Exeter (H) (2 Viewers)

covmark

Oh and as for the song the Exeter fans constantly sang through the second half, it's a song about one of their late strikers who passed away at the age of 32 of bowel cancer. Nice touch :)

Adam Stansfield

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Avg performance, good result

2 brilliant finishes from phillips and although mquoid was poor was good to see him keeping his goal scoring up.

Were still very reluctant to attack though, first instinct is to pass backwards. That's fine in terms of ball retention etc but it can't be our mentality for majority of game.

Also burge showed why allaopp is number 1

Burge filled me with zero confidence, more than Allsopp usually does! In the first half I'm sure he just kept getting head rushes and though 'I'm having that!'

Otis

Avg performance, good result

2 brilliant finishes from phillips and although mquoid was poor was good to see him keeping his goal scoring up.

Were still very reluctant to attack though, first instinct is to pass backwards. That's fine in terms of ball retention etc but it can't be our mentality for majority of game.

Also burge showed why allaopp is number 1

We were much brighter though 2nd half once the kids came on. they were fresh, lively and inventive and had a desire for forwards movement for the most part.

Thought Maddison looked excellent. Young Thomas seems a handful too.

I was proud as punch when we got to the stage of 9 of the 11 players out there all coming from our academy.

A lot of promise for the future hopefully.

Nick

Administrator
I also think Connor Thomas improved in the second half. I don't know if it was because Fleck wasn't there, Maddison was on or what.

stupot07

I also think Connor Thomas improved in the second half. I don't know if it was because Fleck wasn't there, Maddison was on or what.

I think it was, it was like he took a bit more responsibility instead of I need to pass to fleck, he also played a lot further up the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
I think it was, it was like he took a bit more responsibility instead of I need to pass to fleck, he also played a lot further up the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Yeah, as Finch then seemed to push up and sit in front of Clarke and Willis. Finch improved in that role also.

stupot07

No sign of Barton...,,,it doesn't bode well.

Yeah, finch was much better in midfield.

SkyBlue_Bear83

No sign of Barton...,,,it doesn't bode well.

Yeah, finch was much better in midfield.

More significantly no Daniels either after he was challenged to win a first team spot a few weeks ago.

stupot07

More significantly no Daniels either after he was challenged to win a first team spot a few weeks ago.

True although Daniels has only just turned 20, where as Bartons 24 in a couple of months - he should be playing week in week out at that age.

Terry Gibson's perm

I was quite impressed with the youngsters tonight and the club/fans have a lot to thank Gregor Rioch for as most of those players must have played under him. I hope Phillips turns out to be half as good as his dad as he was excellent for us.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sky Blue John advocating that we play our worse players to keep the better ones out of the shop window was a first.

SkyBlue_Bear83

True although Daniels has only just turned 20, where as Bartons 24 in a couple of months - he should be playing week in week out at that age.

Yea but we knew Barton isn't wanted so it isn't that surprising.

Daniels was only being talked up by the manager a week or so ago and today would have been an ideal opportunity to play him.

Whilst we're talking about Barton, true story this, I was listening to talksport last week and a Newcastle fan phoned up saying he wanted Newcastle to sign Adam Barton from Coventry or someone like him. Described him as a big lad who could put the ball away, I think the poor chap was under the impression he was a striker, must have had his brain addled somehow.

Terry Gibson's perm

Daniels was only being talked up by the manager a week or so ago and today would have been an ideal opportunity to play him.

Whilst we're talking about Barton, true story this, I was listening to talksport last week and a Newcastle fan phoned up saying he wanted Newcastle to sign Adam Barton from Coventry or someone like him. Described him as a big lad who could put the ball away, I think the poor chap was under the impression he was a striker, must have had his brain addled somehow.

I thought that I had heard that to but thought that my mind was playing tricks on me.

RoboCCFC90

Billy Daniels had an ankle injury sustained at Halesowen..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

And guess what?

Thomas cannot pass - Err, yes he can. At times last night his passing was very good and he was spraying the ball about the park.

Thomas cannot tacke - Err, yes he can. Put in at least 3 good strong tackles last night.

Thomas is lazy - Errr, last night he never stopped running and working hard for the entire 90 mins.

Thomas has no skill - Err, yes he has. Twice last night he showed a bit of fancy footwork and got past his man.

Awaits retort of 'Ah, but it was only Exeter.'

He can either pass or he can't and last night he proved that he can.

