Everybody Calm Down (3 Viewers)

Basicly folks lets get new manager in (experienced in my opinion) and see where we go. Season has just started we haven't been played off the park, with the right motivation and direction top half/play-offs can be achieved.

Chinny_Hill

There are a lot of points made throughout this thread that are fairly staggering. To be honest I think the players get off lightly, and the only suprise for me is the 9500 people continue to show up to watch the standard of football that is on show. The sheer unawareness of just how bad we are illustrated by Richard Shaw's interview is typical of just how bad things have got. Clearly there is no leader, and there is no clear strategy either. Combine that with basic footballing weaknesses (not being able to retain possession whilst we have it, or even control a ball when it arrives at your feet, not being able to clear the first man with a cross just to begin with) and an ability from anyone on the coaching staff to see where certain players could make a difference and support their development puts us where we are are in the table. Its easy to focus on Money, and that's what all at the club seem to be doing. We are a bigger club than the level we are at, but the only positive at the whole club over the last 5 years is and continues to be, its fan base. All the rest, top to bottom, really really don't have a clue, and sadly for us, dont seem to care either.

It needs a complete change.

The next managerial appointment is the biggest in our recent history. We need a leader, and someone with a long term plan for our progression, combined with autonomy to enable him to deliver his vision.

Diehard Si

Basicly folks lets get new manager in (experienced in my opinion) and see where we go. Season has just started we haven't been played off the park, with the right motivation and direction top half/play-offs can be achieved.
yes, indeed it can.

If anything I think we've been the better side in some of these games we havn't won.

It's just a complete lack of confidence and negative atmosphere. I was hoping Shaw would fix this, but if anything we are perhaps slightly worse at it now.

We show glimpses of utter brilliance, we concede a sloppy goal and look utterly devoid of any ideas all of a sudden.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Calm down?! While we keep losing to the footballing behemoths like Stevenage and Crewe I'm going to continue to be spitting. It's just not acceptable.

sky_blue_up_north

Lots of mention of leadership, I really beleive this is a big part of the problem. Look at out great captain in the past, non of them would have put up with lack of passion we seem to show. The likes of Curtis, Yorath, Kilcline. I beleive the last decent captain we have was Dennis Wise, he drove the team on, that is something we are sadly missing. Kilbane is certainly not that type of player. Perhaps the new manager can bring in one or two loans that added the desire to win.

Black6Osprey

It's not an excuse, the bloke's barely played half a dozen games having come back from serious injury.

Ah okay that's the excuse.

Well Barton says he feels fine, he's been training now for longer than any preseason and played half a dozen games plus the U21 bits so I expect him to be able slot a decent pass or run beyond our strikers and when you lose the ball to at least run after it.

Tomh111

I think that throughout this thread people make some valid points and while I agree we were the better team today I do think the outpouring of negativity is somewhat justified.

Some of what I now rant about may not be appropriate to this particular thread but I think it all needs saying.

As fans we have put up with countless years of mediocre shit, years where we either under perform or are expected to fall into mid table obscurity, This season however was supposed to be different, this season we are the big fish in a small pond, this season we arent going to tolerate the mediocrity that seems to come hand in hand with this club. I am both shocked, horrified and angered by the shambles that is my club but right now more than ever the club needs the supporters to get behind it.

Booing players does not work, it gets their backs up and increases the pressure they are under and very often they will know themselves that they ar having a shit game without having 9,000 of their own fans abusing them. All of them are aware of the spectators expectations and must understand they are falling short of them without having the fans booing them on a matchday adding to the loosing mentality, adding to the lack of morale in the squad. People talk about the mentality in the squad without thinking of what they can do to change it, and maybe the fans believing the players can turn it around may mean that they believe in themselves some more.

While I personally dont think Dennis Wise is the answer to our problems we do need more than ever to bring in a manager with flair, charisma and a winning attitude that will force the players who want to win to step up and clear out the ones who are happy with mediocrity. If Dennis Wise fits that bill then bring him in and I will give him a fair shot at the job, but I feel we need to look outside of the obvious and hopefully someone on the shortlist fits the bill. I know that is easier said than done and is why I am happy I dont have to make the ultimate decision but I really hope that the people that do make the right choice.

I said previously we were the better team today but rightly or wrongly that wasn't reflected in the scoreline. Throughout the match what I thought was evident was the urgency and desire of the Stevenage players and staff to win and take what to them must be a large scalp, something that our players seemed to be devoid of. They won nearly all the 50-50's they out muscled and outpaced us, they out passed us and ultimately outscored us. We need to get used to it and work out how to counteract it because it is going to keep happening and that is where the manager is going to earn his keep.

I have thought for many years that the main on field weakness of Coventry has been the absence of pace and at the minute that is being used against us by teams with less technical ability but greater physical attributes. Today in particular our back 4 were out muscled by there centre forwards and out paced down the flanks by their wingers. It is something that needs addressing fast if we are to have any modicum of success.

