European breakaway league (1 Viewer)

Paul Anthony

All about the money and power. shows the regard they really hold their fans in.

AFCCOVENTRY

Uefa, PL, FA, Spanish/Italian Feds & La Liga seek to kill off European Super League: “The clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams”

Terry Gibson's perm

This is typical of the big clubs bring up this horrible idea and then renegotiate to get what they want in the champions league.

clint van damme

Well he played for United when they dropped out of the FA Cup 20 years ago in pursuit of a supra national trophy so he'd know the hypocritical wanker

I think United were forced into that by the FA so I'm not sure they're as guilty as people think.
He's benefitted from the formation of the EPL and the expansion of the Champions league though, which were building blocks to where we are now with this break away so there's definitely a valid case for calling him a hypocrite though I still think he spoke well and I agree with what he said.

hill83

I’m hearing conflicting things.
Is the plan to not play in the domestic league anymore or have this new bollocks instead of playing in the champions league?

Either way, no way is it happening. Great move by FIFA as well in response.

hill83

tbf, the Premier League being outraged is a bit rich, given that was a breakaway to squirrel more cash in their favour, and cut off the others.

Clubs outside of the premier league can still be promoted into it though. This would be a closed shop.

SBT

The pearl clutching from Man United/Liverpool fans etc over this is ridiculous. How do these people think their clubs have stayed so massive in the first place?

ccfc1234

It's Primarily the American owners who don't understand the concept or value of relegation and promotion. They see their football clubs as franchises like the others in their sporting portfolios.

I honestly throught that American soccer would adopt the European model and introduce relegation and promotion as it keeps things interesting for most fans until close to the end of the season. Nornally as there is always something to fight for.

If USA soccer leagues wish to progress they need to look at their league structure.

As for the Americans in the English game, your in the main billionaires, how dare you be so arrogant as to want to change the fabric of our game. As much as I don't like them what happened to Leicester city is a story that keeps football fans dreaming.

Gibbo

Inevitable at some point really.

Most European leagues are totally uncompetitive, with the same winner every year - Bayern, PSG, Juventus, Real madrid, Ajax. Once they decide to move, the Premier League clubs have little choice but to follow. The European games are the big money spinners, not playing away to Sheffield United or Burnley.

I'm sure in the 1880's the long standing fans of Newton Heath in the Lancashirte League cried with anguish when they changed their name to Manchester United and joined the Football League.

Oddly one impact would be that it might be worth City being promoted - we are more likly to be competitive in the rump Premier League than in the current one.

Grendel

Started a slippery slope though - clubs thinking of themselves, rather than the greater good.

And we voted for it, of course.

I suspect if this does happen the premier league will expand to two leagues and make relegation out the two leagues by proxy - don’t think we will complain

clint van damme

It's Primarily the American owners who don't understand the concept or value of relegation and promotion. They see their football clubs as franchises like the others in their sporting portfolios.

I honestly throught that American soccer would adopt the European model and introduce relegation and promotion as it keeps things interesting for most fans until close to the end of the season. Nornally as there is always something to fight for.

If USA soccer leagues wish to progress they need to look at their league structure.

As for the Americans in the English game, your in the main billionaires, how dare you be so arrogant as to want to change the fabric of our game. As much as I don't like them what happened to Leicester city is a story that keeps football fans dreaming.

true, but there are also Spaniards and Italians involved who fully understand the history and traditions of the game but are trying to push ahead with this bollocks anyway.

fernandopartridge

I reckon what will happen in the end is a compromise whereby the big 6 or whatever is allowed to retain a greater share of the PL funding with discretion over contributions to the solidarity scheme etc. Or they might push for being able to sell rights to show their matches separately

Users who are viewing this thread