Ex Player Watch (23 Viewers)

oucho

Hermann Hreiderrssonn (yeah, whatever) joins Southend as assistant manager under Sol Campbell. Andy/Andrew Cole also joining them as coach. Another team who are keen on ex-Pompey lads.

Terry Gibson's perm

Maybe they only had one ball left after he had sliced all of the other ones outside the ground and to avoid a postponement took him off

DannyThomas_1981

I was at Swindon tonight as they beat Stevenage 1-0. Chris Stokes played centre back in a back 5. It is a shame for him, to promotions out of this league and he finds himself playing for the team at the very bottom. His mood won’t have been helped as Swindon scored in the 90th minute.

Agreed ISB. Stokes is a really decent bloke as well. Very good memories of his time with us.

Gazolba

Lee Burge has just been taken off at HT for Sunderland. Doesn’t seem like an injury either.
Burge is injured and will be out for a few weeks according to the Sunderland fans forum.

Gazolba

Marc McNulty scored in normal time of the 1-1 draw, but failed to score his penalty, as Oxford United defeated Sunderland via a penalty shoot out in the EFL Cup.
Burge was not in goal for Sunderland (see my previous post).

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

Baker-Richardson scored against Liverpool’s U23s.

Sky Blue Harry H

Seems to be shaky territory for Derby for me. How can they sack Keogh who wasn't one of the men driving and didn't flee the scene but not sack the other two.
The punishment has to be inline with others, and it isn't so could be shaky at an employment tribunal etc.

Keogh injured 33, no resale value = liability
Bennett, Lawrence - not injured, younger = assets

Hypocrisy by the club imo.

Irish Sky Blue

Seems to be shaky territory for Derby for me. How can they sack Keogh who wasn't one of the men driving and didn't flee the scene but not sack the other two.
The punishment has to be inline with others, and it isn't so could be shaky at an employment tribunal etc.
I can’t see how this is fair. If the other two had been sacked as well then maybe fair enough. Keogh on the face of it seems the least guilty of the three but has been given the harshest punishment. His age and the severity of his injury seem to have counted against him. Seeing that he is was 24k a week it was hardly surprising he left us to go to Derby. I liked Keogh as a player but 24k seems a lot for someone who has never played in the top flight.

Tommo1993

Interested to see how it develops. Couldn’t he take it to tribunal? I’d imagine Derby would be in trouble for unfair dismissal, especially when it comes down to the other two players.

BigadamL

I find it strange how if he would of excepted reduced money he wouldn’t of done gross misconduct and was ok, but because he said no it’s not ok and it was gross misconduct.

so actually the gross misconduct was not taking a pay cut, not the involvement in the crash

better days

A cynical view is that Derby have decided to sack him as he wouldn't negotiate. They can always do a deal on the court room steps if he sues them
If he wasn't injured it would be very different

Liquid Gold

Basically the other two, while having committed gross misconduct, can still perform their job. Keogh has committed it leaving him unable to perform the job he's contracted to do. It's definitely dodgy and the other two were more in the wrong but I can see why Derby think they could argue a case.

Sick Boy

Basically the other two, while having committed gross misconduct, can still perform their job. Keogh has committed it leaving him unable to perform the job he's contracted to do. It's definitely dodgy and the other two were more in the wrong but I can see why Derby think they could argue a case.

Good point, in the real world he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if he was unable to do his job due to misconduct.

chiefdave

Good point, in the real world he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if he was unable to do his job due to misconduct.
That can be the only thing they can argue when it reaches court but I can see them struggling.

Keogh will say he was attending a club event, wasn't drink driving and wasn't charged with any offence.

He can also bring up the comments of the judge that sentenced the two drivers "The readings before me in terms of drink drive, are not the highest".

Personally I'd have sacked all three and think clubs should have much more power to sack players but that's not how these things work.

SBAndy

Keogh injured 33, no resale value = liability
Bennett, Lawrence - not injured, younger = assets

Hypocrisy by the club imo.

I know that’s the generally accepted idea, that clubs are more lenient on younger players due to resale value, but thinking back to the Adrian Mutu case, weren’t Chelsea allowed to claim compensation from the club he signed for (Fiorentina?) after they sacked him?

stupot07

You'd think Keogh has a case for age related discrimination under the Equalities Act, if the other two players dont suffer the same fate. He wasnt even the drink driving.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

That can be the only thing they can argue when it reaches court but I can see them struggling.

Keogh will say he was attending a club event, wasn't drink driving and wasn't charged with any offence.

He can also bring up the comments of the judge that sentenced the two drivers "The readings before me in terms of drink drive, are not the highest".

Personally I'd have sacked all three and think clubs should have much more power to sack players but that's not how these things work.

The club would argue that they turned down the club provided transport and decided to carry on drinking

oucho

I was just about to post that. Seems a bit odd seeing as the players driving haven't been sacked. Must be more to it.

Edit: There is more to it now I've actually read the article. Crazy I know, easier to survive on headlines.

Tell us more? What's the missing link that explains this? My reaction has been as other posters but do share if you know different....

Not now he's badly injured for 18 months he doesn't!!

Sick Boy

Tell us more? What's the missing link that explains this? My reaction has been as other posters but do share if you know different....

Not now he's badly injured for 18 months he doesn't!!

haha I was going to post the same

Fergusons_Beard

Re Keogh-he can’t even drive. He hasn’t got a licence.

So very difficult for club to pin drink driving on him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mcbean

With Becks ( Rooney :) ) coming in they needed to make room for a new captain !

Last edited:

hill83

I initially thought they’d just sacked him and couldn’t understand why they hadn’t sacked the other two players who’d actually been driving. But I can half understand why they have and they offered him reduced wages and he turned it down. The other two players have still have something to offer he doesn’t. He’s got himself injured and possibly ended his career and it’s his own fault.

As others have mentioned it may go to tribunal etc. All that is basically a long way of saying there’s more to it than they’ve just sacked him. Nothing more.

oucho

I initially thought they’d just sacked him and couldn’t understand why they hadn’t sacked the other two players who’d actually been driving. But I can half understand why they have and they offered him reduced wages and he turned it down. The other two players have still have something to offer he doesn’t. He’s got himself injured and possibly ended his career and it’s his own fault.

As others have mentioned it may go to tribunal etc. All that is basically a long way of saying there’s more to it than they’ve just sacked him. Nothing more.

OK thanks - I do think that it's harsh that they've issued a more severe punishment to him than to the two drivers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread