Ex Player Watch (13 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Byron Wilson, a 17 year old right back who we released has signed for Brentford.
When was he released? I thought he'd been in U18 squads this year. Or perhaps there's more than one Wilson - it's not an unccommon name.

Seems a bit odd for us to release someone and them to be taken on by a PL team.

We don't get a great deal of info on the academy anymore. maybe it's a safeguarding issue but we haven't had an introduction to this years U18 intake, they didn't announce which of last year's were taken on/released and you rarely see a teamsheet for games, just result and maybe the scorers.

cowboy1850

He was released in the summer according to the Brentford site.

Transfermarkt is a good place to find under-18 squads but they don't seem to be updating stats on our season, as you said.

edgy

Clive Clarke.

I have no recollection of this guy at all! But saw his name mentioned in an old team sheet and thought I'd look into it.

Copy from Wiki:
Clarke joined Sunderland as a replacement for the injured George McCartney.[8] However, he made only four appearances before joining Coventry City on loan in October 2006[9] until January 2007[10] after which he returned to Sunderland. He made twelve appearances for Coventry but made no further appearances for Sunderland after returning from loan.[2]

Clarke later signed a three-month loan deal with Leicester City on 16 August 2007.[11] During the League Cup tie between Nottingham Forest and Leicester on 28 August 2007, Clarke collapsed and suffered a cardiac arrest in the changing rooms at the City Ground causing the match to be abandoned at half-time, with the score at 1–0.[12][13] It was reported by the BBC that Clarke was being treated in the emergency room at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham. He was said to be 'stable' and would be kept in overnight.[12]

In an act of sportsmanship, Leicester allowed Forest to score the opening goal on the re-match to regain the advantage they had when the first game was abandoned. Leicester players stood aside to allow Forest goalkeeper Paul Smith to take in the ball from the kick-off. Reportedly even the bookmakers decided to pay out on the scorer of the first contested goal as well as paying out on both the 3–2 official result and the 3–1 "real" scoreline.[14]

Clarke told the BBC on 2 September 2007 that he felt lucky to be alive.[15]

"I remember feeling a bit lethargic on the field in the first half, and I was involved in a collision with our goalkeeper Paul Henderson, which led to their goal. I sat quietly in a corner of the dressing room and felt a bit queasy. I can recall Patrick Kisnorbo talking to me, but it wasn't really registering. Then I just passed out. When I was told what had happened, the blood drained from my body. I just thought I could have been dead, and that I might never have seen my family again. When you think about Sevilla player Antonio Puerta (who collapsed last Saturday and died on Tuesday), it goes without saying that a day won't pass when I don't cherish every moment in my life".

Clarke told Sky Sports on 12 September 2007 that he was still hopeful of playing again,[16] but he never made another appearance for Leicester following the incident, and he returned to Sunderland in November 2007. He left Sunderland by mutual agreement in February 2008 after medical advice.[17]

fernandopartridge

Clive Clarke.

I have no recollection of this guy at all! But saw his name mentioned in an old team sheet and thought I'd look into it.

Copy from Wiki:
Clarke joined Sunderland as a replacement for the injured George McCartney.[8] However, he made only four appearances before joining Coventry City on loan in October 2006[9] until January 2007[10] after which he returned to Sunderland. He made twelve appearances for Coventry but made no further appearances for Sunderland after returning from loan.[2]

Clarke later signed a three-month loan deal with Leicester City on 16 August 2007.[11] During the League Cup tie between Nottingham Forest and Leicester on 28 August 2007, Clarke collapsed and suffered a cardiac arrest in the changing rooms at the City Ground causing the match to be abandoned at half-time, with the score at 1–0.[12][13] It was reported by the BBC that Clarke was being treated in the emergency room at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham. He was said to be 'stable' and would be kept in overnight.[12]

In an act of sportsmanship, Leicester allowed Forest to score the opening goal on the re-match to regain the advantage they had when the first game was abandoned. Leicester players stood aside to allow Forest goalkeeper Paul Smith to take in the ball from the kick-off. Reportedly even the bookmakers decided to pay out on the scorer of the first contested goal as well as paying out on both the 3–2 official result and the 3–1 "real" scoreline.[14]

