European breakaway league (1 Viewer)

AOM

So Perez finally admits they've been working on this Super League for 3 years. They've sat there in PL meetings etc. and said nothing. Deceitful SOBs.

Wow, 3 years planning and it was dismantled within 24 hours

I'd imagine this isn't the end of it though and they'll be back with a more prepared proposal in future

AOM

Speaking on the El Larguero show on Spanish radio station Cadena Ser, Super League chairman Perez claimed all 12 clubs "have not left yet".

"You cannot get out of the contract like this - they are binding contracts," he added.
When asked what the penalty was for leaving the project, Perez did not answer.

Wonder what was actually signed?

D

Deleted member 2477

Wow, 3 years planning and it was dismantled within 24 hours

I'd imagine this isn't the end of it though and they'll be back with a more prepared proposal in future
There needs to be some form of punishment for breaking the rules to stop this happening again but there wont be as the FA and Uefa dont have the balls to upset the big six or the cash cows

Reactions: AOM

ovduk78

There needs to be some form of punishment for breaking the rules to stop this happening again but there wont be as the FA and Uefa dont have the balls to upset the big six or the cash cows
I'd love there to be a points deduction by PL but can't see PL or UEFA doing anything. Maybe BT/Sky can reduce times they are live next season but can't think they will agree with their vocal presenters and do anything about it. They could cut their PL prize money and distribute it through the football pyramid after all they only joined to help benefit football.

chiefdave

He's said its been in the works for 3 years but a couple of days ago he was claiming it was needed due to the damage covid had done to football finances. What a moron, can't even keep his story straight.

Colin Steins Smile

Following this debacle by the treasonous 6. I think UEFA will be emboldened as they've faced the ESL concept down I don't see this being resurrected for at least a decade and by then the business framework will have been changed.

tisza

Wasn't it about 18 months ago some of these PL clubs denied talks were taking place when they got busted having secret meetings (although photographed by press) ?

chiefdave

Following this debacle by the treasonous 6. I think UEFA will be emboldened as they've faced the ESL concept down I don't see this being resurrected for at least a decade and by then the business framework will have been changed.
Can't remember who it was but someone said on TV that this could remove a lot of power from the 'big 6' as their leverage has always been they will walk away and form their own league and thats now gone.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

They won’t be fine4 or have points deducted or any other punishment . They said they were going to start this super league but have they? They have talked and agreed but have they gone through with it?
What they proposed was diabolical but no worse than the way UEFA and fifa behave, selling championship league finals and World Cup finals to the highest bidders.
All of these people are as bad as each other and I include players in that.

tisza

Speaking on the El Larguero show on Spanish radio station Cadena Ser, Super League chairman Perez claimed all 12 clubs "have not left yet".

"You cannot get out of the contract like this - they are binding contracts," he added.
When asked what the penalty was for leaving the project, Perez did not answer.

Wonder what was actually signed?
maybe Heads of agreement but find it impossible to believe they'd sign anything binding without at least details of the media deals/sponsorship being in place etc

Reactions: AOM

better days

Is the Real Madrid plan now to sue the 6 English clubs to get money that way?
It could be rats fighting in a sack :)

Last edited:

Magwitch1

There’s talk on radio that clubs involved could be be banned from European and domestic competitions for a period so no Champion league or Euro competitions and banned from domestic cups too so no FA Cup or League cup that would seriously hurt their pockets and would mean their avaricious owners

Frostie

Isn't he staying on until the end of the year when he was due to leave anyway?

That's what I thought? Yet yesterday they were reporting he'd quit with immediate effect. Trying to save face by claiming he was against it all along?

AOM

There’s talk on radio that clubs involved could be be banned from European and domestic competitions for a period so no Champion league or Euro competitions and banned from domestic cups too so no FA Cup or League cup that would seriously hurt their pockets and would mean their avaricious owners

Would really like this to happen, but unfortunately can't see it.
If anything, it would probably persuade the teams to go for an ESL.2 !

Domestic competitions without the big 6 would certainly make it more interesting though

tisza

Makes no sense. Be the fastest way to resurrect the Super League and some of their fans would then back it

chiefdave

New twist rumours of a premier league revamp with Celtic & Rangers but down to 18 teams.

Even with super league dead there are going to be big changes coming. Can see smaller Prem, EFL cup gone but possibly more payments down the pyramid to compensate.Old Firm are wanted in British League as part of fall-out of failed ESL plot
That article is nuts. And the anonymous source at one club makes me think its make up rubbish or just one persons wishful thinking. The 'big 6' have just tried to get out of a Champions League with games against the likes of Rangers and Celtic as they claim nobody is interested in those games, why would they then invite them to the PL? Are they even PL standard?

Don't really have a problem with merging and forming a British League but it would need to benefit the entire Scottish game not just Rangers & Celtic and still be part of the pyramid. Just off the top of my head you could maybe have the top two division being British and then split into regional leagues as has been done in the past. There's no way lower division clubs are going to be wanting the potential of 12 hour journeys to games.

Liquid Gold

New twist rumours of a premier league revamp with Celtic & Rangers but down to 18 teams.

Even with super league dead there are going to be big changes coming. Can see smaller Prem, EFL cup gone but possibly more payments down the pyramid to compensate.Old Firm are wanted in British League as part of fall-out of failed ESL plot
*********WARNING*********

This link is to the sun so not only is it bullshit you'll be giving that hateful rag clicks

*********WARNING OVER*********

Sbarcher

*********WARNING*********

This link is to the sun so not only is it bullshit you'll be giving that hateful rag clicks

*********WARNING OVER*********
What will happen when they are independant and no longer in Britain, they'll be questions asked why we have allowed 2 "foreign" teams in our league (unlike Welsh teams who will be still in Britain).

chiefdave

The government is saying the review into football will be fan led and will include looking into a 50+1 ownership model and an independent regulator. Of course with this government its up for debate if what we end up with will be anything like what is promised.

Colin Steins Smile

The government is saying the review into football will be fan led and will include looking into a 50+1 ownership model and an independent regulator. Of course with this government its up for debate if what we end up with will be anything like what is promised.
Tracey Crouch is leading the review and she was previously an excellent Sports Minister, so have some confidence that she has a good depth of knowledge of the issues.
The problem (especially with this government) is implementing the findings of any review. They always over promise and under deliver.

Skyblueweeman

The thing is, how do you get current owners to agree that they need to give up, up to 49% of their stake...I just can't see it happening.

I'm not sure how it happened in Germany either.

If you make a sports club forcibly change their ownership strategy, surely the owners would sue along the lines of being unfairly treated. Successive governments love privatisation so why should they promote a more public ownership stance with sports clubs?

I'd love it to happen but just can't see how it works...

shmmeee

The thing is, how do you get current owners to agree that they need to give up, up to 49% of their stake...I just can't see it happening.

If you make a sports club forcibly change their ownership strategy, surely the owners would sue along the lines of being unfairly treated. Successive governments love privatisation so why should they promote a more public ownership stance with sports clubs?

Just make it a condition of entering the league like any other rule change. Legally it’s not an issue, FA’s house, FA’s rules Id imagine. Politically you aren’t going to get a better time than now.

chiefdave

I guess in theory now we're not tied to the EU we can make any laws we like and just tell them to hand it over but obviously that can't happen in practice. The taxpayer isn't going to stand for handing money over to super rich football club owners to allow them to be bought out as we all know a lot of the debt isn't real. Imagine Sepalla getting a £60m payout or Glazer getting the best part of £800m.

Could you bring in a status for football clubs that requires them to run as non-profits? Of course you still get things like ridiculous interest payments being taken out, how do you stop that? You can't just ban borrowing as some teams, particularly at the lower end, will have a genuine need, centralised borrowing via the FA so it has to be justified?

Maybe something similar to Barca where nothing major can be done without the fans getting a vote.

At least its being talked about and if supporters are being involved there will hopefully be a chance to put ideas forward.

chiefdave

Just make it a condition of entering the league like any other rule change. Legally it’s not an issue, FA’s house, FA’s rules Id imagine. Politically you aren’t going to get a better time than now.
But what would happen to the debt. If Man Utd are nearly £800m in debt and the fans are taking on a majority share in ownership are they expected to pay that off?

shmmeee

But what would happen to the debt. If Man Utd are nearly £800m in debt and the fans are taking on a majority share in ownership are they expected to pay that off?

That’s a fair question.

OK, I fall back to my previous position: give fans ownership of the golden share/naming rights of the club. Which can be leased back to the owners.

Liquid Gold

They could at least make it a condition when any change in ownership occurs. I’d love to see Man Utd’s share price fall apart after that announcement.

better days

The fan ownership thing hasn't stopped Germany becoming a one party state for football with Bayern winning the league for the past 9 seasons
Probably the best way to go is to give the teams outside the 'Big 6' more power
For example giving the majority of PL (or whole of the FL pyramid?)teams the power to expel any club that tries what the gruesome sixsome just did
Even if greedy owners might countenance leaving the PL for more money in a Super League those club's fans showed they won't stand for it
Really the fans of the Big 6 played a blinder didn't they?
Apparently fans in Spain didn't kick up any stink at all about it

Users who are viewing this thread