothing is going to stop fans expecting a promotion push and being pissed off if we're middling to lower in the table. Half the league get crowds of just 2-3k.

Add to that We will undoubtedly be one of the preseason bookies favourites, which isn't going to do a lot to temper expectations

Brighton Sky Blue

Sums up my thoughts exactly. I don't care when we lose, and though wins are nice in the long term they mean absolutely nothing for a club that will never own its ground and has owners who display no interest in footballing success. We now have the likes of Bournemouth and Burnley competing comfortably in the top flight while we fight for scraps in League fucking 2, and nobody but a few thousand of the hardcore cares anymore.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

If we went into League 2 next season with this squad I would expect us to really struggle and possibly be relegated into the non-League even with Robins. The quality of this squad is so poor that most of the players are National League level. Some of those who do have more quality are mentally weak and are so shell-shocked by the endless string of defeats that they appear to have forgotten how to win matches. That's why it is absolutely essential that there is a near total clear out of the playing staff in the close season. If Robins is given decent backing (a massive "if" given our owners) and recruits well then I would expect a top 8 finish next season. However this is guess work and we simply don't know (a) what resources Robins will have and (b) how he will use those resources. What we can be sure about is that the current squad would be struggling in League 2 as they would struggle in any professional league.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

I think Robin's does have some good organisation skills and man management skill. With that that I share some optimism for league 2.
The fact he has from now to work things out and identify targets, and for once get ahead of the game i think we will have a good season finally albeit in the fourth tier.
I expect better than mid table and would even put a bet on that promotion could be achieved realistically. But it is the 4th tier we are talking about. But better the team that grows in confidence from winning and bringing that mentality up through the divisions aka Bournemouth and others. The issue still not resolved though and hampering much of that will be SISU and the reluctance to back the club. Can it be done in spite of them? Maybe yes. If not I can only see the last rights being read to this football club as dwindling support sees no more than a few thousand attending at the Ricoh.
I agree with that. It really is make or break now, if SISU backed Robins and we got promoted out of League 2 at the first attempt then I could see a bit more optimism at all levels. If however we struggle in League 2 that is the lowest the club has been since the 19th century and I think we are talking of possible endgame.

dadgad

I have zero expectations of Ccfc even existing next year.
Robins is only here because SISU still owe him from last tim

dongonzalos

No they had the constraints of fan ownership and working on a balanced budget. They also have nearly double out attendance's, and triple what I expect we'll get next season.

( Yep like I said they don't have our owners)

You can point at the owners all you want,

( I will thanks considering that they are the main reason for our attendances and that we are about to enter division 4)

but fact is we will be a massive club for league two standards and nothing is going to stop fans expecting a promotion push
and being pissed off if we're middling to lower in the table. Half the league get crowds of just 2-3k.

Add to that We will undoubtedly be one of the preseason bookies favourites, which isn't going to do a lot to temper expectations

( I had that expectation in the championship and Division 3, I have learnt my lesson this time round)

Also the hype about MR from first time round raises this false expectation

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
No they had the constraints of fan ownership and working on a balanced budget. They also have nearly double out attendance's, and triple what I expect we'll get next season. You can point at the owners all you want, but fact is we will be a massive club for league two standards and nothing is going to stop fans expecting a promotion push and being pissed off if we're middling to lower in the table. Half the league get crowds of just 2-3k.

To be fair though if Ccfc get off to a poor start then those expectations from fans and bookies will fade pretty rapidly.

We will be seen as a big team and that could easily hamper progress against teams who will raise their game. Not to mention the echoing support of a less than quarter filled stadium. The expectation needs to be managed. It won't be.

Reality is we are not a big team any more (though we like to think it or portray it because of recent history) but in L2 we will be seen as such because of the potential albeit low fan numbers. Which makes us vulnerable unless manager directors and owners get it right for a change. L2 is going to be tough and real physical battle. Many of the other teams will look at a decent match pay day and do us no favours in league that is physical and largely poor standard.

Expectation is built by history and fan numbers but it is stoked by things like directors making promises of the right tools. We all know how many times we have heard those promises and look where we are

Last edited:

Jimmy Hill's Chin

To be fair though if Ccfc get off to a poor start then those expectations from fans and bookies will fade pretty rapidly. We will be seen as a big team and that could easily hamper progress against teams who will raise their game. Not to mention the echoing support of a less than quarter filled stadium. The expectation needs to be managed. It won't be. Reality is we are not a big team any more (though we like to think it or portray it because of recent history)which makes us vulnerable unless manager directors and owners get it right for a change. L2 is going to be tough and real physical battle. Many of the other teams will look at a decent match pay day and do us no favours in league that is physical and largely poor standard.

Expectation is built by history but it stoked by things like directors making promises of the right tools
Maybe not a big team at the moment but let's not kid ourselves. Our potential fan base is a damn site bigger than most clubs in League 2 and we are a club based in a one club city which is in the top 10 biggest cities in England. I could mention that we have won the FA Cup in living memory and spent 34 consecutive years in the top division. I appreciate that we are virtually unrecognisable from then but the potential remains enormous if we ever get it right. I'm never going to just accept we are a smaller club than most of the clubs in League Two however bad it gets, even if we are playing on the park with jumpers for goalposts. That sort of thinking is what has got us where we are today.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Agree we should be a big team. There is some potential but there must be reasons why that has not been harnessed in 40 years. We go in to L2 thinking we are bigger than the rest and that leads to the wrong thinking and weakness not strength. Concentrate on being the best not the biggest

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Agree we should be a big team. There is some potential but there must be reasons why that has not been harnessed in 40 years. We go in to L2 thinking we are bigger than the rest and that leads to the wrong thinking and weakness not strength. Concentrate on being the best not the biggest
Not saying we should be cocky, rightfully we are going to be in League 2. But let's shed this negative attitude of being in fear of every single club we play against. This eternal pessimism is far more corrosive than any cockiness about our size.

