Ex Player Watch (5 Viewers)

Winny the Bish

Cohen Brammall looked decent at LB for Colchester. Ex-Arsenal, good athlete.

Ryan Broom of Cheltenham is a good player too. Was linked with Pompey and Posh in January.

Woolly68

Aaron Martin just scored for Exeter in the second leg of the league 2 playoffs
I watch Exeter from time to time (only an hour from my house) and in my mind he has been their player of the season. Solid in defence. Good L2 standard and hopefully L1 next season.

Irish Sky Blue

I am sure he is much wealthier but had he stayed he would probably have been a regular in a promotion winning team. He may even have been like Shipley, a member of two promotion winning squads. He would certainly have played a lot more games, a result of which may have been a transfer to a higher league team at a more appropriate time for himself. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Liquid Gold

First team football is so important, so many of them go for the big payday that lasts a couple of years and then rolling round on not much for the rest of their career. If they properly backed their talent they'd want to be playing.

Cov kid 55

It was a strange signing really. A nice little player for us, but did he ever look like he would become a Premier League player? Having said that, you can’t blame him for trying, and he will have earned some more money. I hope he finds a decent club and develops his career.

johnwillomagic

George Thomas seemed a nice guy but never quite saw him as being a great player tbh - certainly not premier league standard.

That being said football is a short career and he got some good money as a premier league player, even more so with the current climate you cannot knock him for that.
Pretty sure he will still have a decent career around league one/league two levels going forward and be considerably more well off to boot from his time at Leicester.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It was a strange signing really. A nice little player for us, but did he ever look like he would become a Premier League player? Having said that, you can’t blame him for trying, and he will have earned some more money. I hope he finds a decent club and develops his career.

He seems an honest hard-working pro so hope he can go somewhere L2 (maybe 1) and work up. Don't think he's got the technical quality to play at the top level but should be able to wearn a decent living as a pro.

I reckon he chose Leicester initially cos he's a Leicester lad - hometown team etc.

SlowerThanPlatt

Tbf we’ve been doing exactly the same recently signing a player who was in a first team at a lower level to play in our 23s in the hope they get into the first team and develop into a sellable asset. Allassani, Bosma, Walters etc. I wonder if they regret moving here?

Liquid Gold

Tbf we’ve been doing exactly the same recently signing a player who was in a first team at a lower level to play in our 23s in the hope they get into the first team and develop into a sellable asset. Allassani, Bosma, Walters etc. I wonder if they regret moving here?
Bit different when they're moving from the Dog & Duck where they pay to play to CCFC where they're a pro footballer to one going from earning well over the average wage getting game experience in the lower league to earning eye watering money for doing nothing.

Ring Of Steel

George Thomas released by Leicester. Classic example of a player being badly advised.

I don’t see any justification to say that. He was playing for a bottom division club, signed for his home town club in the Premier League, made a lot of money, and will now get snapped up by someone.

He might have stayed & got seriously injured in the very next game, might have lost form or been dropped for some reason- it’s a notoriously short & unpredictable career in football and when a chance like that comes up you’d be a total idiot not to take it.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

George Thomas released by Leicester. Classic example of a player being badly advised.
Disagree. He was a player with massive limitations. He was an above average player in the worst team we’ve had.

he took the chance to go to the prem, probably trebled his wages, knowing he wouldn’t go further than league 2

was crap at Scunthorpe in league one aswell

still I’ll always remember the sweetest goal at Wembley. I’ll wish him well for that move alone

Irish Sky Blue

Disagree. He was a player with massive limitations. He was an above average player in the worst team we’ve had.

he took the chance to go to the prem, probably trebled his wages, knowing he wouldn’t go further than league 2

was crap at Scunthorpe in league one aswell

still I’ll always remember the sweetest goal at Wembley. I’ll wish him well for that move alone
I don't know how he did overall in his time at Scunthorpe but I did see him play against us at Glanville Park. We lost 2-1 and I thought he played well.

tisza

First team football is so important, so many of them go for the big payday that lasts a couple of years and then rolling round on not much for the rest of their career. If they properly backed their talent they'd want to be playing.
Difficult for these youngsters. Being offered 10,15 times or more their current wages.
It's the same for these academy players who are plundered from non-PL academies - parents offered all sorts of incentives.Yet overwhelming percentage end up in lower league (often non-league) football.
Liverpool even introduced a 40 grand a year wage cap for youth players!!

Gibbo

Bit different when they're moving from the Dog & Duck where they pay to play to CCFC where they're a pro footballer to one going from earning well over the average wage getting game experience in the lower league to earning eye watering money for doing nothing.
Personally I'd take the eye watering money and then use the kudos of being a Prem player (of sorts) to get the next job a bit higher than I would have had I stayed with us.

mark82

None of those players were at a level where they paid to play. They wouldn't have got much for playing but all would've been paid footballers. In fact, the comparative step up in wage was probably far more for Thomas.

higgs

Played 22 times in the Eredivisie this season. Only scored twice though. Was surprised to find out he's still only 22.
One in 11 surprised with that I thought he would be more prolific pity he didn't get a chance under Tony he might have stayed with us

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

One in 11 surprised with that I thought he would be more prolific pity he didn't get a chance under Tony he might have stayed with us

I think if he'd chosen to stay he'd have been involved in the first team the season after, which isn't bad for an 18yo. But despite supposedly wanting first team football he went to Everton where he was never going to play. Did decent enough in their U23 and they wanted to keep him but he chose to move again. At least he's getting games now.

Terry Gibson's perm

You have to think that Sambou is not going to progress as far as we thought as strikers tend to score freely in the Dutch league and then find it a bit more tricky here. He maybe should have stayed here but I guess he has made a few quid in going to Everton

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He looked to have serious potential

His stats in his last academy year were boosted by a couple of great performances in the Youth Cup. On his day he looked like he could tear you apart but other days was totally ineffective. You could judge the game he was going to have within 10-15mins and if he wasn't 'on it' you may as well have taken him off because it was highly unlikely to get better. In comparison Kyle Finn only scored 2 less goals than him in his 2 years in the academy playing as an attacking midfielder. Ponticelli looked like he had far more potential at the same stage as he always looked dangerous and like he would get a goal.

Users who are viewing this thread