He grew as the game got on and in the end he and Maddison were running the show in midfield. As soon as he became the senior midfielder in the middle he took on the mantle and became the midfield general.

Think it just proves that he usually is deployed to take on the subserviant role and do the donkey work to allow Fleck and O'Brien to flourish.

He had a good game last night.

RoboCCFC90

And guess what?

Thomas cannot pass - Err, yes he can. At times last night his passing was very good and he was spraying the ball about the park.

Thomas cannot tacke - Err, yes he can. Put in at least 3 good strong tackles last night.

Thomas is lazy - Errr, last night he never stopped running and working hard for the entire 90 mins.

Thomas has no skill - Err, yes he has. Twice last night he showed a bit of fancy footwork and got past his man.

He grew as the game got on and in the end he and Maddison were running the show in midfield. As soon as he became the senior midfielder in the middle he took on the mantle and became the midfield general.

Think it just proves that he usually is deployed to take on the subserviant role and do the donkey work to allow Fleck and O'Brien to flourish.

It's like the Wolves game last season Otis, Conor can do it at times, but needs to be more consistent.

Otis

It's like the Wolves game last season Otis, Conor can do it at times, but needs to be more consistent.

Oh, I agree. Agree wholeheartedly. I'm not even a fan of his, but I do feel I have to repsond when people are throwing unjustified shit his way.

Some were calling him almost a non footballer.

Hobo

And guess what?

I agree, but like most players he needs confidence and perhaps the support/competition of another player in the squad. I think both Thomas and Fleck have suffered from being over played. Centre Mid is a weak point in our squad along with goalkeeper.

Thomas was superb at Wolves last season.

Maddison is promising but don't think he will be really pushing till the end of this season or start of next season.

Otis

I agree, but like most players he needs confidence and perhaps the support/competition of another player in the squad. I think both Thomas and Fleck have suffered from being over played. Centre Mid is a weak point in our squad along with goalkeeper.

Thomas was superb at Wolves last season.

Maddison is promising but don't think he will be really pushing till the end of this season or start of next season.

The one thing that worries me about Maddison is that he is very slight. Think he needs to beef up somewhat for this physical league.

stupot07

I know what you're saying (although rob says Daniels is injured), but given Barton made a rate appearance on the bench on Saturday, I thought he'd been brought back into the fold, so was surprised he wasn't even on the squad last night.

Ha ha that sums up "the best fans in the world", "proper Footbal fans".

covcity4life

Burge filled me with zero confidence, more than Allsopp usually does! In the first half I'm sure he just kept getting head rushes and though 'I'm having that!'

he thought he was manuel neuer but in reality hes neuer close! hehehe

in all seriousness i wonder if being a local lad hes been told by fans that we not happy with allsopps commanding of area? perhaps he over did it last night to look better to fans especially? food for thought.

Otis

he thought he was manuel neuer but in reality hes neuer close! hehehe

in all seriousness i wonder if being a local lad hes been told by fans that we not happy with allsopps commanding of area? perhaps he over did it last night to look better to fans especially? food for thought.

Could well be CC4L. Would make sense that, that he set out to show he had command of his area.

Hobo

The one thing that worries me about Maddison is that he is very slight. Think he needs to beef up somewhat for this physical league.

He is probably is still growing to be honest. Anyway SP has got him in the weights room and on a porridge diet!

Nick

Administrator
He needs to some protein down him.

I guess in a league one game he would probably get bullied in the first minute, certainly what I would do against a tricky little player to put them out of the game. Take a yellow and tell him I am going to break his legs.

Hobo

He needs to some protein down him.

I guess in a league one game he would probably get bullied in the first minute, certainly what I would do against a tricky little player to put them out of the game. Take a yellow and tell him I am going to break his legs.

Are you related to Norman Hunter? Exactly what he did to a mate of mine when he had a trial at Bristol City?

harvey098

Really enjoyed last night. Its a shame they cant keep the crowd like that for league games. Much better noise generation with us all crammed together.

Spagbol

The atmosphere was ok last night. The Exeter fans were excellent the noise they made was the best I have heard from an away side for some time. Good game last night, what was especially pleasing was that 9 of the 11 on the pitch were from the academy and majority were local lads, and weren't they good? MOM for me was Phillips, followed closely by Willis who I think is turning into a top player. Right let's hear this press conference what c*** are we going to hear now

wingy

They couldn't get afoot In for 15-20 mins of that second half.

Anyway,Pressley In or out this week ?

Users who are viewing this thread