Terry Gibson's perm

I expect yo be relegated this year, but if the owners make an effort and bring in the correct players early I would be disappointed not to come straight back up and the following year to be promoted to the championship.

But this is ccfc and sisu so we should be down by Easter next year.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Not saying we should be cocky, rightfully we are going to be in League 2. But let's shed this negative attitude of being in fear of every single club we play against. This eternal pessimism is far more corrosive than any cockiness about our size.

Then you concentrate on being the best you can be, have players that believe in it and the drive to see it through. Size of club does not come in to it. Pessimism won't change until the team consistently achieve. We shouldn't see ourselves as second to anyone..... but that's going to take mental strength and well founded realism from all concerned.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I think pessimism comes from the top Venus and Slade spent an awful lot of time saying how good the opposition were instead of showing them we have strengths too. Always seemed far too negative.

Paxman II

I think I already eluded to it but lovely Grendel decided it was waffle. While he goes off to contemplate he is the biggest attention seeker on this forum let me reiterate.
We will be the biggest fish in league 2. We will have the same response as in league 1...teams will come to the Ricoh in awe compared to what they are used to and as Older58 points out they will raise their game. But I think we have had that in league 1.
We must knuckle down and realise we are we are where we are and our squad will reflect that. Its what MR's does and who he keeps that will truly make it matter. It could be argued if we start well and the likes of Haynes, Thomas, DKE, Stevenson are still here we could be very good. That may be the hard sell MR has to give those players promising all he can do for an immediate return to league 1. Without them i fear we could just struggle as much as in league 1.

rockdude101

It's a bit worrying when every club in League 2 has scored more than us this season! By current statistics I think we'd be joint 5th worst defensively as well! We've won exactly five games this year, only Rotherham have won fewer (4) !

I totally agree about not living in the past, but the statistics this year do not show us as this big team coming down into a smaller bowl. The bookies will tempt punters with short odds but the truth is that this current squad would struggle in L2.

Grendel

I
I think I already eluded to it but lovely Grendel decided it was waffle. While he goes off to contemplate he is the biggest attention seeker on this forum let me reiterate.
We will be the biggest fish in league 2. We will have the same response as in league 1...teams will come to the Ricoh in awe compared to what they are used to and as Older58 points out they will raise their game. But I think we have had that in league 1.
We must knuckle down and realise we are we are where we are and our squad will reflect that. Its what MR's does and who he keeps that will truly make it matter. It could be argued if we start well and the likes of Haynes, Thomas, DKE, Stevenson are still here we could be very good. That may be the hard sell MR has to give those players promising all he can do for an immediate return to league 1. Without them i fear we could just struggle as much as in league 1.

It wasn't aimed at you. It was the OP - the only point of this absurd thread is for him to vent his spleen. He can't stand robins as he exposed how shockingly bad his hero thorn was. This whole thread is geared to chuck in as many negative robins comments as he can.

He failed to gain any support for his laughable view on robins and the players he inherited.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think Robins is the best we could have hoped for after that last effort, with hindsight on Saturday I would have picked Rawson and not Turnbull as he likes the physical battle more.

Skyblueweeman

To be honest, and maybe a little controversially, I'm really not bothered about results until the end of the season (bar the 2nd April). We're down and have a sh!t squad. As a couple of others have pointed out and I've said before, I'd want him to bin off any loans not here next season and start working with the nucleus of next seasons squad.

This season is a write off and only a day out at Wembley and potentially some fight from our contracted players for next season, can make the run in a little more palatable.

dongonzalos

It was actually to try and dampen expectations of an average manager working under the stewardship of SISU. So we don't get another managerial casualty next season when we are not storming the league.
Somehow MR is to get a higher player budget whist our revenue is about to fall. Our primary aim is a breakeven budget and I suspect we haven't gone to SISU yet asking for our budget for next year, but hey ho I am sure MR will get a bigger budget.
This unlikely event coupled with the fact that MR has shown in his following managerial positions after us that he is not some guru who is a fantastic manager. He inherited a good team added some quality to it and it performed as it should have been when he was here.
We need to be realistic and give the bloke sometime, I do not expect promotion next season. I expect under the circus of the manner this club is run that it would take him three years to try and get his ethos flowing in the club and us to start mounting a challenge with you kids and sprinkle of experienced hard working driven players in the 4 key positions GK, CB, CM and Striker

Grendel

It was actually to try and dampen expectations of an average manager working under the stewardship of SISU. So we don't get another managerial casualty next season when we are not storming the league.
Somehow MR is to get a higher player budget whist our revenue is about to fall. Our primary aim is a breakeven budget and I suspect we haven't gone to SISU yet asking for our budget for next year, but hey ho I am sure MR will get a bigger budget.
This unlikely event coupled with the fact that MR has shown in his following managerial positions after us that he is not some guru who is a fantastic manager. He inherited a good team added some quality to it and it performed as it should have been when he was here.
We need to be realistic and give the bloke sometime, I do not expect promotion next season. I expect under the circus of the manner this club is run that it would take him three years to try and get his ethos flowing in the club and us to start mounting a challenge with you kids and sprinkle of experienced hard working driven players in the 4 key positions GK, CB, CM and Striker

Robins didn't "fail" at his last two clubs. His initial mandate was survival. He does also create working structures at clubs that generally work post his departure.

He record here is anything but average.

The team he inherited was so "good" it was winless had an aura of defeat low morale and a losing mentality. He clearly can turn that round. Oh and it soon capitulated when he departed.

His record in lower leagues is good and he is better at working at this level than anyone we had since him

Users who are viewing this thread