Anyway rant over for now.

stringyb92

Calm down? Is that some joke or did you not go to the game, we are awful at the moment! I actually dont see any light at the end of this tunnel. Maybe Thorn was doing an acceptable job or will the Thorn effect last for ages? I thought we would get easily promoted but we wont know. Blown it

Covstu

We huffed and puffed in the first half and blew one house down. We then backed off let the, rebuild and make a feckin hotel build an army and run over us! Disallowed goals or not you play to the whistle but again we did not turn up for the second half.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

It's as bad as I ve ever seen. Question. What is our level? What league can we dominate

At the moment these players seem so bereft of confidence I think they wouldn't grace the Blue Square Premiership - perhaps our pre-season defeat to Nuneaton was no fluke. I don't think it matters who we are playing at the moment, they simply don't believe in themselves and believe they can win games of football. Most of this team have played in the Championship or higher - Kilbane Premiership, Elliott, Fleck and Jennings SPL (similar to Championship) but they don't appear to bring their previous form with them when they play for Coventry. We are less than the sum of our parts and have been for many years. For that you have to blame a sequence of managers. I'm not convinced with these players that we will ever find our level. Without wanting to sound too much like Strachan, they are mentally weak individuals.

I dont know how we can put in such a shift against the blues for so long and the turn in results like this. We need Derren Brown not Dennis Wise to install the much needed mental toughness that is clearly missing in this lot!

mark82

Some of the negativity is astounding. Yes we are in a bad position but we actually played ok today. I watched at work with a number of neutrals who all said Coventry were by far the better team on the whole. I think that CCFC fans are so ingrained with negativity that I think these sky blue tinted glasses everyone talks about actually work in reverse. If roles had been reversed today and we had won 2-1 having been outplayed and Stevenage had had 2 goals controversially chalked out everyone would be bleating on about how lucky we were.

We do have problems:- lack of manager, crap defence, dreadful owners. But all is not as bad as some make it out to be. Let's have new manager, new start and get behind the team.

If you keep saying we played ok over and over again, do you actually start believing it? I thought we were shite and i won't excuse the weak and spineless clowns.

Macca

Some of the negativity is astounding. Yes we are in a bad position but we actually played ok today. I watched at work with a number of neutrals who all said Coventry were by far the better team on the whole. I think that CCFC fans are so ingrained with negativity that I think these sky blue tinted glasses everyone talks about actually work in reverse. If roles had been reversed today and we had won 2-1 having been outplayed and Stevenage had had 2 goals controversially chalked out everyone would be bleating on about how lucky we were.

We do have problems:- lack of manager, crap defence, dreadful owners. But all is not as bad as some make it out to be. Let's have new manager, new start and get behind the team.

Mark your attitude is admirable. Personally my interest waning is not to do with today, or last week or last season. It's 30 years of the same old nothing. I ve heard that it will get better so many times and it doesn t. I think I can be excused for being cynical. Perhaps it's time I left it to the next generation who haven t yet been beaten down by it.

CJparker

we've just lost at home to Stevenage, can someone give me a genuine reason to keep calm?

If you'd said to me even 2 years ago that we would be 20th in L1 and being unsurprised at getting beaten by Stevenage at home, I would have laughed it out of the room as a ridiculously over-the-top nightmare scenario...however, it has happened today....I don't hear much anger from the fans, just resigned despair / cynicism

How has it comes to this? When we were in the Premiership, Stevenage were below the conference...now they beat us in the league and nobody is particularly surprised or outraged. It speaks volumes for the dispirited nature of the fan-base at this club that such shocking results can happen with barely a murmur of outcry

ccfcway

We do have problems:- lack of manager, crap defence, dreadful owners. But all is not as bad as some make it out to be. .

19th in League One, 3 points from 15, 4 leads lost, lowest positon in 50 odd years, no win in 6 calander months, team not looking fit, etc etc etc

its not as bad as some are making out ?

bloody hell, i am dreading the bad times

mark82

As a point of comparison Stevenage beat Sheffield Wednesday twice last year. They are doing alright now.

mark82

Mark your attitude is admirable. Personally my interest waning is not to do with today, or last week or last season. It's 30 years of the same old nothing. I ve heard that it will get better so many times and it doesn t. I think I can be excused for being cynical. Perhaps it's time I left it to the next generation who haven t yet been beaten down by it.

I know how you feel. My point was more about today's performance. People are making out like we were battered. We lost but I feel we were a little unfortunate. Stevenage are one of the best teams in this league and we outplayed them and scored 3 goals to their 2.

Grendel

I am with you. I sat there today thinking what am I doing here. I was expected better this year but it is even worse and the atmosphere is depressing. Too many more displays like that and I will be calling it a day.

Suetonius

We've changed the squad and the manager once a season for the last ten seasons. If we want to start moving upwards that has to change.

Macca

I know how you feel. My point was more about today's performance. People are making out like we were battered. We lost but I feel we were a little unfortunate. Stevenage are one of the best teams in this league and we outplayed them and scored 3 goals to their 2.

Fair point. My problem is that I dont take games in isolation anymore. Sadly my passion is virtually gone. I guess it's a natural progression. It wouldn't take a lot for it to come back. Maybe 10 barnstorming home games a year ( win or lose ) an exciting goal scorer perhaps, but ultimately just to be "in the mix" for a season, whatever the league.

The club needs a talisman in the form of a manager. Someone who does something a bit of the wall ( not to di canio levels)

stupot07

Fair point. My problem is that I dont take games in isolation anymore. Sadly my passion is virtually gone. I guess it's a natural progression. It wouldn't take a lot for it to come back. Maybe 10 barnstorming home games a year ( win or lose ) an exciting goal scorer perhaps, but ultimately just to be "in the mix" for a season, whatever the league.

The club needs a talisman in the form of a manager. Someone who does something a bit of the wall ( not to di canio levels)

We also need leaders on the pitch, especially ones that lead by example.

Users who are viewing this thread