Clarke told the BBC on 2 September 2007 that he felt lucky to be alive.[15]

"I remember feeling a bit lethargic on the field in the first half, and I was involved in a collision with our goalkeeper Paul Henderson, which led to their goal. I sat quietly in a corner of the dressing room and felt a bit queasy. I can recall Patrick Kisnorbo talking to me, but it wasn't really registering. Then I just passed out. When I was told what had happened, the blood drained from my body. I just thought I could have been dead, and that I might never have seen my family again. When you think about Sevilla player Antonio Puerta (who collapsed last Saturday and died on Tuesday), it goes without saying that a day won't pass when I don't cherish every moment in my life".

Clarke told Sky Sports on 12 September 2007 that he was still hopeful of playing again,[16] but he never made another appearance for Leicester following the incident, and he returned to Sunderland in November 2007. He left Sunderland by mutual agreement in February 2008 after medical advice.[17]
I remember him, Irish left sided defender. In my head he looked a bit like Gary Breen

cowboy1850

Another player I can't recall is Barry Ferguson, a youth teamer here between 1998 and 2002. His 18 year old son Evan Ferguson is at Brighton and the Irish fans think he'll be a massive player for the national team.

pusbccfc

The Philosopher

I suggested at the end of last season that we keep Jones on contract with a view to a back to back loan at about the level he’s at (ie find a club to cover / part cover his wages with a recall option). We paid him throughout his injury time and let him go when nearly mended. Strange financial strategy that and he’s still quite young. A few more games like that and we could have recalled and had him play the O’Hare role. He knows how we play.

MR has made some great decisions. This wasn’t one of them IMO.

Hertsccfc

I suggested at the end of last season that we keep Jones on contract with a view to a back to back loan at about the level he’s at (ie find a club to cover / part cover his wages with a recall option). We paid him throughout his injury time and let him go when nearly mended. Strange financial strategy that and he’s still quite young. A few more games like that and we could have recalled and had him play the O’Hare role. He knows how we play.

MR has made some great decisions. This wasn’t one of them IMO.
I really liked Jodi Jones but this is a bit much after one good match in the National League.

Happy_Martian

James McPake is increasing his post-playing ratings. Currently manager of Dunfermline, he's now being considered for the Motherwell job. May not be the best move. Dunfermline are 7 points clear at the top of Scottish League One whilst Motherwell are joint bottom of the Scottish Prem. Based on their current form, both clubs could face each other next season in the Scottish Championship.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Watching FC Utrecht vs PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands at the moment. Left back for PSV was shit and got subbed off. Turned out it was Patrick van Aanholt.

ccfc1234

Seeing James Maddison as captain of Leicester really doesn’t sit right
Looks like he might be on the move in the summer. I am sure we didn't but imagine we have a clause that because he is a Coventry graduate we get 5% of every future transfer he makes. 60 million to Newcastle would net us a tidy sum!!

Happy_Martian

Notts County again...

Jodi Jones played the first 73 minutes of their 4-0 win over Southend United. He was subbed and replaced by another ex-Cov player, Jim O'Brien. Neither player got on the score sheet this time around.

ccfctommy

Another player I can't recall is Barry Ferguson, a youth teamer here between 1998 and 2002. His 18 year old son Evan Ferguson is at Brighton and the Irish fans think he'll be a massive player for the national team.
I had no idea he was Barry Ferguson's son!

The Philosopher

Just come back from India and see that Aidy Boothroyd is a manager over there at Jamshedpur.

Thought he’d have done better for us, no idea why it all went wrong. (There’s no ex. Manager thread so I’ll stick it here).

fernandopartridge

Just come back from India and see that Aidy Boothroyd is a manager over there at Jamshedpur.

Thought he’d have done better for us, no idea why it all went wrong. (There’s no ex. Manager thread so I’ll stick it here).

It all went wrong because he was very one dimensional and teams work out how to defend against it. I also don't think good players are particularly motivated by it either.

Users who are viewing this thread